Thoughts on Gamescon Stream

hehe...the caster animation is either a simple melee attack or mid throwing animation... looks funny for sure. But i wouldnt worry about that, i´m sure they create at least a spellcasting animation and maybe allign the spell node to the hands !

But it looks amazing... and i dont wanted to watch that stream...

Game is looking great! Love it :yes:

I like the graphics, they videos are in not such a good quality so the recorded picture can get a little blurry.

Fights are GREAT! It feels almost exactly like bg - well done guys, thanks :)

Character's movement is a little stiff, but I can get over it. The characters in the level up and char creation mode seems toi have very low texture quality, but in IGN gamesplay this isn't the case so I guess it's because this thing still remains unpolished.

But this guy seems a lot transparent, is he wearing some kind of spell?

VaDMeTJ.png

But anyway, game looks awesome and I can't wait to play it in full version!

Edited by IRMA

I like the graphics, they videos are in not such a good quality so the recorded picture can get a little blurry.

Fights are GREAT! It feels almost exactly like bg - well done guys, thanks :)

Character's movement is a little stiff, but I can get over it. The characters in the level up and char creation mode seems toi have very low texture quality, but in IGN gamesplay this isn't the case so I guess it's because this thing still remains unpolished.

VaDMeTJ.png

I noticed that too. I assumed it was a bug.

Nice gifs mwinding I have a hard time imagining that those are the final animations.

It's definitely good to point everything out, just in case, but, at the same time, I really don't think anything at this point is supposed to be "final." Not any of these little details, anyway. This is sort of the "stuff's going to need tweaking" phase. Not the "okay, everything should be good! WHAT?! FLAWS?!" phase. :) That comes later.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

You know, just from watching that stream I think some rebalancing might be in order before the beta starts. I mean, was that really on easy? That was a throwaway fight, so unless the wood beetles did just that much damage then the game is going to give me a lot of trouble.

• Like 1

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

You know, just from watching that stream I think some rebalancing might be in order before the beta starts. I mean, was that really on easy? That was a throwaway fight, so unless the wood beetles did just that much damage then the game is going to give me a lot of trouble.

Well, I also get the impression Adam doesn't really know how to play the game well. :)

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Nice gifs mwinding I have a hard time imagining that those are the final animations.

It's definitely good to point everything out, just in case, but, at the same time, I really don't think anything at this point is supposed to be "final." Not any of these little details, anyway. This is sort of the "stuff's going to need tweaking" phase. Not the "okay, everything should be good! WHAT?! FLAWS?!" phase. :) That comes later.

Yea I agree that's why I was saying I don't think it is the final version of the animations...unless that was lost in translation. :)

Just got to watch this.

Love it! :w00t:

Spells are looking a lot better since the 'gameplay teaser' trailer, especially magical-missile (or wotsitsname) and fireball.

Fights look great - note to self: Beware the beetles! - and glad that 'select-all'->'fight'->beetles isn't the go-to tactic.

Can't wait to spend an hour or 2 with that character creation :)

Agree that some of the writing on-screen (not in dialogue window) was hard to read (though I tried not to read most of it) - should stay up a little longer at least.

Overall looks exactly like I want it to :)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Serious, we really get the exact spell and effect icons from the IE games? The winged-foot Haste, Cure Light Wounds blue crosses, and all the rest. Hope so, love it!

I'm pretty sure those are just placeholder.

Yea I agree that's why I was saying I don't think it is the final version of the animations...unless that was lost in translation. :)

Sorry, no, it wasn't lost. I was sort of piggy-backing on what you said, to add to it while also agreeing with you.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

^I'm not so sure. Neverwinter Nights 2 also used several spell icons from the Icewind Dales.

There is something to be said for familiarity IMO. The setting is already new and the game mechanics will take some getting used to.

Most of us know what the "blue plus sign" does(heal) so it's one less thing to try and figure out.

Besides how many different ways can you really put haste or heal into an icon...just google haste icon and....yup most people use boots with wings or something similar.

I do understand how people may think it is out of place though since the setting is more dark/stoney. The icons are pretty bright and colorful.

Edited by GreyFox
  • Like 1

Auto attack is not enabled (if the game has it), that's why Adam lost. He had idle party members sitting there doing nothing both times. He was just doing a poor job of micro-managing his characters in it's absence.

Edited by Sensuki

Auto attack is not enabled (if the game has it), that's why Adam lost. He had idle party members sitting there doing nothing both times. He was just doing a poor job of micro-managing his characters in it's absence.

He clearly wasn't as big of a fan of the Infinity Engine games as he claims. He easily could have paused, selected all, and ordered them to attack a single target. And when you're mage is getting hammered, you always run them out of harm's way. Lots of "rookie" mistakes in that video.

In fairness, I'm sure I could never code these games as well as he does. :p

It looks so much like Baldur's Gate! At the same time the setting and combat system are quite deeply different so I'm sure it'll be a distinct, memorable experience. Anyway, this game has everything going for it as I said before. The only thing I'm actually worried about is that it's creating such incredible expectations that it might fail to meet them, but that's a rather nice problem to have. Fans of good old games tend to be uncritical of them and hypercritical of anything new and different. Baldur's Gate had plenty of flaws, some quite major.

Serious, we really get the exact spell and effect icons from the IE games? The winged-foot Haste, Cure Light Wounds blue crosses, and all the rest. Hope so, love it!

I'm pretty sure those are just placeholder.

I agree. It's such low-res art anyway, it wouldn't scale on any other UI element than these tiny spell selection buttons.

That said, the IWD2 spell icons did look great and I'd only be slightly disappointed if they were actually re-used for this game.

Edited by Zeckul

I noticed that too. I assumed it was a bug.

It is just an optical illusion.  The guys armor and clothes are just so close to the same color as the bridge and stonework they blend into them and makes it look like he is transparent when in reality he is just sort of blurring into the background.

Besides how many different ways can you really put haste or heal into an icon...just google haste icon and....yup most people use boots with wings or something similar.

"Haste: Sponsored by Nike" ... or not - familiar icons work for me, though equally I won't complain if they're new.

And when you're mage is getting hammered, you always run them out of harm's way.

yeah, but then the beetles get a disengagement attack and the mage drops anyway.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat: