What Class do you plan to play first?

I suppose this question can relate to the upcoming beta (err, demo), but I'm probably more asking about final release. It's sort of hard for me to answer at this point, because I want a balanced party, and I'm not totally sure what companions will be available.

As I recall, we have Cadegund who is a priest, so I likely won't start with this. Eldoth is a wizard, so this probably won't be my first class. Forton is a monk, so probably not this. I think Edair (did his name get changed?) is a fighter. Sagani is a ranger. I recall Adam mentioning an Orlan Cypher. I'm not sure if the final two companions have been discussed, but I don't see a rogue listed yet.

So I think I'm leaning toward a Rogue or a Chanter. I'm assuming that one of the companions will be a rogue. It seems like all cRPGs have a rogue companion available. So that leaves the Chanter, mainly because I want to see what this class is all about.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Companion roster:

Eder - Human rogue

Pallegina - Nature Godlike paladin

Orlan Detective - Hearth Orlan cipher

Cadegund - Human Priestess of Magran

Aloth - Elven Wizard

Sagani - Dwarven ranger

Forton - Monk

Josh has alluded that there will be 8 companions. But so far I believe we have only confirmation on Eder and Pallegina as actual companions. There was also an Aloth sighting as well and a reference to "The Devil of Caroc."

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

We already have this thread and it has a poll included. Use the search function before making a topic.

I was expecting a reply like this. Its inevitable that threads like this will repeat, as they always do. My time is extremely limited, so if I don't see a similar topic in the first couple of  pages, I figure it's fair game. Mods are welcome to close, merge or whatever if they feel it's warranted. That's why game forums have moderators in the first place.

On topic, yes, Aloth. Where did I get Eldoth? Silly me!

And I guess Edair has since been renamed Eder? I really thought he was a fighter for some reason, but I'm happy to be corrected. Thanks.

• Like 1

We already have this thread and it has a poll included. Use the search function before making a topic.

I was expecting a reply like this. Its inevitable that threads like this will repeat, as they always do. My time is extremely limited, so if I don't see a similar topic in the first couple of pages, I figure it's fair game. Mods are welcome to close, merge or whatever if they feel it's warranted. That's why game forums have moderators in the first place.

And I guess Edair has since been renamed Eder? I really thought he was a fighter for some reason, but I'm happy to be corrected. Thanks.

To be fair, that thread was a "race" thread and not for class.

When Eder was Edair, he was a fighter. Wasn't Eldoth Kron, a bard NPC from BG?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

For what it's worth, a search of the word "class" on the Obsidian forums offers 39 results, none of which being the thread that you make reference to. Just FYI.

I was expecting a reply like this. Its inevitable that threads like this will repeat, as they always do. My time is extremely limited, so if I don't see a similar topic in the first couple of pages, I figure it's fair game. Mods are welcome to close, merge or whatever if they feel it's warranted. That's why game forums have moderators in the first place.

To be fair, that thread was a "race" thread and not for class.

When Eder was Edair, he was a fighter. Wasn't Eldoth Kron, a bard NPC from BG?

Hey LeFerd, thanks for confirming. I had noticed the race thread too.

Yes, Eldoth was in BG1. My failing memory must have morphed him and Aloth! Though I managed to keep Edair straight, even though he isn't Edair anymore! I can't win! :p

You know, I find myself thinking about playing a monk an awful lot... Might not be a bad place to start. Cipher sounds really interesting too, though. I guess I'll just have to see, but as the beta approaches the choice is becoming easier.

• Like 1

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

Hands down the Monk...followed very closely by the Cipher. I really like the theme of these 2 classes as they are extremely unique twists on the orthodox classes. I'm probably going to be playing these 2 classes the most as I want to give as much feedback about them to Obsidian. Their whole theme and playstyle seems the most fun and unique to me so I want to make sure they get them right!

Edited by TrueMenace

Calibrating...

ALL of them. When the game releases, there will be food stockpiles by the computer, bottled water, and astronaut undies. It's going to be one big orgy of character building and simultaneous playthroughs. I shall wallow in my own filth and play PoE until my eyes bleed. I foresee divorce on the horizon...

• Like 3

ALL of them. When the game releases, there will be food stockpiles by the computer, bottled water, and astronaut undies. It's going to be one big orgy of character building and simultaneous playthroughs. I shall wallow in my own filth and play PoE until my eyes bleed. I foresee divorce on the horizon...

I have toyed with the idea of quitting my job, and sending my wife and kids away for a while. But even still, I will have to pick that "first class". If you truly plan to play all THIRTEEN classes simultaneously somehow my hat's off to you. You truly win the unhealthy gamer award in my book! :p

I have toyed with the idea of quitting my job, and sending my wife and kids away for a while. But even still, I will have to pick that "first class". If you truly plan to play all THIRTEEN classes simultaneously somehow my hat's off to you. You truly win the unhealthy gamer award in my book! :p

Not your day.

*In best Captain Picard impersonation*

THERE ARE ELEVEN CLASSES!

• Like 1

I am set on the party (Paladin. Druid. Cipher. Chanter. Priest. Wizard), not so much the main.

The player character will fill in whatever slot can't be filled by a (likable) companions: Looks like Druid based on current companion roster.

Are antelope companions confirmed in? I assume they are, since how are we supposed to play this game without antelope companions!

ANTELOPE!!!!!!

Oh, wait, I was thinking of cantaloupe. Will there be cantaloupe companions?

• Like 1

I'm gonna play a Chanter named Sandal.

"CHANTMENT!" 8)

Not really. I'm'a be a Weezard. STEP ASIDE, ALOTH, and taketh notes!

Notes... I should've used that line with a Chanter companion. Pun opportunity, MISSED!

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I really like Edér, Pallegina, Sagani, Aloth and Cadegund.
I really don't like Forton and the orlan cipher, from what I've seen so far.

I really like both the mechanics and concept of the monk and cipher classes, though.

So... I guess I'm going to make a monk (Aumaua) protagonist and a cipher (Godlike) ally... then I'll just go around trying out the rest of the companions.

I play a nasty racist human assasin (rogue) and roleplay it so that every npc is a promancer in my imagination and kill him/ her on sight...

After that good killing spree i will just relax with a human rogue and roleplay him as a relaxed adventurer who has freed himself from the pain these romance threads did to him...