The final marketing drive - looking for a mainstream audience? Target the MOBA crowd

I will just throw it out there one more time in a vain hope of getting through.

I am about as "hard core" an RPG fan as you can get.  I like console RPG's like Final Fantasy, I like dungeon crawlers like Legend of Grimrock, I played and own all the Infinity Engine games, I am a huge fan of Mass Effect, I nerd out and actually take vacation time from work when new Elder Scrolls games release, I was enjoying Larian games before it was cool to do so, I have complete let's plays posted of the Souls games From Software makes / even host PVP tournaments in one of them, I will even play Diablo 3 here and there, and I will be buying Dragon Age Inquisition and Witcher 3 on day one.  Hell I even love MMO's and play all of them that come out and are even worth talking about, after all we used to call them MMORPG's.

Moba's?

You would have to pay me money to make me play one of those crap ass games, and please bear in mind that comes from someone who has in fact played them.  They are so totally departed from an RPG it isn't even funny.  There is no story, there is no lore, there is no over arching reason I play character Y instead of character X.  The tactics are all about order of ability choices, item buys, micro managing, and twitch gameplay.  Those are only tactics in the minds of Moba players and "BRTS" (Blizzard Real Time Strategy) players cause god knows most of them wouldn't touch Sim City or Civilization with a 50 foot pole.

Dota has more in common with Call of Duty than it does Pillars of Eternity.  The end.

We have another expert here ladies and gentleman. He played mobas once so now he know everything there is to know about them. The most popular LoL streamer and once professional player is a huge fan of the CIv games, in fact he plays them on his stream on the near highest difficulty. Most top tier players have a history with Star Craft and Warcraft games before they played LoL. I am a huge Civ, PoE, ME, DA fan too, and I like to play Mobas too (not to mention that my experience in the latter far outstrips yours), so what now?

It's incredible that you can spout so much ignorance without even flinching and worst of all you state your opinions as facts.

As for will moba players like PoE or not, well there are over 30 million LoL players, so I bet a percentage of them will like and play the game.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

We have another expert here ladies and gentleman. He played mobas once so now he know everything there is to know about them. The most popular LoL streamer and once professional player is a huge fan of the CIv games, in fact he plays them on his stream on the near highest difficulty. Most top tier players have a history with Star Craft and Warcraft games before they played LoL. I am a huge Civ, PoE, ME, DA fan too, and I like to play Mobas too (not to mention that my experience in the latter far outstrips yours), so what now?

It's incredible that you can spout so much ignorance without even flinching and worst of all you state your opinions as facts.

As for will moba players like PoE or not, well there are over 30 million LoL players, so I bet a percentage of them will like and play the game.

First of all, you don't know what his experience level is or if your's outstrips it. Second, he stated his beliefs as you have, you need to stop taking them as personally directed epithets. Third, you seem much more concerned at this point cheerleading MOBAs(and your man hours invested) than speaking about the most readily available pool of bodies for PoE.

Edited by Panteleimon
  • Like 3

First of all, you don't know what his experience level is or if your's outstrips it. Second, he stated his beliefs as you have, you need to stop taking them as personally directed epithets. Third, you seem much more concerned at this point cheerleading MOBAs(and your man hours invested) than speaking about the most readily available pool of bodies for PoE.

I know what his experience level is because those are the comments of a novice moba player. He stated his beliefs as facts. Because people here are spreading misinformation that leads to wrong conclusions in regards to the original topic.

Anything more oh white knight of mine?

I know what his experience level is because those are the comments of a novice moba player. He stated his beliefs as facts. Because people here are spreading misinformation that leads to wrong conclusions in regards to the original topic.

Anything more oh white knight of mine?

Now you're throwing out assumptions with no basis other than the ~feeling~ you got off a post, because of course there's just no way that someone who's good at MOBAs will think they're twitchy and relatively mindless, right? He stated his beliefs as things he THINKS, unless you're supposed to preface every stated opinion with "I THINK"(which I don't see you doing) .

