Can we have use of WASD to choose characters and other....

Hitting W places pointer over the character portraits in lower left allowing you to select the character and give him/her orders.When You release W the pointer reverts back to where it was onscreen(usually near the combat area)allowing the player to select who is the enemy that the attack is for.ASD can each have unique functionality.SHIFT-WASD if more is needed etc.Just examples are clicking S puts pointer over the middle UI,clicking D can increase the text area and clicking A can shrink back down.

This is something that might seem lazy at first but if you think about how many times in just a single combat you are moving the mouse everywhere onscreen it makes sense.Honorable mention is players with very large screens.

The IE games have customizable keys. I would imagine this feature would be in place as well. But what you're requesting sounds a bit more involving.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

This sounds unnecessarily complex -- standard UI conventions for this sort of game is for the numbers "1-N" (N=6 in this game) to select characters, and "=" to select all characters.  Function keys are mapped to actions for individual characters, corresponding to the order in which icons are shown above the character portraits. 

standard UI conventions for this sort of game is for the numbers "1-N" (N=6 in this game) to select characters, and "=" to select all characters.  Function keys are mapped to actions for individual characters, corresponding to the order in which icons are shown above the character portraits.Problems with this are.......

You want to keep your eyes on the screen and not look down at keyboard constantly though.I feel this is the reason that in videos of POE the player has the mouse pointer running all over the screen and most of my IE playthrus have been done with pointer instead of key binds.

Having to look at keyboard for every character choice and then for every character order is not good for a relaxed gameplay session.You could leave hand on keyboard and memorize where the keys are by feel but that contorts your hand quickly.Most will choose to play by running the mouse pointer all over the screen.So in order to command a character you move pointer from top right of screen down to the lower left/choose a character/chooses an order to execute and then move pointer back up to upper right of screen to select the recipient of the chosen order,back and forth 6 times.With the WASD you simply press W to remove the mouse travel.The pointer simply moves over the character portrait area to allow a quick character and order command and then simply release W and select the recipient of this order and repeat.Its very efficient and makes for a more enjoyable experience.

That said a way to make choosing 1-6 and the Fkeys feel more intuitive is to give us ability to use SHIFT/CTRL/ALT as modifier keys.So with QWEASD as the keys to individually select each toon by pressing SHIFT these same keys now function like the Fkeys.Even better would be to allow us to bind Middle mouse button as the modifier as that frees the left hand to more easily access QWEASD keys,no contorting required.

Maybe someone can think of something better.....

Edited by wolfstriked

I usually put characters in 1-6 and quick slots, skills, spells, etc. in qwerty or qwertasdfg-keys, if character isn't controller wasd(qe)-keys. Which gives me ability control most important things with my left hand moving it only little.

I don't recall using my keyboard in Baldur's Gate or the other IE games... ever.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I absolutely used it and even remapped some of the keys.

Most commonly used:

T= thieving

S= stealth

D= detect traps

C= character sheet

I= inventory

Q= quick save

M= map

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

My original idea was that you press the characters key and his orders pop up right under the mouse,click on what you like and release.

That's not a terrible idea. Just in concept, at least. I'm fond of well-done little radial menus that are mouse-cursor centric. At the very least, 1-6 (or whatever) to select each person, then another key to bring up a little radial "hotbar" of their active ability choices wouldn't be at all unwelcome.

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u