What Class do you plan to play first?

I really don't like Forton and the orlan cipher, from what I've seen so far.

Wait, what do we know about them other than pieces of concept art?

Nothing. I think some people are just quick to judge a book by its cover.

Based on the picture alone, I immediately dug something about Forton. He looked like a tortured soul to me, and this was long before I knew about monks and their wound mechanic.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Wait, what do we know about them other than pieces of concept art?

Nothing else.

That's why I said "from what I've seen so far". ;)

PS: also, in my language, Forton means something like... Strongon (or Strong one, or Big Strong). Considering he's a monk, that's like a Masters of the Universe villain name...

Edited by Raistlin82

If you're having trouble deciding:

Random Dice Generator

(Number of sides: 11, Number of dice: 1, Number of rolls: 1)

01. Barbarian

02. Chanter

03. Cipher

04. Druid

05. Fighter

06. Monk

07. Paladin

08. Priest

09. Ranger

10. Rogue

11. Wizard

(Number of sides: 6, Number of dice: 1, Number of rolls: 1)

01. Aumaua

02. Dwarf

03. Elf

04. Godlike

05. Human

06. Orlan

(If you get Godlike, reroll race for birth-parent race)

Edited by Tartantyco
  • Like 2

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Especially not a punch from an Aumaua, aka a "Hawaiian Punch." :)

If someone wears spiked knuckles, are they spiking the punch?

Okay, but seriously... Yeah, Paladins aren't quite the frontline powerhouses, but, hopefully, with a little extra effort and support, you can still opt to have them be much more frontline than just "stand around in the safety zone, bestowing auras."

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I really like Edér, Pallegina, Sagani, Aloth and Cadegund.

I really like both the mechanics and concept of the monk and cipher classes, though.

So... I guess I'm going to make a monk (Aumaua) protagonist and a cipher (Godlike) ally... then I'll just go around trying out the rest of the companions.

Before you pass judgment, have you seen the community enhancements to Forton in this thread

Just saying, keep an open mind.  :biggrin:

Never drink wine and post.  I'll show myself out now.

• Like 1

Especially not a punch from an Aumaua, aka a "Hawaiian Punch." :)

If someone wears spiked knuckles, are they spiking the punch?

Okay, but seriously... Yeah, Paladins aren't quite the frontline powerhouses, but, hopefully, with a little extra effort and support, you can still opt to have them be much more frontline than just "stand around in the safety zone, bestowing auras."

Oh I'll find a way to make a paladin a "frontline powerhouse" even if I have to break the game in the process.

• Like 1

Well, I just mean, I know he's always going to be outdone by a fighter. He's never going to be the one Frontliner to Rule Them All.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Most likely a Rogue, it usually is the class i Play in RPGs. Not because I like them the most but in almost all RPGs they are the only class that have Persuasion (or similar skills) and Lock Picking. I simply can't play my first playthrough without those two skills :)

"How was I supposed to know it was that stone that held the dragons at bay... I mean it just stood there looking dull anyway"

Most likely a Rogue, it usually is the class i Play in RPGs. Not because I like them the most but in almost all RPGs they are the only class that have Persuasion (or similar skills) and Lock Picking. I simply can't play my first playthrough without those two skills :)

In PoE, every class can do those things.

In PoE, every class can do those things.

That's nice to hear, haven't really read anything about the game as I want as much as possible to be a suprise when I go through the game when I get my hands on the full version :)

"How was I supposed to know it was that stone that held the dragons at bay... I mean it just stood there looking dull anyway"

Druid (Human or Orlan) - then will likely pick up Eder, Sagani, Orlan-Cipher-dude, Cadegund, and whichever other companion seems like a good idea at the time.  Will need another melee so Pallegina or Forton?

2nd playthrough will depend on first - will probably take remaining unused companions and choose a complementing PC of either Orlan (if not in first playthrough) or Aumaua race.

3rd - etc but with more adventurer's hall companions.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I suppose this question can relate to the upcoming beta (err, demo)

Fixed. This is not a demo, it is a beta. Well, a beta demo.

This is sort of awesome. You came in to disagree with me, and say that you "fixed" my comment. And then conceded that what we're getting is a beta demo (which means a demo that happens to occur during the beta period). So even you admit that it's a demo, yet you crossed out the word. That's rather inconsistent of you.

[off topic]

At any rate, yes, I'm disappointed by the demo/beta/whatever you want to call it. Why? Because it's not in my opinion something that will represent the best interests of the game. We're going to get this small sliver of the game, which feels like its about the size of a demo. What value are we going to provide to the developers here? As far as I can tell, it's going to be feedback on the classes/races and 4 non-essential quests. Okay, so getting the classes/races right is important. I get that, and appreciate that the backers will have the chance to help with that. That's going to make the game better, I'm sure.

It's the rest of that missed opportunity that I'm disappointed by. There's SO MUCH MORE that we could be helping with. But apparently some vocal forumers and/or Obsidian have opted to look at this "beta" through the lens of "oh noes... we might spoil people." I look at it from the lens of, let me play as much as possible, so I can rip it apart and provide feedback, identify bugs, and help shape the many, many, many game decisions that aren't related to classes/races. So that when the rest of the world gets the game, it will be a far, far, far better game. And incidentally, OE will make a good deal more money from it, I would expect.

Yes, there's a bit of sacrifice on my part, on everyone's part, in doing that, but it's one I am personally happy to make. That's why I backed the game, rather than just waiting to buy it after release and I've read half a dozen reviews. I'm willing to forego some of my enjoyment of the final game in order to achieve a better overall result, for the greater good.

But apparently I'm largely alone in this view, so instead I will studiously focus only on classes/races when the time comes.

[/off topic]

I think some people are just quick to judge a book by its cover.

Based on the picture alone, I immediately dug something about Forton.

Hahaha! :D

Look who's talking.

"Some people" can't even understand when they're making fun of themselves.

That being said, as I mentioned in my answer to the user who asked me, no... unlike you, I wasn't judging solely by the picture.

Anyway... I have my own criteria, you have yours.

You can't account for taste, so sure as Hell you shouldn't be judgemental of other people's preferences. =____=

I think some people are just quick to judge a book by its cover.

Based on the picture alone, I immediately dug something about Forton.

Hahaha! :D

Look who's talking.

"Some people" can't even understand when they're making fun of themselves.

That being said, as I mentioned in my answer to the user who asked me, no... unlike you, I wasn't judging solely by the picture.

Anyway... I have my own criteria, you have yours.

You can't account for taste, so sure as Hell you shouldn't be judgemental of other people's preferences. =____=

Hahaha yourself!

I was fully aware of what I was saying. I haven't made a final judgment about Forton. I simply mentioned that there's something about his picture that I like. Please stop overreacting.

I suppose this question can relate to the upcoming beta (err, demo)

Fixed. This is not a demo, it is a beta. Well, a beta demo.

This is sort of awesome. You came in to disagree with me, and say that you "fixed" my comment. And then conceded that what we're getting is a beta demo (which means a demo that happens to occur during the beta period). So even you admit that it's a demo, yet you crossed out the word. That's rather inconsistent of you.

I didn't come in here looking for a fight Marceror. I just wanted to inform~

It's a symptom of "Early Access" = "A released product is a full product". A normal demo (demonstration) is a snippet of a fully complete and released game. A beta demo is not a complete game.

- "Demo" gives others the idea that the "Beta" is a respresentation of the final product.

- "Beta" is a "work in progress"-stage of the final product.

- A beta demo then becomes a representation of a work in progress product.

• Like 1