Will likely pass on this game, but am looking forward to a possible proper cRPG

I suppose a traditional cRPG in the Pathfinder world would have been too similar to PoE. I can respect that.

But I would sign up in a second for a proper cRPG in the Pathfinder setting in the future. Build it in Unity on the PoE engine. Who cares if they are similar. So were BG, BG2, IWD, IWD2 and PST. But we still loved them all.

I'd be happy as a pig in you know what if Obsidian continued to create sequels in the PoE world, AND added a series of Pathfinder cRPGs. But I'm probably hoping for too much.

I'm still doing much better than I was a couple of years ago with PoE, TToN and WL2, so I guess I won't complain too much if the Pathfinder opportunity doesn't pan out the way I would like.

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I have no doubt Obsidian plans to make a proper PnP-style Pathfinder RPG in the future. I give them incredible props for branching out and expanding their abilities with a card game, though, same as I do for a Tank MMO.

• Like 3

Look at it this way:

They are not making a Pathfinder CRPG right now, even though they would want to. That means that the people who would be working with such a game are busy doing other stuff. What stuff is that? Can only be good stuff! :)

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Look at it this way:

They are not making a Pathfinder CRPG right now, even though they would want to. That means that the people who would be working with such a game are busy doing other stuff. What stuff is that? Can only be good stuff! :)

or

1) paizo and obsidian is figuring out how to pay for a traditional crpg development. card game may, in part, be a source o' future paizo/obsidian electronic game funding.

2) success o' card game venture may very well determine scope o' future projects, so is no reason to allocate significant man-hours to hypothetical future projects at this time.

3) obsidian folks that would be needed for a potential future crpg may be looking at many sleepless nights in the next few months as obsidian tries and gets PoE released on time... and considering that PoE represents obsidian intellectual property, we suspect that feargus gots great interest in making PoE a success.

etc.

we can come up with many more "or" that don't require obsidian to be working on other more compelling projects. we see smiley, so we suspect you realize this, but we don't mind stating obvious in case some folks ain't similarly aware.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2) success o' card game venture may very well determine scope o' future projects, so is no reason to allocate significant man-hours to hypothetical future projects at this time.

I hope this is not the case, as a lot of people that woud be interested in other kinf of games with pathfinder IP are not interested at all in a card game....

Agree that this would be a poor benchmark, since it's largely two separate target audiences for each.

I read that the CEO of Paizo indicated that a cRPG would be part of the partnership. The question now is, are we going old school with this, or more in the aRPG direction?

Hope its old school, since Pathfinder would lend itself so well to that. It could be basically the IWD2 system reborn and improved.

So if it's not possible to use the D&D OGL -- which Pathfinder is based on -- in a cRPG, I wonder what form a Pathfinder cRPG would take. Hmm....

It is perfectly possible to use the OGL for Pathfinder CRPGs. Many people are confusing the OGL with the d20 license, but they are not the same. d20 license was much more restrictive than the OGL, in return allowing the companies to use the d20 logo to indicate their compatibility with D&D. The OGL does not allow for such branding, but in return allows for much greater freedom in the usage of the material.

Don't dismiss the Pathfinder ACG.  Its a one of a kind tabletop semi rpg/strategy living card game experience you might enjoy.  If it weren't for the ACG I would never have gotten more into all things Pathfinder!  Its a decent game and the style of play is directly influenced by the classes you choose.

Also its a perfect game to play solo.

I wonder what modifications they will add to the digital version... so much stuff can be done to the ACG to make it even more interesting.

I'm gonna pass on this too.

....and on the CRPG too if Sawyer is involved.

• Like 1

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.