Pathfinder CRPG by Obsidian?

Let's be reasonable and say, there has been an expression of interest for a Pathfinder CRPG, and it's probably safe to assume Obsidian would have such plans in their minds as they do a deal like this, but that no concrete set of contracts, circumstances, resources, etc. are in place. 

So it's going to be a Magic type game? I'm interested.

the game is nothing like magic. it is an RPG, except the games master is removed. I would say it is more of an RPG than diablo III but less than PnP games. you have characters, loot, spells, skill checks, weapons, you characters level, gain feats they can die ( the death penalty is quite harsh). I feel confindent in saying if you like PnP Rpgs you will like this game.

and you do need dice. you use a set of D12, D10,  D8, D6, D4

That's interesting. In that case isn't that a little more expansive than what we'd imagine by 'card game'?

Yeah really, who will fund development of the cRPG ... 

It would be an incredible accomplishment for Obsidian to make an RPG card game that is so interesting and fun, it compels me to buy a tablet. I'll give them the chance, of course. 

Also, is Pathfinder limited to "3.75" edition rules. I mean will the release of 5E have any bearing on electronic products from Obsidian and Paizo. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Instead of adventure paths, id be interested in the doing society games. It would offer replayability because each faction u join is wanting something different and the option to see the cities and iconics and also the city of the aroden and the infamous pathfinder captains who give out the missions..

ahhh i can dream

Companies have inner life that is much different of their public statements. 

Lets take Nokia (which I am very familiar with)  as example. They said in public statements after they hired Elop as their CEO that they don't have plans to abandon Symbian OS in their smartphone OS in any time soon in future, but five months after Elop begin as Nokia's CEO, Nokia announced that it will abandon Symbian OS and replace it with Microsoft's Windows Phone OS. Then Nokia said that it don't have plans to close its factories in Finland, but again after few months those were closed. Then both Nokia and MS both said in their public statements that there is no plans to sell or buy Nokia's cell phone unit until day they released public statement that MS will buy Nokia's cell phone unit and that they had bargains for that deal at least last six months.

So I would not take anything that companies say in their public statements at their face value.

Elop is lying and thieving scumbag who should have been shot the moment he put his foot on Finnish soil. Comparing him to other CEO's isn't really fair though. At least most CEOs have at least some competence...

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

Out of curiosity, why are so many people so put off by a card game?  Is it the disappointment that this isn't a traditional cRPG or is it a hatred of card games?  I'm disappointed it's not a cRPG also, but card games can be quite fun.  I'm interested in hearing more about the card game and how it will work.

It less a problem with the game and more with the sad trend Obsidian projects are taking.

You'd think that after South Park they would find some high profile work.

Instead we can almost see the bottom of the barrel.

To those who are disappointed that it's "only" a card game (and frankly, I count myself among them).

It's been said before, but let me say it again:

Paizo does more things with Pathfinder than just the RPG. The card game is pretty successful and they keep releasing new stuff for it constantly (at least a new 100+ cards set every two month).

It's NOT a competetive game like Magic, not a Trading Card game with hundreds of boosters. It's a cooperative game for 1-4 players who play against the game itself, with a sequence of challenges based on the Adventure Paths for the PnP RPG. For more infos, including some Youtube vids on the matter, see HERE.

The partnership isn't for the Pathfinder PRG, it's for Pathfinder as a whole. That includes the card game. I'm looking forward to the tablet game and I hope we'll see a real CRPG in the future.

Also, more news are said to be revealed this weekend. Maybe we'll get something worth discussing then.

EDIT: Also, a new Post from Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens from 20 minutes ago:

There will be a CRPG as well. Obsidian just doesn't have any details to share yet. It is a long term partnership. Many games will be made. Stay tuned!

