Thoughts on Gamescon Stream

Also, one thing to keep in mind about difficulty is that higher difficulties don't just scale up damage and health on enemies - it changes which enemies spawn. For example, those same fights on a harder difficulty have adra beetles and more patrols. I remember playing on medium difficulty and pulling two groups at once because I wasn't careful with character placement.

I already knew this because I have followed the game like a stalker, but I like tihs, I like it a lot. 

• Like 2

I just hope that at the end of the beta there will be a good amount of talents and customization. I know that there won't be many talents during the beta because they are only designed now, but the only possible fear I have about the game is that I won't be able to differentiate my character enough from another character with the same class. Only deviating through attributes sounds a bit samey to me, and if there are only a handful of class specific talents, two characters with the same class will most likely overlap in talent choice.

Edited by Doppelschwert
  • Like 2

I just hope that at the end of the beta there will be a good amount of talents and customization. I know that there won't be many talents during the beta because they are only designed now, but the only possible fear I have about the game is that I won't be able to differentiate my character enough from another character with the same class. Only deviating through attributes sounds a bit samey to me, and if there are only a handful of class specific talents, two characters with the same class will most likely overlap in talent choice.

I too hope to see a huge list of talents/feats etc. It will really send this game through the roof for me.

I didn't watch the stream, but if Adam didn't immediately try to kill the wood beetles he was in for a beatdown. Their poison is pretty damaging, so you usually want to go after them first.

Yeah, he seemed to be focusing on the rock beetles, in those battles. He also seemed to forget some of the characters, at times. Was it the rogue that was left idling most of the time?

The rock beetles are burly, but that wood beetle poison will kill a character pretty quickly. If a few of your party members get poisoned it can be tough to recover. We may end up toning it down depending on feedback from the beta.

In IE games, poison was one status effect that, if you weren't hauling around antidotes or cure poison scrolls, could easily wipe out your party. I specifically remember a spider infested house in Beregost for example.

How many ways are there to deal with poison in PoE?

One thing about the poison in IE games, however, was that it affected you MUCH slower, something like 1 or 2 hp every round, so you could finish a fight, mess around for a bit, and eventually decide to drink a potion. Here it seems to knock you out in a matter of 3-4 rounds, you need to be right on top of it to catch it :p

"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

Anyone else think it looks weird when the wizard casts magic missile? He waves his wand and then the missiles come out of his body instead of the wand.

Hopefully this kind of thing will be tweaked.

Spells don't come out of wands AFAIK. Wands have their own attack.

Think of wands like bows for mages.

Anyone else think it looks weird when the wizard casts magic missile? He waves his wand and then the missiles come out of his body instead of the wand.

Iirc, its wands, staves and rods that allow the "Blast" (?) ability. 

Do spells come out of the grimoire or are they supposed to come out of the mages body because, soul power?

Do spells come out of the grimoire or are they supposed to come out of the mages body because, soul power?

I'd imagine it should look similar to BG where the mage sort of "pushes" it out. Like in BG there was that circle the mage/cleric seemed to move his hands around and then "shoot" the spell out.

In the video I could have sworn I saw a 'hadoken' from the cleric but not much hand waving to speak of.

Soul power and coming from the body would make sense to me.

• Like 1

I'd imagine it should look similar to BG where the mage sort of "pushes" it out. Like in BG there was that circle the mage/cleric seemed to move his hands around and then "shoot" the spell out.

In the video I could have sworn I saw a 'hadoken' from the cleric but not much hand waving to speak of.

Actually looking more carefully, it looks like both magic missiles and standard mage attacks (stuff coming out of wand) come from the character's feet and then travel along the ground after the mage swings his wand. I hope this is simply an unpolished animation issue.

Spells should come out of the wand because it's kind of misleading for the mage to swing his wand like a projectile is going to come out and then SURPRISE it magically comes out of his feet. Maybe one's soul resides in one's feet in PoE?

Edited by mwinding
  • Like 1

Actually looking more carefully, it looks like both magic missiles and standard mage attacks (stuff coming out of wand) come from the character's feet and then travel along the ground after the mage swings his wand. I hope this is simply an unpolished animation issue.

Spells should come out of the wand because it's kind of misleading for the mage to swing his wand like a projectile is going to come out and then it magically comes out of his feet. Maybe one's soul resides in one's feet in PoE?

Yea I was going off Josh's post on wands and how they have their own attacks and increase blast damage when being used as an implement.

I wasn't under the impression that you had to use the wand though so spells wouldn't come from it.

Upon watching the stream again I find it so strange that the Aumaua has white man hands and a big blue face. Not sure why I can't get over that, it's freaking me out that his hand color doesn't match his face.

Yeah, I didn't think of it when I first watched the stream, but getting it called out now, it's really, really jarring. They've the same problem with the Aumaua arms too... Hope they fix that. 

I'm totally fine with spells coming from somewhere besides the wand, but it just looks like a mistake. Check out the twitch stream at 1:11:15.

http://www.twitch.tv/archive/archive_popout?id=557643505&t=4373s

This is literally the default wand attack and the projectile comes from his feet and not the wand

Oh, yea that is probably an animation issue? Saying that it was coming from the feet is being nice on one it look like he basically farted out a spell.

Boogerman? former Interplay :)

Edited by GreyFox
  • Like 2

I'm totally fine with spells coming from somewhere besides the wand, but it just looks like a mistake. Check out the twitch stream at 1:11:15.

This is literally the default wand attack and the projectile comes from his feet and not the wand

Oh, yea that is probably an animation issue? Saying that it was coming from the feet is being nice on one it look like he basically farted out a spell.

Boogerman? former Interplay :)

Yeah, hopefully we can avoid farting spells. I haven't played the Stick of Truth, but I'm sure there are enough present there for everyone

• Like 1

Can someone make a .gif of this? It's sort of hard to notice.

Here's the wand attack. You can see the projectile come from the character's feet.

post-55932-0-66108000-1407956587_thumb.gif

• Like 3

Here's magic missile. You can see the missiles come from ... behind his feet to put it nicely.

post-55932-0-99025000-1407956696_thumb.gif

• Like 4