Pathfinder CRPG by Obsidian?

Edit: Shortened, because lots of words.

We don't actually know if the crpg isn't being worked on as well. As I posted

There will be a CRPG. Just no details to announce right now. Our deal with Obsidian is a long term partnership. I expect there will be many games over the coming years. The card game app was easier for them to get up running fast. There will even be a demo at our booth at GenCon. But there are other plans that will be revealed in time.

Super excited that this is finally public! Looking forward to working with Obsidian on a bunch of awesome Pathfinder games!

Lisa

No details to announce doesn't mean if said crpg isn't in a very early stage of production. Considering she says "will" it hints actually more at something concrete.

(That's the CEO by the way)

Companies have inner life that is much different of their public statements. 

Lets take Nokia (which I am very familiar with)  as example. They said in public statements after they hired Elop as their CEO that they don't have plans to abandon Symbian OS in their smartphone OS in any time soon in future, but five months after Elop begin as Nokia's CEO, Nokia announced that it will abandon Symbian OS and replace it with Microsoft's Windows Phone OS. Then Nokia said that it don't have plans to close its factories in Finland, but again after few months those were closed. Then both Nokia and MS both said in their public statements that there is no plans to sell or buy Nokia's cell phone unit until day they released public statement that MS will buy Nokia's cell phone unit and that they had bargains for that deal at least last six months.

So I would not take anything that companies say in their public statements at their face value.

Can you not edit posts on here? The mods editied my thread title and I want to remove the exclamation point and put a disclaimer in the OP that this thread was created for discussion of a potential Pathfinder CRPG.

Done. Post editing expires after a set duration & thread titles cannot be edited by users. But let me know if this isn't to your liking, I only edited it so people wouldn't be confused.

• Like 1

So I would not take anything that companies say in their public statements at their face value.

Except that wasn't an official statement?

That was a forum post. It's like Sawyer or Adam telling us something.

And Pazio isn't exactly Nokia or Microsoft.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

I would like to fight a Linnorm in a Pathfinder CRPG.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It is post for public by person acting in her position as CEO of company, so I would say it is public statement from Paizo, even if it isn't full blown press release. Companies can be very genuine in their public statements, but lots things can change even in couple months that will change their plans or cause plans to fall through.  

When Sawyer or Adam tell us something it is usually considering details about projects that they are working on, not deals that Obsidian is planing with other companies, which makes what they much less volatile.

It is post for public by person acting in her position as CEO of company, so I would say it is public statement from Paizo, even if it isn't full blown press release. Companies can be very genuine in their public statements, but lots things can change even in couple months that will change their plans or cause plans to fall through.  

When Sawyer or Adam tell us something it is usually considering details about projects that they are working on, not deals that Obsidian is planing with other companies, which makes what they much less volatile.

Except that deal is a reality right now. Something she IS working on. 

It isn't any different.

And again Pazio isn't Nokia. They are a (comparativly) small company as well. 

(Also she said it in fact casually, like the hints she dropped yesterday)

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

Do we know if this card game is going to be mobile only?  I'd like to give the game a chance, but I don't have a tablet, nor am I planning to get one, at least as it stands right now, and a phone screen will be too small likely.  Any chance for a PC release?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Except that deal is a reality right now. Something she is working on.

It isn't any different.

And again Pazio isn't Nokia. They are a (comparativly) small company as well.

It maybe something she is working towards now, or something that is already agreed, or something that is planed, or something that she hopes to become reality. But anyway there is always possibility that deal falls through because of change in circumstances, which is one major reasons why companies are quite reluctant to make announcements about their projects until they can be nearly absolute sure that project will be completed (like for example this card game that is soon in state that they can give gameplay demo for public, which means that they have already done lots of work with it, before today's announcement).

And her statement don't differentiate that much of that of Paradox CEO who said that he hopes their partnership with Obsidian will produce lots more games addition to PoE, but currently there is nothing to announce (not direct quote, but my paraphrasing).

Paizo has a proven track record of community interactment. The CEO, Creative Director, and pretty much everyone else in their company are on the forums all the time discussing things with their fans/consumers, and not just announcments and the like, they will comment on random forum discussions. It is to the point that when they say things, people take it as fact, such is the trust that they have invoked.