Source: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2rdai?What-is-this#33

Edited by BlackVader
  • Like 1

Pathfinder is cool and stuff. But I really hope it's not going to be their next Kickstarter project. I mean announcing game with D&D setting right after making game with D&D-like setting is not really ... creative.

pathfinder has a lot of settings, depending on the region. for instance the last AP, was took play in what you could consider anceint egypt, one was about pirates, this month's is about, androids,  robots and lasters. there are places which are ruled by undead, there are places ruled demons, there is a nation where magic is outlawed. a pathfinder RPG could look as simmilar or as dissimmilar as obsidian chooses. as long as Tim Cain gets to redo TOEE pathfinder style, i will be happy.

Pathfinder is cool and stuff. But I really hope it's not going to be their next Kickstarter project. I mean announcing game with D&D setting right after making game with D&D-like setting is not really ... creative.

pathfinder has a lot of settings, depending on the region. for instance the last AP, was took play in what you could consider anceint egypt, one was about pirates, this month's is about, androids,  robots and lasters. there are places which are ruled by undead, there are places ruled demons, there is a nation where magic is outlawed. a pathfinder RPG could look as simmilar or as dissimmilar as obsidian chooses. as long as Tim Cain gets to redo TOEE pathfinder style, i will be happy.

How good are these APs? Because ToEE had **** content exactly because they followed the module closely.

How good are these APs? Because ToEE had **** content exactly because they followed the module closely.

APs have always 6 parts, I can say it's almost with every AP, that 3-4 parts are very high quality material, the other are little bit lower quality. Overall quality for all APs as a whole product, is for me highly above average.

I can't compare with TOEE, I have never seen PnP version of it. But I can say if they will make copy paste from any of their released APs, I will be happy hippo!

I know modules mostly from GMing, but I would really love to experience them again as a player, even if I know most of the plot twists and stuff going on already.

I just hope there will be cRPG with good editor, so I can create for my PnP group some of the PFS modules we played and have fun while playing them on PC again.

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

The APs are complete adventure usally from level 1 to 16, one goes to 20. they are very different from traditional modules, and are perfect for the TOEE treatment.

Doesn't have to be "creative" to be awesome. We need more serious cRPGs in the market, so if Obsidian happens to make a couple in rapid succession, you won't hear me complain! Bring on a new golden age of cRPGs, is what I say!

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Well, I'm not interested at all on a Card Game, but... Something with the Pathfinder rules might be very interesting...

I was just looking at the "Next obsidian Kickstarter" and talking about somethinkg NWN-like with contruction tools like the Aurora Tools, and saying that not having D&D license coud be a problem for it to achieve a project like that to achieve a great success, but with pathfinder rules (AKA D&D 3.5.2) the problem just dissapear.

So.... If they make a game with the PoE engine, of course I'll take a look at it and probably buy it, but what woud be really amazing for me woud be  something simillar to what they did with Neverwinter Nights 2. (Just,,, please, optimize a bit more the game engine :p ,,, and remember that the Construction tools are as important as the game, or even more, I woud say...)

IIRC Pathfinder can't use its rules, because they're a copy of 3.x's rules which are reliant on the old d20 OGL. The OGL specifically rules out electronic products.

this is not correct.

The OGL is actually kind of clear about the topic, in that it states the requirements you must satisfy... but it doesn't provide any advice on how to actually go about satisfying them.

Wizards of the Coast did post a couple of FAQs in 2004 that touch on the topic:

Main OGL FAQ:

OGL FAQ wrote:

Q: I want to distribute computer software using the OGL. Is that possible?

A: Yes, it's certainly possible. The most significant thing that will impact your effort is that you have to give all the recipients the right to extract and use any Open Game Content you've included in your application, and you have to clearly identify what part of the software is Open Game Content.

One way is to design your application so that all the Open Game Content resides in files that are human-readable (that is, in a format that can be opened and understood by a reasonable person). Another is to have all the data used by the program viewable somehow while the program runs.

Distributing the source code not an acceptable method of compliance. First off, most programming languages are not easy to understand if the user hasn't studied the language. Second, the source code is a separate entity from the executable file. The user must have access to the actual Open Content used.

See the
for more information.

