Combat Concerns

Yeah, Brandon could have had a save ready to load with decent gear, but ... it's kind of a 6 one way / half dozen the other conundrum.

On one hand - they could have had a great party (or devhax) and done well and showed off a lot ...

On the other - they just want to get us drooling for the backer beta today ...

I'm not going to start an argument with you Gillius, I never said they didn't have moments that were tough. If you got beat a ton then you had a different experience than I did. I had very little trouble with most of the combat in BG1. I certainly died and had to reload in a few spots, but I figured it out very quickly, oh and by the way, my heavy armored mele characters did not get one shot. 

Dont remember IE games being that challenging? bounty hunter at candlekeep inn could easily one shot you with magic missiles in BG1

His name was Tarnesh (Tarnish?).. And the words "Hi Friend.." are burned into my skull.. :lol:

P.s. Challenge is good..  I'm sure they will work out the quirks.

EDIT:

And also it was the Friendly Arm Inn.. Common guys.. pretend you played the IE games at least.. lol!

Edited by Immortalis

From George Ziets @ http://new.spring.me/#!/user/GZiets/timeline/responses

Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat. While this does put more emphasis on solving quests, the lack of rewards for killing creatures makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game) as much as I can.

Games from 15+ years ago were quite about more challenging then most games today.

Go spin up Baldur's Gate - you can get it on steam.  Nothing like a flash back to the late 1990s.  (Man I feel old now)

I watched the 20 mins from gamescon too - watch day 2 if you want to see them get to ogre.

(which, IMO, is what should happen, even on easy)

Your opinion is wrong. If I'm playing on Easy, I am saying "please don't waste my time with a bunch of stupid trivial filler. Let me blow through that stuff."  If you're looking to get challenged by every single fight, having to use the utmost of your ability every time, you're looking to play a game on Hard, or maybe an even higher difficulty.

Don't make Easy into Hard because of guys like this. Let Easy be easy, and let Hard be hard.

• Like 3

Go spin up Baldur's Gate - you can get it on steam.  Nothing like a flash back to the late 1990s.  (Man I feel old now)

Baldur's Gate was easy. If I can play through it on Normal without thinking it's too hard, then it's easy. As evidenced by me thinking Dragon Age: Origins on Normal is an appropriate challenge for fun.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

Fighters currently aren't even the best tanks. Monks tank like... uh, tanks, and it's possible to make a pretty tanky barbarian as well -- pump Might, wear heavy armor and use a shield, and pick the talent that lets you engage an extra enemy. The 1:8 Stamina/Health damage ratio gives him much more staying power over multiple battles, and Carnage raises damage output when engaging multiple enemies.

I haven't tried a paladin yet so can't speak for that. Theoretically it ought to work; pallys have nice AOE buffs which also apply to them, so a similarly tanked-up pally ought to survive OK in the front line. Don't know if the benefits of the buffs match the barb's Carnage or the monk's Wound-powered special attacks.

Main problem with all of this right now is that melee in the beta is borked because of, I'm fairly sure, two bugs (one I've dubbed 'clusterhug' which is probably pathfinding-related; it makes toons stand around without responding to attack commands when in a tight bunch, e.g. three or more engaging the same enemy, and autoattack, which makes them stand around doing nothing even when not affected by the clusterhug bug). Melee will feel completely different when those are sorted out.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I'm curious myself if fighters r the only tanks in the game? I mean surely if you play your cards right you could easily make a tanky paladin right?

Fighters get a deflection bonus and some abilities that help with tanking. None are necessary. 

The buffs from: armor, your weapon, party member buffs, potions, scrolls, food, your CON, all play a bigger part. Also Pally's have some "tanky" abilities themselves. 

Edited by Bazy

As evidenced by me thinking Dragon Age: Origins on Normal is an appropriate challenge for fun.

Meh, not the best example. Horrid class balance means combat difficulty on Normal is swingy as hell, depending on your party composition more than on your player skill.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I am pretty disappointed about the combat system. Is hard to say this but probably I change everything...

The NPC die system is pretty confusing and the character animations are very flat.

Everything needs a lot work.

Edited by Kharador

As evidenced by me thinking Dragon Age: Origins on Normal is an appropriate challenge for fun.

Meh, not the best example. Horrid class balance means combat difficulty on Normal is swingy as hell, depending on your party composition more than on your player skill.

Using only one mage in the party.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out