What Class do you plan to play first?

Before you pass judgment, have you seen the community enhancements to Forton in this thread

Just saying, keep an open mind.  :biggrin:

That thread has made my day.

Edit: Also, likely Priest or Paladin for RP delights, although since summons look to be making a BG1 style comeback, I may end up going Druid or, god forbid, a Chanter.

Honestly, though, I've been excited by so many classes that it seems inevitable that when I finally reach character creation all my interests will cancel each other out and I'll make the same tactically inept dual-wielding fighter I make in every other RPG.

Edited by Kjaamor

I'm going to make a nerdy human monk.

He will wield swords, has average might and dexterity, but low constitution and high intelligence. And I will focus on the lore skill. He would've been better off being a wizard, but he likes swords so that's what he does.

And then I'll test if this will still be viable for the game. If it is, I'm going to dedicate the rest of my life to become that guy.

I am confident that Obsidian can give me this purpose for my life :shifty:

Edited by Doppelschwert

Come the beta I am going to play the classes in this order.

Chanter - Dwarf

Druid - Human Nature Godlike

Paladin - Aumaua/possible Death Godlike

Cipher - Orlan

Everything else after that will be pretty whimsical.  I do want to give each class a solid play through so as to discuss any major kinks in any class. 

Are racial bonuses and negatives in the Beta?  Don't want to derail the thread.  A simple yay or nay will suffice.   If so, I may change this around if the race has a detrimental stats toward to build I plan on for each class.  I would rather min/max each build to some extent during the beta than RP in its entirety.

Are racial bonuses and negatives in the Beta?  Don't want to derail the thread.  A simple yay or nay will suffice.   If so, I may change this around if the race has a detrimental stats toward to build I plan on for each class.  I would rather min/max each build to some extent during the beta than RP in its entirety.

They are in the footage shown at gamescom, and that was the beta, so they should be in, yes. Note however that it is only a total of +2 to stats so pretty neglectible anyway. You also get a +1 bonus from your background.

You're probably better off looking out for the races perks instead of the attributes and taking your background accordingly.

• Like 1

Yes, I also noticed several racial bonuses/negatives in the Gamescom videos. I actually paused for each race to look at them. Not sure if they are actually reflected in the game. I guess we'll find out soon, but I'm choosing to be optimistic about that.

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I think some people are just quick to judge a book by its cover.

Based on the picture alone, I immediately dug something about Forton.

Hahaha! :D

Look who's talking.

"Some people" can't even understand when they're making fun of themselves.

That being said, as I mentioned in my answer to the user who asked me, no... unlike you, I wasn't judging solely by the picture.

Anyway... I have my own criteria, you have yours.

You can't account for taste, so sure as Hell you shouldn't be judgemental of other people's preferences. =____=

Hahaha yourself!

I was fully aware of what I was saying. I haven't made a final judgment about Forton. I simply mentioned that there's something about his picture that I like. Please stop overreacting.

Sheesh, you didn't grasp absolutely anything from what I said, did you?

Guess what? Like you, I haven't made a final judgement either. I dare say that none of us have, since we know so little about the game, so far. OBVIOUSLY.................. =______________=

And like you, I did come here to give my impressions and first considerations. If we all had to watch our mouth for fear of being contradicted by further developments, this thread and a hundred like it would have no mean to exist. Thankfully, not all the forum users are like you, and forum rules allow people to STATE THEIR OWN PREFERENCES freely without being attacked.

It is not acceptable that you consider it normal to state your fleeting impression without being judged or attacked because of it, WHILE AT THE SAME TIME judging and attacking someone else for doing the same.

If you don't understand that, there is no hope for you.

However, unlike you, I considered more than just a picture. So I was making a slightly less superficial evaluation than the one you made, right when you accused me of making a superficial evaluation. That's called IRONY, by the way. And given your less than polite behaviour, that made me laugh. You deserved it. :D

Sadly, I see that you haven't been humbled by the realization of your mistake, and that you think you can talk your way out of this, while CONTINUING with the aggressive behaviour... so now, I am less amused and more annoyed by your unrulyness.

Please stop being a snotty, pretentious, aggressive child.

No, doing whatever the h*** you want and then accusing people of being too sensitive doesn't work, either.