Some people here are stating their opinion that MOBAs aren't fertile ground for PoE because "X". You, on the other hand, are busy taking those beliefs as personal attacks and "white knighting" MOBAs and their players, rather than discussing their inclination to play PoE. And being rude to boot.

Edited by Panteleimon
  • Like 2

You would have to pay me money to make me play one of those crap ass games, and please bear in mind that comes from someone who has in fact played them.  They are so totally departed from an RPG it isn't even funny.  There is no story, there is no lore, there is no over arching reason I play character Y instead of character X.  The tactics are all about order of ability choices, item buys, micro managing, and twitch gameplay.  Those are only tactics in the minds of Moba players and "BRTS" (Blizzard Real Time Strategy) players cause god knows most of them wouldn't touch Sim City or Civilization with a 50 foot pole.

Dota has more in common with Call of Duty than it does Pillars of Eternity.  The end.

Your viewpoint is pretty shallow honestly. Theres definitely a huge difference between heroes and how you play the game. For example in Dota your play style changes complitely between heroes like Slark, Natures Prophet, Omniknight, Riki, Anti-Mage, Chaos Knight. I know its probably useless to just name drop heroes if you are not familiar but there's definitely similarities between "proper" RPG's and Mobas. You play a role in the party.

You say "Twitch gameplay" well, someone else could say:

A whole lot of different things matter in a session of dota. Warding, Map awareness, Knowing when to defend towers, when to push towers, contesting Roshan or not. Trying to end the game in the first 15-20 minutes or relaying on your late game and going for 50 min and so on.

Comparing Dota to modern CoD games is just pure nonsense.

Some people here are stating their opinion that MOBAs aren't fertile ground for PoE because "X". You, on the other hand, are busy taking those beliefs as personal attacks and "white knighting" MOBAs and their players, rather than discussing their inclination to play PoE. And being rude to boot.

Don't take offense Panteleimon, he is obviously a die hard Moba player.  That is how all die hard Moba players act when you say anything bad about Mobas, trust me when I say this as I have plenty of experience with it.  He doesn't mean anything personal he literally just cant conceive the concept that some people think Moba's suck and their reasons for thinking it are legitimate.

Comparing Dota to modern CoD games is just pure nonsense.

No, I wasn't comparing them.  I said they have more in common than Dota does with Pillar's of Eternity, and they do.  I am also fully well aware how different characters play differently.

Edited by Karkarov

That's true for like, any number of people that is big enough.

"There are more than 80 million people in germany, so I bet a percantage of them will like and play the game."

Nevertheless that is not a reason to have a special marketing campaign in germany.

There is plenty of lore in dota 2 go read the back stories of the heros some of the are good

Just because there is some lore doesn't make it good or relevant. I also don't think the lore in Dota2 is consistent in any way. I don't claim to be an expert but from the few heroes I read the lore, the stories are completely independent. So yeah, every hero has some kind of a one page background that probably doesn't interact with any other heros background. Fantastic Lore.

Even better is the hero 'Lina' which is a ripoff of the actual character lina in the manga slayers. They share appearance, spells and name. That's some high quality lore there.

Edited by Doppelschwert

Karkarov: What do you mean by: "there is no over arching reason I play character Y instead of character X."

I mean I play a character because I like their moveset and play style, not due to RP, not due to some plot reason, not because I like their personality, I don't even get to make my own character.  There is no "story" in Moba's.  Even the most base bare bones RPG has some sort of reason for why you are the character you are and why you are doing what you are doing. 

I mean I play a character because I like their moveset and play style, not due to RP, not due to some plot reason, not because I like their personality, I don't even get to make my own character.  There is no "story" in Moba's.  Even the most base bare bones RPG has some sort of reason for why you are the character you are and why you are doing what you are doing. 

Both LoL and DotA have that. At least do some research before you talk out of your ass...

Both LoL and DotA have that. At least do some research before you talk out of your ass...

Did you even read what he wrote? <_< You seem to pick ONE thing out of many criticism to nitpick.

Yes. Both of those games have an excuse for why there are two sides trying to destroy big crystal thing on other side of the map. Sure, you can call that "story", just like how you can say that people play TF2 for a story about two brothers competing about a gravel mine.

