Dragon Age: Inquisition

Blarghagh

I have to say, when it comes to pre-release information, Bio appears to have learnt a pretty big lesson from the DA2 debacle. The sheer amount of content and news is impressive, as is the website.

Put it like this - as a potential customer, I can't say I haven't seen enough of the game to make some sort of decision about it, and certainly couldn't claim I was mislead when making it. This is a first for Bio, maybe even a little humility.

I'm not a fan of theirs or their work as a whole, but it would be churlish not to give credit where it's due.

• Like 4

sonsofgygax.JPG

I have to say, when it comes to pre-release information, Bio appears to have learnt a pretty big lesson from the DA2 debacle. The sheer amount of content and news is impressive, as is the website.

Put it like this - as a potential customer, I can't say I haven't seen enough of the game to make some sort of decision about it, and certainly couldn't claim I was mislead when making it. This is a first for Bio, maybe even a little humility.

I'm not a fan of theirs or their work as a whole, but it would be churlish not to give credit where it's due.

I respect this post immensely because in the past you have been understandably dismissive of some of Bioware games. But you also can see  that Bioware is tying really hard to change that perception and DA:I will be the litmus test around if they have learnt lessons from the past

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"Put it like this - as a potential customer, I can't say I haven't seen enough of the game to make some sort of decision about it, and certainly couldn't claim I was mislead when making it. This is a first for Bio, maybe even a little humility."

BIO has never mislead anything. And, they haven't learned any 'humility' which is such a dumb thing to do anyways. Perhaps, YOU should learn some humility.

"The sheer amount of content and news is impressive, as is the website."

This isn't new. If anything, they spoil way too much as per usual.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

But you also can see  that Bioware is tying really hard to change that perception and DA:I will be the litmus test around if they have learnt lessons from the past

We'll see how many lessons they've learned if any. I want to be optimistic too but... with keyboard/mouse controls being a last minute addition, for example, it's pretty obvious they still think that PC gamers are 2-nd class.

I respect this post immensely because in the past you have been understandably dismissive of some of Bioware games. But you also can see  that Bioware is tying really hard to change that perception and DA:I will be the litmus test around if they have learnt lessons from the past

So, no more dry humping?

Edited by HoonDing

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

But you also can see  that Bioware is tying really hard to change that perception and DA:I will be the litmus test around if they have learnt lessons from the past

We'll see how many lessons they've learned if any. I want to be optimistic too but... with keyboard/mouse controls being a last minute addition, for example, it's pretty obvious they still think that PC gamers are 2-nd class.

Without seeming like I'm defending that late decision from Bioware I am a PC gamer only but I have used a Controller successfully  on several PC ports like Darksiders and Sleeping Dogs. My gaming experience was fine

So my point is "do we really need  a M\KB to offer an entertaining RPG experience in a game like DA:I" ?

I agree on certain games that the M\KB is the better option but can we see a future where we can play an immersive RPG with a Controller ?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Last minute addition, my ass.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Mapping controls are not a "last minute addition". It's not like they can just press F2 and every action is perfectly synced to every button. 

Think about how many functions are required in a game. Think of how many rely on taps, on twitches, on holding the button down while you press another one. One what pressing space once means as oppose to pressing it twice. 

It's quite sensible for mapping keyboard controls to be done towards the end. There are far more key combinations available than controller buttons, so of course you'd map controller functions first, they're less flexible and if you run out without realising then you have... problems. Only then do you map the more flexible ones. It's irrelevant anyway, matters nothing whether they're added first or last, so long as they're added.

• Like 2

It's quite sensible for mapping keyboard controls to be done towards the end. There are far more key combinations available than controller buttons, so of course you'd map controller functions first, they're less flexible and if you run out without realising then you have... problems. Only then do you map the more flexible ones. It's irrelevant anyway, matters nothing whether they're added first or last, so long as they're added.

giphy.gif

Thanks you for bothering to state the IMO obvious thing that I just snarked my way past. Because, it's not like they were going to not do it and only decided to at the last minute, because they didn't have anything better to do... :p

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The problem is that if you add mouse and keyboard controls late in the project, there is a lot less testing to confirm the playability using such controls. Not just that the mapping works, but if you straight transfer a UI built for controllers it'll usually feel clunky using k/b + m.

Which is why DA2 for me was much more of a chore to play compared to the first game, the UI was simply loads worse (as well as how the camera worked).

• Like 1

UI usability is usually more about the design than the control scheme though, it will have an x,y move control when you move the mouse or stick, buttons you can click and potentially shortcuts using buttons or keys. Something like the UI in TWitcher 2 was not clunky because of its control scheme which was still point and click, it was clunky because of its UI design that used the screen inefficiently, only used part of the screen and had odd scrolling sections instead of presenting important information with immediacy. Similarly for something like Fallout 3, its UI sucked because Bethesda used the same UI template for console and PC so you ended up with something that had to work on an SDTV being put on a system capable of about 16x SD resolution, no amount of testing would change that if they had decided that that limitation was what they were doing. 