Everybody can see what you're doing. You can't weasel your way out with words. :)

Edited by Raistlin82

Hey there Raistlin82. I sure hope that your post is a joke. I have no idea what you're on about, but when I suggested that you stop overreacting, you kind of went the opposite direction that I was hoping.

I never attacked you. And if this is the way you're going to conduct yourself, I will be ignoring you entirely henceforth.

Take care, and have a nice day.

You guys arguing are funny.

I plan on having a female druid as my main, race yet to be decided. I'll also have a pale elf male priest and a male amaua monk. I'll also definitely be taking that godlike paladin companion.

It's my birthday on Tuesday and this is a great birthday present. I could not be much more excited.

• Like 1

I'm very intrigued by the Cipher class, and I always like being a Druid. In BG1 & 2 I almost religiously end up playing a ranger or a rogue, and in NWN/2 I have a tendency to play sorcerers or rangers, so I think I'll try and avoid the rangers for this one. I probably won't do more then two or three play-throughs, so I'll like make a character of each race/class and play the intro through multiple times and stick with whichever character-class feels the most comfortable. I imagine I'll either be an elf, godlike or orlan though. 

Druid is another class that I haven't really considered for PoE, but I have always enjoyed playing. I haven't seen anything yet as to whether they will have an animal companion. A druid without an animal companion is like a day at the beach without sunshine. I'm hopeful that this will be included.

And by animal companion, I'm not talking about a creature that gets summoned from a single combat and disappears. I'm talking about a persistent animal friend, that we can name and that gains power as we level. If we could customize it a bit with some magical gear, that would be even better, but it shouldn't count against our 6 party slots.

I guess we'll find this out tomorrow.

I'm considering going against type from what I usually play, and try out the monk.

We'll start the demo with starting equipment, and of all the character types, the monk is least reliant on gear.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Druid is another class that I haven't really considered for PoE, but I have always enjoyed playing. I haven't seen anything yet as to whether they will have an animal companion. A druid without an animal companion is like a day at the beach without sunshine. I'm hopeful that this will be included.

And by animal companion, I'm not talking about a creature that gets summoned from a single combat and disappears. I'm talking about a persistent animal friend, that we can name and that gains power as we level. If we could customize it a bit with some magical gear, that would be even better, but it shouldn't count against our 6 party slots.

I guess we'll find this out tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure only the rangers get an animal companion (Druid's thing is the spiritshift) - let us know though after you try the beta.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I'm pretty sure only the rangers get an animal companion (Druid's thing is the spiritshift) - let us know though after you try the beta.

I'm sure that I will need to get used to a lot of things being different. Druid's have always been shapeshifters, but have also always had the most powerful animal companions. Rangers traditionally have animal companions also, but typically they get them at higher levels than druids do, and they are less powerful.

Guess I need to go into this with an open mind.

I tend to go for the melee classes most of the time, not sure at this moment. I tried to stay way of almost any specific information as possible. I like to play things for the first time without any previews knowledge, that way I make no assumptions or have expectations. 

Edited by Mihura

(semi-spoilerish)

I notice from the gameplay videos that you start with a party of 5, but the max party can have 6. So I guess the second question is what class do you plan to create at the adventurers hall to fill that final slot.

I'm thinking about starting with a chanter and creating a paladin. That way I'll have at least a couple of front liners in the party.

Edited by Marceror

I'm sure that I will need to get used to a lot of things being different. Druid's have always been shapeshifters, but have also always had the most powerful animal companions. Rangers traditionally have animal companions also, but typically they get them at higher levels than druids do, and they are less powerful.

Guess I need to go into this with an open mind.

In BG, only the mages/sorcerers had a familiar (after using Find-Familiar spell) - other classes could summon animals but not permanent companions (without mods).

In NWN2 rangers and druids got the animal companions (which I did enjoy)

So maybe that's an AD&D v. 3rd ed.  thing?

I don't mind them being more exclusive to one class since it gives the class something unique for different playthroughs.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

The animal companions were more of a 3rd edition thing, yes. I don't think the IE games really captured this, but I've played plenty of PnP, NWN 1 and 2, ToEE, etc. So I'm definitely used to my druids having their animal companions.