The other challenging part of OGL software development is this clause in the OGL:

OGL wrote:

No other terms or conditions may be applied to any Open Game Content distributed using this License.

That suggests that you need to carefully inspect the terms of any software development licenses you're using, as well as the terms of any distribution methods you're using, to ensure that they don't conflict with that.

FYI the post above was by vic wetz one of the owners of pazio about 3 years ago

the above should be relatively easy for obsidian to achieve as i do not belive they use any  or much middleware in thier unity/poe engine

Edited by ikarinokami
  • Like 1

I hope you are right. I would really like to play some APs in cRPG form!

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

IIRC Pathfinder can't use its rules, because they're a copy of 3.x's rules which are reliant on the old d20 OGL. The OGL specifically rules out electronic products.

this is not correct.

My mistake. My information relates to the d20 system licence, which bans interactive games, not the base OGL.

Edited by happyelf

So I've been thinking. Should the Pathfinder cRPG get the green light, how are they going to differentiate this from Eternity? I wouldn't be going out on a limb to state that a significant portion of Obsidian's core audience are specifically cRPG enthusiasts (with emphasis on the C) with an affinity to the isometric perspective and party based tactical combat.

So how to make a game in the same vein as Eternity yet differentiate between the two? Make it turn based.

We're staring to see a resurgence with turn based gaming. X-COM was excellent. Divinity is getting great feedback. In-Xile is concentrating on it.

Marceror in another thread brought up that having played the Eternity beta, a lot of the issues for combat could be eliminated if they went with a turn based system.

I agree. Pacing and feedback are the primary problems and both could be reduced if Obsidian went the turn based route instead. That said, I am optimistic that Josh and the team will get things right eventually.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

So I've been thinking. Should the Pathfinder cRPG get the green light, how are they going to differentiate this from Eternity? I wouldn't be going out on a limb to state that a significant portion of Obsidian's core audience are specifically cRPG enthusiasts (with emphasis on the C) with an affinity to the isometric perspective and party based tactical combat.

So how to make a game in the same vein as Eternity yet differentiate between the two? Make it turn based.

We're staring to see a resurgence with turn based gaming. X-COM was excellent. Divinity is getting great feedback. In-Xile is concentrating on it.

Marceror in another thread brought up that having played the Eternity beta, a lot of the issues for combat could be eliminated if they went with a turn based system.

I agree. Pacing and feedback are the primary problems and both could be reduced if Obsidian went the turn based route instead. That said, I am optimistic that Josh and the team will get things right eventually.

I think turn based combat is an obvious change to differentiate between this and PoE.

Beyond that, we have the ruleset, the setting, the story, the characters, etc. I personally don't feel that it's necessary to make it much more different than that. We had The BG series, IWD series and PST all released fairly closely to each other. They were all similar in many regards, but it didn't matter. We got 5 great games out of that, and I don't see a problem if OE does something similar with PoE and sequels along with, hopefully, a series of Pathfinder cRPGs. I'd call that a little slice of heaven, actually.

If they want to differentiate further, they could of course look to make the Pathfinder cRPG a little more unconventional. I'm not sure if there's Pathfinder alternative to Planescape. But again, I don't feel that level of difference is necessary.

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I really hope the eventual CRPG will switch to turn-based combat. I never enjoyed the RTwP chaos of the Infinity Engine games, but at least the stories in the those games made up for it. Having the combat mirror the ruleset of the Core Rulebook 1:1 will get a lot of tabletop Pathfinder players interested in the game as well!

Yay!  Me wants some Pathfinder Obsidian RPG!  I really like the Golarion world. and all the diff classes rocks too!

Im ok with either TB or RTwP, its all good.  People forget that RTwP does offer some advantages that TB cannot... notably increments in time and more granular combat mechanics (if taken advantage of in the ruleset).  

But if the game were to be a rules replication of Pathfinder D20, then yeah, TB makes more sense.  Maybe something like Wasteland 2/Xcom but fantasy?

anyway, great news!

• Like 1