...You guys what is most ridiculous thing about this thread?

MOBA = Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. How come on people saying "MOBA players would love to play PoE!" not notice something that is rather big difference between that genre and this game?...

Edited by BrokenMask
  • Like 1

How hard do you have to dig for that lore, though? You get into an arena, you get out. You don't have to know anything about the lore, about the characters to move on.

In PoE on the other hand you will not get around reading text. For some quests you will have to piece the information together, for some at least get some understanding where you have to go. Quite a lot of PoE will be text, text, text. Do MOBA players really want all this lore? After all, main advantage of MOBAs is that you can jump in for quick action at any time you want. Not so much here. 

• Like 1

How hard do you have to dig for that lore, though? You get into an arena, you get out. You don't have to know anything about the lore, about the characters to move on.

In PoE on the other hand you will not get around reading text. For some quests you will have to piece the information together, for some at least get some understanding where you have to go. Quite a lot of PoE will be text, text, text. Do MOBA players really want all this lore? After all, main advantage of MOBAs is that you can jump in for quick action at any time you want. Not so much here. 

Yes but he said that it didn't even have a bare bones lore, which as I pointed out isn't the case, as for how hard you have to dig for it, not very. The wiki has lore that is not in the client.

He is clueless to the point of negligence, where a simple google would have told him otherwise he chose to talk out of his ass. Pretty much everything he said on this topic has been like that.

" the 'newer' generation of gamer, this game is not for."

Totally disagree. Comments like this not only do a disservice to the 'modern gamer' it also does a disservice to the game. Comments like it only serve for a self pat of 'i'm so kewl i love hardcore games i'm so special and unique because i love games because most don't so i'm one ofthe in crowd and i don't want anyone else to feel special like me'.

It's garbage, it's asanine, it's illogical, it's evil, it's ignorant, and it's stupid.

Every single person who is looking forward to this game were a newbie once but somehow managed to start liking games. People need to get over themselves.

• Like 6

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's garbage, it's asanine, it's illogical, it's evil, it's ignorant, and it's stupid.

have you been raised on the Neverland ranch ? You are so evil and ignorant sniff sniff... i think being ignorant and evil feels pretty good some time. you should try out at least once. Be bad and evil and enjoy some madness !

And to be honest what you think is evil and ignorancy is for others good so dont tell people what is what. Thats called a dictate!

It´s also politically UNcorrect trying to subtle insult someone 6 times in one sentence but it´s a bit difficult to figure that one out right ?

Edited by NWN_babaYaga

I was being subtle? My bad. Besdies, I've been insulted quite a bit in this thread. Not a big deal. It's all harmless. Have some fun, drink a little juice, pump yourself up for the game, and take it seriously but don't life so seriously. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's worth point out the similarities in heritage. Bioware was originally making an RTS when it made the Infinity engine, but instead turned it to a D&D campaign by focusing on just a few characters. Mobas started by taking an RTS engine, and modding it so that it focused on few characters. Hell, D&D itself started by scaling a strategy game down to a few roles.

Also, many of the mechanics are shared between Mobas and the IE games. I don't think it's too far fetched.

Buahahaha. Lol.

What's so funny? What he said is true. And what's with the "like" from Obsidian developer Roby Atedero for this worthless, content-free post? I am disappoint.

Doh, must have accidentally hit a like button while strolling through here. Can't seem to unlike it at this point :\.

• Like 2

Twitter: @robyatadero

Yes but he said that it didn't even have a bare bones lore, which as I pointed out isn't the case, as for how hard you have to dig for it, not very. The wiki has lore that is not in the client.

He is clueless to the point of negligence, where a simple google would have told him otherwise he chose to talk out of his ass. Pretty much everything he said on this topic has been like that.

It does not matter if there is lore, if no one knows it and people have to google it to find it. It's like with Counterstrike, I played it as a child, but the story behind it was not what I played for. And if you said I could google it, I certainly wouldn't, because it does not matter there. 

• Like 1