Thoughts on Gamescon Stream

I love the giant watermill. When I heard that Obsidian was making a successor to the IE games I thought, "This game really needs a giant watermill." I never mentioned it before now, but I swear it's true.

• Like 10

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I'm naming him Walter. Walter Wheel. I hope we can relocate him to our stronghold. :)

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 5

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'm naming him Walter. Walter Wheel. I hope we can relocate him to our stronghold. :)

You're going to need a *Strong Hold* to relocate THAT water wheel...

Am I doing it right?

Ha ha ha ha ha.... hah... hah..... Heh..... *burp*

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I was watching one of the Gamescom feeds and noticed a small detail and I was wondering if it is a design choice or a bug.

I'm talking about the floating text from ambient conversations that stays over the UI in many occasions.

z8OmPqpl.jpg

It's a small detail and it doesn't really bother me, but I think the UI should always be on top.

• Like 15

It's a small detail and it doesn't really bother me, but I think the UI should always be on top.

I might be totally wrong about this (in fact I might be flat out dreaming), but didn't josh say that those panels are floating and could be dragged up to the top?

in any case, the only gripe I have is the combat log window. There's something....wrong with it. It's a little to the small size, and I think I'd prefer it in the bottom middle, instead off to the right.

Edited by Stun

FL3jVCc.png

Fair enough. That watermill is just WAY too big though.

Counter point:  The Aumaua is bent over in this screen shot from running forward, as is the one normal human party member.  The only party members standing normally is an Elf, a Orlan, and a Dwarf who have all been shown the be smaller than humans.  Everyone in the village is a human so the door will clearly be scaled to human size.  In other words the scale is correct, we just have a lot of short party members.

Edited by Karkarov

Fair enough. That watermill is just WAY too big though.

Counter point:  The Aumaua is bent over in this screen shot from running forward, as is the one normal human party member.  The only party members standing normally is an Elf, a Orlan, and a Dwarf who have all been shown the be smaller than humans.  Everyone in the village is a human so the door will clearly be scaled to human size.  In other words the scale is correct, we just have a lot of short party members.

Uh... counterpoint to whom? :) I wasn't making a point, I just put up that picture so that everyone can make up their own mind. And Justinian seems to agree with you.

Good observations nonetheless. Personally I think the door's just a bit large even for an aumaua, but I don't have a problem with that. Besides, there could be other reasons for that door to be a large one. Maybe they needed to get some big machinery inside - that wheel is huge.

• Like 1

I still think there's something strange about that picture. There's some sort of funky distortion in it or something. I just watched the demo again, the door seems totally normal sized in it. Even the water wheel looks less imposing.

Overall I was seriously impressed with the Gamescom footage. Rushed to over to make my pledge right away after watching!

When he got TPW'ed by the beetles I was sold. (and laughed my ass off)

Yes there are things that will need tweaking and improvement, as is only natural for a beta. I'm really excited to see what everyone praises / criticizes when they get their hands on the backer beta.

Still not sure how I feel about the character creation & stat screen for example, but I don't think it's terrible, just needs something...

• Like 1

I've got to say that one thing I don't particularly like is the fact that crippled, injured, maimed and just plain weak characters automatically have inferior Souls, because of bodily might also representing spiritual might. Just seems a little off.

Edit: A waste of some interesting character concepts as well.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I've got to say that one thing I don't particularly like is the fact that crippled, injured, maimed and just plain weak characters automatically have inferior Souls, because of bodily might also representing spiritual might. Just seems a little off.

It's not that bodily might represents spiritual might, it's just that they are intrinsically connected. You can still emulate that kind of character pretty well with low CON and DEX. Byt yeah, you can't get over the fact that there's only so much you can do with only six attributes, no matter how you twist them around. On the other hand, with these attributes some interesting character concepts are possible that wouldn't be possible with, say, D&D.

• Like 1

You know what pisses me off most about these videos? It makes me want to play it now but I can't because a) I didn't pay to be a playtester and b) it's only on steam and why have steam when i have gog?

Damn. Now, I'm probably gonna be spoiled by those playing it. L0LZ

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You know what pisses me off most about these videos? It makes me want to play it now but I can't because a) I didn't pay to be a playtester and b) it's only on steam and why have steam when i have gog?

Damn. Now, I'm probably gonna be spoiled by those playing it. L0LZ

Technically, you did pledge for a beta access tier. But it's your prerogative whether you want to download Steam.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

It was included with what I wanted. I really didn't have an option to 'opt out' since it was a 'lower tier'. I wanted the physical collector's edition.Even if I get off my grumpy butt and posion myself with steam to play  i'd consider it playing the game as i wouldn't report anything to Obsidian. Theyw ant me to 'bugtest' they can PAY me like they do for their pay tester employees.

You paid for the privilege to do some pro bono work. Your call whether you want to report anything or not should you decide to go ahead with the beta.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

No. I paid for a collector's box set and Obsidian turned around and tried to make me their slave. Not gonna work.   I wouldn't report ANY bugs. In fact, if I found one I would just lie and say I didn't.  Or maybe I'll make up a fake bug for just giggles so people would waste time tryingt fo find it or trying to prove a bug exist. Of coruse, I ruined by sick plans stating it so publicly so eh. That ruins that idea. L0L <>

You may be fine bein a slave doing work others get paid decent wages for but I sure ain't.

I will get what i want a = a box collector's edition of PE + dwarves. Everything else is irrelevant.

It's not that bodily might represents spiritual might, it's just that they are intrinsically connected. You can still emulate that kind of character pretty well with low CON and DEX. Byt yeah, you can't get over the fact that there's only so much you can do with only six attributes, no matter how you twist them around. On the other hand, with these attributes some interesting character concepts are possible that wouldn't be possible with, say, D&D.

I can't really say what bugs me about this, it just seems a little off to insist that the only people with perfect Souls are the physically strong. It just seems to be a little too Nietzschean for my moderate tastes, but i'll leave it there.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

No. I paid for a collector's box set and Obsidian turned around and tried to make me their slave. Not gonna work.   I wouldn't report ANY bugs. In fact, if I found one I would just lie and say I didn't.  Or maybe I'll make up a fake bug for just giggles so people would waste time tryingt fo find it or trying to prove a bug exist. Of coruse, I ruined by sick plans stating it so publicly so eh. That ruins that idea. L0L <>

You may be fine bein a slave doing work others get paid decent wages for but I sure ain't.

I will get what i want a = a box collector's edition of PE + dwarves. Everything else is irrelevant.

Joking or crazy? I'm undecided.

• Like 1

Eh. Doesn't matter to me. I actually worked QA years ago right out of college. Writing bug reports doesn't bother me. The pay was so terrible that I figure I may as well do pro bono work anyway.

Pro Tip: it won't really do much good in drafting a bug report unless you can do it again in-game and then give clear, succinct steps as to how to reproduce it. Use direct and precise language. No extraneous prose.

Each company has different formatting, but general rule is thus:

Summary: Summarize the bug in a few words (one sentence)

1) Describe in ordered steps how to reproduce the bug

2) The following will occur: (describe in specific detail, what you experience)

3) Explain what should have happened instead of the bug that occurred.

• Like 3