Pathfinder CRPG by Obsidian?

CAHWGVC.jpg

Cloud Guts Karsa Orlong called. He wants his sword back.

Some artist is definitely compensating.

Why armour your limbs but not your vital organs?

• Like 5

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The update relaxed the tension a little. So they're planning a board game, and a video game. I can watch Wil Wheaton play the former on his TableTop show, and I'll play the video game afterward, so that I feel included, and as though I have lots of friends. 

All Stop. On Screen.

The update relaxed the tension a little. So they're planning a board game, and a video game. I can watch Wil Wheaton play the former on his TableTop show, and I'll play the video game afterward, so that I feel included, and as though I have lots of friends.

Wheres this update by chance? I cant seem to find it.

Wheres this update by chance? I cant seem to find it.

Referencing post #50 from Labadal.

All will be revealed this weekend. Well, maybe not all. :)

Press release tomorrow. More details throughout the weekend. We are talking about more than one type of game. I think you guys will be happy. :)

Btw, they are NOT taking over Pathfinder Online. Let's squash that right now.

-Lisa

Another possibility is they could be making the pathfinder adventure card game into a computer game, similar to Magic The Gathering, and Warcraft's Hearthstone.

That said, i'd prefer a CRPG. by far.

You know what I say in life, why do you have to choose? Why not have both?

From the CEO of paizo.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

As there is no publisher in those posters, I would guess that it is either crowd funded game or something other than crpg. Because I don't think that either Obsidian or Paizo has enough funds to pay development of crpg, even one of size of PoE.

In looking at the OGL, I'm not sure the linked article is correct about not being able to use the OGL to create video games. 1b defines 'derivative', 1g defines use in terms of 'derivative', and 4 grants a perpetual use license.

It doesnt right out say it and according to d&d faq on the OGL, its mainly the line that states u cannot add or force "permission or restriction" on the ogl content which most games make u accept an uael agreement to play the game. Its that agreement that is against the OGL, no making a video game but making players agree to restrictions and permissions and so forth.

Which line is that? I don't see it. The main restriction is on Product Identity.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

As there is no publisher in those posters, I would guess that it is either crowd funded game or something other than crpg. Because I don't think that either Obsidian or Paizo has enough funds to pay development of crpg, even one of size of PoE.

Now now. They're about to start selling a game, the funds for the development of which came in form of a present. If they sell it well, they're going to have enough money to develop 10 games the size of PoE. And considering that they have their own engine now, that number is even further increased.

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm intrigued or anything like that, seems a pretty straightforward collaboration to me, but then I don't know anything about Pathfinder. But hey, ruleset and setting are strictly of secondary importance of what I look for in an Obsidian product, so no problem with it as such. Curious how many concurrent projects that makes it though.

Long term though, maintaining two parallel fantasy settings by the same company and largely by the same writers is something I'd probably prefer to avoid, risks of typecasting and all that. But if it's contract work it's contract work.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

it doesn't sound like contract work. from the tenor of lisa's post, it sounds like a partnership, add to the fact, I don't think paizo could afford to pay for contract work. they are going to make a card game and a RPG apparently.  I would guess that this is Tim Cain's thing, he has always wanted to follow up the legendary TOEE, and pathfinder is the perfect system to do it in, and the Adventure paths seem to be much more condusive than old style modules. Of course I could be hyping myself up only for a let down. but if it is what many people are hoping for, TOEE system with pathfinder rules, there are going to be many RPG sites than are going implode tomorrow.

Edited by ikarinokami
  • Like 3

If it's actually a cRPG with tactical party based combat then I'm all for it. If it's an action-cross platform rpg similar to DS3...then less so.

Just move away from the dreadful art style of the source material. Ick.

Still wondering how or who's funding the development. Not seeing any publisher logos from the leaked photos. It'll be interesting the next few days.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Underwhelmed at the idea.

As a game system Pathfinder sucks and as a setting it's a "kitchen sink" thing that doesn't make any kind of internal sense. That's two strikes against it.

In PnP Pathfinder makes more sense because it's compatible with the vast range of DnD stuff, which individual DM's can use to build a world of their choosing. Obsidian can't do this because, I assume, they have to avoid violating canon. That's not a showstopper but it is a significant problem, and one serious enough that they brought it up when pitching P:E.

Of course the "kitchen sink" thing means they can find an area in the setting to put in whatever they want, but they could just as well develop their own setting and avoid the constraints and problems of a licensed IP, and they're going to have to redo the systems anyway due to d20 licensing restrictions, so it's not like Pathfinder will stop them from making a good game.

But if this turns out cool, it's going to be despite it being Pathfinder rather than because of it. If it's a Kickstarter I'll back, but I would have backed an original IP triple.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

In looking at the OGL, I'm not sure the linked article is correct about not being able to use the OGL to create video games. 1b defines 'derivative', 1g defines use in terms of 'derivative', and 4 grants a perpetual use license.

It doesnt right out say it and according to d&d faq on the OGL, its mainly the line that states u cannot add or force "permission or restriction" on the ogl content which most games make u accept an uael agreement to play the game. Its that agreement that is against the OGL, no making a video game but making players agree to restrictions and permissions and so forth.

Which line is that? I don't see it. The main restriction is on Product Identity.

I got words mixed up. Its the "no terms or conditions may be applied to the Open Game Content under this liscense". The D&D faq even had a question if u could make games usimg the d20 system and they answered yes and u had to include a bunch of stuff. The Cheif Technical Officer at paizo said the 2 things that the license does that makes it difficult to do a game even though ur allowed is A "no terms or conditions may be apied to the Open Game Content under this liscense" and basically every game almost makes u agree or has terms and conditions in the game or on the manual, and B. u have to have a file that spells out where all the content came from that u used from the d20 system and OGL (a document) in the game files that can be accessed.

• Like 1

An Obsidian game is very likely to satisfy me, so this is good news.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Not to rain on the parade, but why would Obsidian use the Pathfinder setting?  They just created their own setting that sounds a bit too similar.  

Erm... not really. Pathfinder is pulpy high fantasy, not very concerned with internal consistency or realism. The PoE gameworld looks a lot more down-to-earth, very consistent, and a bit on the low fantasy side.

• Like 2

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Quoting myself in the thread Next Obsidian Kickstarter:

Could it be a d20-rules sandbox-y open world-thingie with Pillars of Eternity-isometrics, but real 3D this time (sorta like WL2), all made in Unity?

I'd say that if this is indeed true, it's a mighty close guess! :)

It was KaineParker on these forums who opened my eyes to Pathfinder, I didn't really know what it was before he explained it. Like PrimeJunta said, though, it's first and foremost a PnP system (which I like), but its helter-skelter high fantasy, I'm not sure I care too much about that.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Excuse me, Pathfinder comics? Okay, will investigate. 

one volume was being sold on Humble Bundle site not too long ago. I didn't like it

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.