Beta Release Time

wolfdyne

Just out of curiosity, when will I be able to get my hands on this? Is the beta going to be accessible at 12 am of August 18th on the minute or....?

I wouldn't expect to see it be available until around 9am PDT/PST on the 18th at the absolute earliest.  I don't see Sawyer coming into the office at midnight to flip a switch on an upload or start mailing keys.

If they send the keys BEFORE the 18th then maybe, MAYBE, steam will activate them at 12am on the 18th.  Plenty of times steam makes you wait to 12 noon EST though, sometimes later.

• Like 4

Stupid Pacific Time Steam activation... When I got Fallout New Vegas at midnight, my time, I had to wait 2 hours just to actually play it. 8P

Not really a big deal. It just irks me. Heaven forbid someone play the game an hour before someone else, because of friggin' time zones.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Been a "steamer" for many years and seems like some releases comes at midnight (they probably chose to have midnight release for some games like physical stores), but usually releases comes a special time of day - around 19:00 in Norway (CEST). So it's hard to tell when the release is going to be, don't think they've said anything about it yet. 

I'm pretty new to beta's and the like, I was just wondering if there'd been any word on if the saves would be compatible with the full game or not? I know it might be to soon to know, but I won't get the beta key if that's the case, and will just happily wait till release date to finally play. (I dislike knowing what's going to happen before hand :p)

I'm pretty new to beta's and the like, I was just wondering if there'd been any word on if the saves would be compatible with the full game or not? I know it might be to soon to know, but I won't get the beta key if that's the case, and will just happily wait till release date to finally play. (I dislike knowing what's going to happen before hand :p)

The beta saves won't be compatible, because we will be starting at level 5 I believe with side-quests that are around the early-middle of the game. This will be a real beta, with the main purpose of testing the gameplay. There should be no ''story'' either.

• Like 1

Stupid Pacific Time Steam activation... When I got Fallout New Vegas at midnight, my time, I had to wait 2 hours just to actually play it. 8P

Not really a big deal. It just irks me. Heaven forbid someone play the game an hour before someone else, because of friggin' time zones.

Hmph. I remember they were super late at updating when Honest Hearts came out and I had to wait hours and hours. :( 

• Like 1

I'll bump this thread in the hope some dev will give an estimate for the time. I'd really like to spend my evening playing the beta after coming home from work, however, I'd like to know if it is any use leaving work earlier than normally.

Because you know, with CET it is monday way earlier, so if the beta is released during the evening in PST, I don't even need to bother on monday.

Edited by Doppelschwert

With Steam, it's out when it's out. Even Obsidian can't do much about it they delay it for some reason. Usually it's around 10am PST but many games get delayed anywhere from 1-4 hours, because Steam.

I'm not complaining at all btw, just how it goes.

And provide the time in UTC.

Not to be a smart ass, but come on. The internet.

UTC = PDT+7

I am fully aware of that, but how damn hard is it to take into consideration that the internet does not solely exist within the US, and put it in UTC? It gets annoying for people to have to look up time zones when they know their UTC offset off-hand, and if the UTC had been there from the start it would have been easier for everyone. It's just easier on everyone, and it limits error potential(Messing up time zones is extremely common, by the way).

Anything else is just lazy.

• Like 1

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Guys keep in mind that we haven't got a update on how to access the beta. This means that once its release on the 18th, we still can't play without the steam key or whatever.

Its awfully close to the 18th now and it looks like we have to wait for them to update it before we can play it. 

Edited by ryukenden

Brandon Adler will be up early on Monday ;)

Bah, your Monday. Here in Singapore, we live 12 hours in the future. 

Still no jetpacks, although a guy did almost run me over down on Orchard Road in a Lamborghini today.

• Like 5

Any possibility of the devs giving us a timeframe on this?

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Any possibility of the devs giving us a timeframe on this?

Anything is possible, but not everything is likely. I think this falls into the unlikely category. They have no obligation to give us such details, so why should they feel bothered to do so, and potentially get it wrong.

That said, a little more communication from OE about such things would greatly appreciated. We easily could have gotten something from Josh last week to the effect of "Hey backers, I know you're excited to get your hands on the beta demo. We expect to have it available by 10AM Pacific on 08/18. We'll let you know if that changes."

But did we get that? Negatory. I half think that OE enjoys making us suffer a little. :p

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke