PC death (gamescon)

If Im down to 1 HP (meaning any hit at all will kill you) and cant fight, or defend myself, and have gimped stats, Im just going to reload or camp. Who the hell is going to walk around with maimed party members? The penalties are too harsh imo and that's on Easy! Is the purpose of this mechanic to be a gold / camping supply sink?

/me raises hand

If I had a reasonable shot at reaching a safe spot, I'd certainly give it a shot. Keep moving, send a sneaky scout ahead and try to avoid combat until I can get properly rested up. Strategy mang.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Some people will reload if they don't have enough health left at the end of a combat encounter, and they know they need to get through about 8+ more. Where do we draw the line, purely because someone wouldn't put up with such a consequence?

Yeah, if 3 of your party members are maimed, and you're out of camping supplies, it's pretty reasonable to just reload. Your chances of any sort of progress are very slim.

If just one person is maimed (let's say your Wizard), and you're close to the end of something, or a safe spot, or you suspect you might find some camping supplies, you might push on and just handle your Wizard like a glass egg, ESPECIALLY if that last fight was a doozy. You'd have to weigh re-doing a whole combat encounter (and being able to come out better) versus possibly moving on and being okay. He can still probably fire off some tactically useful ranged spells here and there. You just can't really have him wade into the danger zone.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

If Im down to 1 HP (meaning any hit at all will kill you) and cant fight, or defend myself, and have gimped stats, Im just going to reload or camp.

I played through half of the Orc Fortress in Knights of the Chalice with 3 party members on 1HP. Took me about 100 reloads but I FFFFFFF DID IT.

Reason: didn't explore the part of the outer map where there's a rest spot in a house.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

Josh said in the Ogre vid that the first time your health reaches zero your character will get maimed (in some fashion), and the next time it reaches zero, you're dead with no possibility of resurrection - it doesn't exist in PoE. 

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Josh said in the Ogre vid that the first time your health reaches zero your character will get maimed (in some fashion), and the next time it reaches zero, you're dead with no possibility of resurrection - it doesn't exist in PoE. 

Yes but he was referring to a companion. These mechanics have been clear for some time regarding Companions

The question is whether this is also true for the PC character. In the first gamescon video the PC's health went to 0 and the game ended automatically. This contradicts what he said. If the mechanics were true, then the PC should have been knocked for the remainder of the fight, and received the "maimed" debuff which the chance to reach 0 health again before dying permanently. This did not happen.

Edited by Bazy

Thing is, while we know it was on "Easy" (because we saw that bit), we don't know if the other options (e.g. "Die when health reaches zero") are persistent, or were otherwise turned on/off to ensure that the demo ended relatively quickly.

I mean, seeing them fly through the level-ups, and not even bothering to re-equip Sassy(2) with "proper" gear for his level kinda gave me the impression that they weren't actually trying to get far enough to show off too much.

Edit --> Obviously, some of it was "for time", but still ... if you wanted to actually "get somewhere", they could have had a save ready to go, so the presentation would've been:

1. Fly through "New Game", show off the tavern/leveling/etc, die horribly.

2. Load pre-set savegame in the woods, murder the beetles, and finish the quest.

Edited by neo6874
  • Like 2

I feel that maimed injuries should be something permanent. Like for example, lose an eye. You could perhaps replace it through dark rituals, making it even better, or perhaps you can only gain wisdom after losing your eye or such, like Odinn.

Either I'm right or you're wrong.

I feel that maimed injuries should be something permanent. Like for example, lose an eye. You could perhaps replace it through dark rituals, making it even better, or perhaps you can only gain wisdom after losing your eye or such, like Odinn.

That's a fantastic concept, and it's great in practice in PnP games and such. But, in a cRPG? It pretty much just gets twisted into an annoyance.

I think the biggest problem is that the game isn't really designed around supporting that injury as a unique stamp on your character. So, whereas in a PnP game, it could produce all manner of splendid, meaningful consequences in various situations, in a cRPG, it just ends up being "that penalty you now have forever, until you go do this elaborate ritual to fix it... and repeat that, every single time you get maimed. OR just reload your game and skip all that."

The cons greatly outweigh the pros in a cRPG. Until someone designs one otherwise.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

"I don't think you'd want to reload. If your character is maimed, and therefore alive, you've just possibly defeated a tough encounter. You'd just need to rest...

Alternatively, you could turn on expert mode and outright die when you reach 0 health to avoid the "inconvenience" of being maimed. :)"

Or you could reload and potentially 'fix' any mistakes you may have commited during your previous try. I have no interest in 'resting' after every battle or two like shown in that video. I find that kind of game style lame. I rather tackle an entire dungeon without resting  (or max once if it's a huge dungeon). Resting every 5 minutes is lame.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"So is reloading."

No. It means the game might be challenging though I prefer not to have to reload every 5 minutes either but resting 10 times to complete one dungeon is lame.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Ill reload a battle if even one party member dies. The reason being is that you don't earn XP if you're face down on the dungeon floor and I want every party member to be at maximum potential.

Although now that I think of it, that may not be required in this wonky system. Since I wont be rewarded any XP until I complete some "objective", maybe dead party members will still earn XP because they will be back alive by the time I get rewarded. Hmm...

I know it's not always what someone means when they use the phrase "quest XP," but it's best to just stick to objective, because "quest" leads to limited thinking on the issue. Like that you'll only get XP when you "turn in" something, and not just when you achieve something.

Of course, quests didn't even used to be like that, either, I guess, so... I blame MMO's. :)