• Like 2

This is not a brand-new vid. It's from Sep 29, but as it is devs playing, and in an entirely different area - Valsammar - I reckon some of you will find it enlightening, at least I did. In it, among other things, you get pro-tips on how to use the tactical view, it's very neat. Also, they indulge you with plenty of 2H-swordplay, as well as the basics of the game and what differs from DA:O and DA2. For instance, permanent injuries have been removed, and you can cast all spells outside of aggro/combat. However, prebuffing needs to be done with some strategy in mind, else it will just quickly dwindle. I love this power system that let you open up the map the way you want. It will make for some immense replayability. Moreover, I dig how potions are few and restricting in how far you can press on. And please, take note of how hard a level 8 group of enemies is to a level 7 party.

We also get to see a baddie go beserk!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

That does look pretty good.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's almost too good to be true for a CRPG fan:

-Pick between first-person perspective or classic tactical view, and this seamlessly

-Huge open world maps

-Absourd amounts of story, dialogue and general background/atmosphere-overload

-Combat with oomph in hews, missile hits and spell effects

-A PC -adapted UI with nice quick bars and lots of stuff that's toggable

-Remappable keys

-Power points that let you open up the adventure the way you want

-Be the good guy or be at least pretty horrific, without all-in evil, join-the-games-baddies corrupted

-Befriend your party members, only hints and pointers as to approval and disapproval (no more +5, -10)

-Go ahead, do some lovey-dovey stuff in a tower in your stronghold

-Customize your character in ridiculously unique detail

-Play most stuff in RL or make it almost turn-based via tactical mode

-No real level-scaling except for plot-line (and that comes in level ranges)

-Monsters, baddies and animals (hunting for crafting) may respawn in areas when it makes sense

-Kill a dragon in an area, and people think you are a hero (it won't respawn, unlike Skyrim)

-You get a stronghold later on, which you can customize the looks of, depending on race and preferences - It's an "Eagles Nest"-castle, not a Skyrim lodge

-Revisit places from DA:O and DA2

-Via the DA Keep app - re-spec the background of your DA history the way you want to (perfect after several playthroughs)

-A wonderful war room - send NPCs on cool little missions, like in Incredible Adventures of van Helsing 2

-Pre-buff if you want to

-You can kite, you can scout, you can withdraw from combat

-Respec via some weird currency

-Customize your items, craft away

-Walk, perma-run or perma-jump, or break-neck back-flip, if you feel like it

-Like in a RTS like COH2, some enemies have abilities that you get a cue about when they kick in by watching their animations

-"Want some ARPG to go with that? Sure. Have a nice day."

It seems you can be everything but a dwarven mage! :lol:

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Guys have I not been saying since the beginning that DA:I was going to be epic, it looks like I was right :dancing:

• Like 2

John Milton 

BruceVC: I was very sceptical at the start - mostly due to DA2, but now I am excited about this. If they can pull all this stuff off, they have a blockbuster at their hands and a CRPG classic that you can get back and play over and over. :)

EDIT: To me, it looks so promising that I'll have to stomach Origin. I have even prepped my pc and downloaded the thing already, just to let my computer get acquainted with that atrocity. ;)

• Like 1

Hm, still have time to finish DA2.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

BruceVC: I was very sceptical at the start - mostly due to DA2, but now I am excited about this. If they can pull all this stuff off, they have a blockbuster at their hands and a CRPG classic that you can get back and play over and over. :)

EDIT: To me, it looks so promising that I'll have to stomach Origin. I have even prepped my pc and downloaded the thing already, just to let my computer get acquainted with that atrocity. ;)

Awesome news, I am looking forward to your first review of the game because I consider your reviews really reasonable and accurate. So if you say something is good once you've played it I know I will love it 8)

• Like 1

John Milton 

Bruce: Thank you! Bear in mind, however, that my reviews of games just before or like 2-3 hours in tend to be bloated and overly excited, since I easily get swept away by the novelty and the superficial coolness of it all. My best reviews are those I've done after like at least 6-7 hours plus, and when I've had the time to sleep on things, hehe. :grin:

• Like 1

Mapping controls are not a "last minute addition". It's not like they can just press F2 and every action is perfectly synced to every button. 

Think about how many functions are required in a game. Think of how many rely on taps, on twitches, on holding the button down while you press another one. One what pressing space once means as oppose to pressing it twice. 

It's a nice post. Well thought out and convincing. Too bad it contradicts the facts we know. :)

Edited by prodigydancer