Thoughts on Gamescon Stream

Stun is right, that is a graphical glitch or something. The party members are blurred because of movement, but the NPC standing near the door clearly demonstrates that the problem only exists on the screenshot that Justinian linked.

DExvv8j.png

Nah, the people are still too small. They may appear larger because in the screenshot the party was made up of mostly elves/orlans/dwarves which made it appear worse.

The real world has redwoods, camphors, oaks, sequoias, baobabs, and other big dang trees. I can deal with the wheel.  And Europe is full of bridges with very, very large paving stones. That thing was built to last, and probably NOT by the peasants in that village. We see the same thing with Roman aqueducts/roads.

And older buildings can often have very large doors. The front door a farmhouse I lived in in Belgium, for example, was giant. That's a mill, where workingmen will be carrying big stuff in/out all day, so it needs a big door.

All quips aside, after looking quickly through the village in the stream I don't think you could make the same complaint about any of the other doors in town. The door to the inn is low enough that the godlike paladin was scraping his head as he walked up to it. So I think talking about up-sizing all characters is a pretty silly overreaction to the size of some paving stones and a door. It's also probably impossible.

Edited by Panteleimon
  • Like 2

The gamescon footage pushed me to back this game. I've been lurking for a few months just watching this game. Looks amazing so far so I had to jump in yesterday. Didn't see an introductions thread so I'll just wave and say hello here! 

Awesome!!  Welcome to the forums!

• Like 2

Yeah you cant just resize player models and every creature of your game because... you change the whole dimension of everything....

That said, the collision areas around models seem to be pretty generous. They could probably increase the character model size by 15-20% and not impact gameplay. They are just polygons and overlapping geometry is by design. Here's hoping...

• Like 1

The gamescon footage pushed me to back this game. I've been lurking for a few months just watching this game. Looks amazing so far so I had to jump in yesterday. Didn't see an introductions thread so I'll just wave and say hello here! 

Welcome, and that's a fantastic avatar you picked for yourself! :)

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Bad puns rule!

Anyway, the Ogre seems intelligent enough and I feel that quest can play out differently, maybe like Madulf, he ends up protecting the village! He gets a daily meal of porkchops from the villagers for his services.

Edited by I Roll 20
  • Like 2

I was going to suggest that he'd attended Obsidian's Night School course in English as a secondary language but "O-gremmars" sounds about right! I suppose if they'd given him a less than solid English grammar and spelling you'd have someone complain that the writing "is poor." 

Thanks for the welcomes! Glad to be aboard!

• Like 3

Let me show you the reality of the game industry.  So that you may understand which you do not.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/31/5949433/the-cost-of-a-game-studio

Now a beta should be used to try and break the game, find bugs, and give advise on how to improve something.    There is probably a list that Obsidian has of things they wish were in the game but won't be when it's released, but might be after it is released.  Patch number....adds such and such fixes such and such.

Josh said this is a dark and gritty game so I gave some advice which they probably already know about, "the dungeons and creatures and such. "

The idea it to try and make it as detailed and realstic as possible by adding in as much detail as possible in there time frame before release.

I am not a game developer I am composer and I have no wish at this time to be part of the game industry. 

I would litterly stand in front of the Conductor, stop the Orchestra, and Scream you guys aren't playing with enough passion!   That's a slur over those phrases I want you string players to feel till it hurts!!!  But I am not in the industry right now so it's all cool.

I'll just skip your link to that Polygon article as it seems to have little to do with what I criticized,...like the rest of your post.

So my point again slightly extended:

We are just a few months away from release and you ask for lots of new details from additional environment animations, creature animations, new Dialogue/VO work to even new mechanics like "Spiders attacking by touching a web on the floor".

Thats all cool and everyone including me would surely love getting more of everyting. But money, time and manpower are all limited. Time = money and all these extras will take lots of time. Please remember that PoE has over 150 maps that would need to be touched up according to your ideas and that's not even considering the creature changes you asked for.

I can understand that you'd like the game to be super detailed and polished but that is not really giving advice.OE doesn't have Blizzard time and money and will probably be relieved if they can get the game done in time, balanced, bug free and with all the planned features included.

Tldr;  dreaming up "wouldn't it be cool" type ideas isn't helpful and it also isn't part of beta testing, it's just kinda annoying.

• Like 1

There should be a [Haughty] disposition for dialogue options that increases the size of your head when Big Head Mode is turned on. :)

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

There should be a [Haughty] disposition for dialogue options that increases the size of your head when Big Head Mode is turned on. :)

And then the NPCs would be like: "Looks like someone's been a haughty boy!"

Honestly though, I think head size should be linked to character level. That strikes me as a more level-headed approach.

• Like 2

This statement is false.

Look at the door in that picture. Look at where the door knob is. It's above the people's heads. That can't be right.

Most of the scaling actually looks pretty good to me. I took a closer look at the door. The two party members closest to the door are standing on the same level as the door. Look at the taller of the two. The door handle is right between his hand and elbow. I walked over to my own front door and can you guess where the handle is in relation to my body? Its right between my hand and elbow. How much closer could they have gotten?

• Like 2

I think the perspective(And overabundance of tiny people in the party) is messing with people's perception.

• Like 1

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Fair enough. That watermill is just WAY too big though.

How do you know? What if that's where they grind up dragons to make Dragon Flour? You don't know that watermill's life! :)

• Like 7

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u