Edited by Jigawatts
  • Like 3

I really liked Card Hunter, so if Obsidian made something similar, I'd be all over it (granted, it would have to have good writing and C&C)

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

so a vague internet message board statement that paizo wants to make a crpg with obsidian is having more relevance than an official press release from folks such as nokia? does that sound right to you folks? am not thinking paizo is a company with public traded stock, so message board ramblings have even less significance for paizo than would nokia. the pnp rpg maker could claim that they is hopeful to at some point in the future raise the titanic so that they could play games from decks o' the sunken leviathan as part o' future paizo day celebration and it would have the same significance as the crpg comments from the paizo ceo. if no crpg is made, worst you could say o' paizo is that they had intentions o' making at least one crpg (vague descriptor in this day and age,) but failed to do so. so what?

we would look forward to a paizo/obsidian crpg collaboration, but we got nothing to be enthused 'bout save the possibility that such a game could be developed in the future? is that it? the only thing in the box is the card game. play schrödinger's cat thought experiments is not having much value as far as we can see.

the horrible thing is that we got loads o' folks on these boards who justifiably complain 'bout certain publishers and developers generating empty and meaningless hype for their games and yet 'cause is obsidian, folks here is willing to  generate their own mystical hype for a maybe game for which you know absolute zero.  weird.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

And her statement don't differentiate that much of that of Paradox CEO who said that he hopes their partnership with Obsidian will produce lots more games addition to PoE, but currently there is nothing to announce (not direct quote, but my paraphrasing).

Except Paradox doesn't have an actual deal for multiple products with Obsidian. They're at the moment just contracted for Eternity.

Also what Jigawatts said.

the horrible thing is that we got loads o' folks on these boards who justifiably complain 'bout certain publishers and developers generating empty and meaningless hype for their games and yet 'cause is obsidian, folks here is willing to  generate their own mystical hype for a maybe game for which you know absolute zero.  weird.

Show me a single example where Paizo has failed to deliver a hyped product. As I said above, there is a quantifiable reason why people take their word as gospel.

Again.

A deal is already in place. That's what has been confirmed.

It's not just *One collabaration + maybe something in the future*.

It's a long term deal for Obsidian to produce electronic games with the license. Like EA has with Star Wars and Interplay and Atari had with Wizards for D&D.

That's what the press release states and what the people involved talk about.  Of course nothing may come of it long time (due to lack of funding for example), but that doesn't mean all the people involved are daydreaming and/or lying about it.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

It's not just *One collabaration + maybe something in the future*.

have you read the entire agreement? lord knows if we were a developer or publisher in an extreme volatile industry, we would make possible to get out o' deals that possibly turn sour. 

please note that atari had actual d&d license for years and for various reasons stopped making crpgs. oh, you can give us reasons why no crpgs were made? So What? things change. paizo circumstances can change just as did atari's. 

the press release says nothing about crpgs in any event.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I really liked Card Hunter, so if Obsidian made something similar, I'd be all over it (granted, it would have to have good writing and C&C)

Card Hunter is indeed all types of fun.  If it winds up being something like that, I'll likely get it, assuming it's on a platform I own.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

In looking at the OGL, I'm not sure the linked article is correct about not being able to use the OGL to create video games. 1b defines 'derivative', 1g defines use in terms of 'derivative', and 4 grants a perpetual use license.

It doesnt right out say it and according to d&d faq on the OGL, its mainly the line that states u cannot add or force "permission or restriction" on the ogl content which most games make u accept an uael agreement to play the game. Its that agreement that is against the OGL, no making a video game but making players agree to restrictions and permissions and so forth.

Which line is that? I don't see it. The main restriction is on Product Identity.

I got words mixed up. Its the "no terms or conditions may be applied to the Open Game Content under this liscense". The D&D faq even had a question if u could make games usimg the d20 system and they answered yes and u had to include a bunch of stuff. The Cheif Technical Officer at paizo said the 2 things that the license does that makes it difficult to do a game even though ur allowed is A "no terms or conditions may be apied to the Open Game Content under this liscense" and basically every game almost makes u agree or has terms and conditions in the game or on the manual, and B. u have to have a file that spells out where all the content came from that u used from the d20 system and OGL (a document) in the game files that can be accessed.

Well, just drop the obnoxious legalese of questionable legality nobody reads anyway; problem solved.

Proud Probatanthrope @D:OS

Tor.com: Boob Plate Armor Would Kill You (cf. "ball plate armor" - Just think about it.)

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is an existing physical card game, correct?  Has anyone here played it?  If so, how does it play?  How does it compare to MtG?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Show me a single example where Paizo has failed to deliver a hyped product. As I said above, there is a quantifiable reason why people take their word as gospel.

you honestly believe that every paizo product has been matching hype? we has seen any number o' their products that got criticized by fans. recent deity products for pathfinder is Nothing save reprints o' the material that were included in the adventure paths, but with some new art. more than a few criticized empty hype for what amounted to repackaging o' old material. and this ain't just paizo doing pnp products, is it? the reason why they would need team-up with obsidian is 'cause the products envisioned is not like past paizo products.

hype for possible future games when all we actual know anything 'bout is a card game? again, am not criticizing card games. the obsidian/paizo card game might be groovey-kewl... am sure all the kids will be playing it on their smartphones. disney, for example, seems convinced that the mobile games is where the money will be for the star wars franchise. dunno. regardless o' popularity, Gromnir is not the target audience for such things. regardless, making a card game today doesn't give us much reason to buy-in to any kinda hype for a theoretical paizo/obsidian crpg for which we know Zero details. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps am done here. until there actual is news, we don't see a reason to beat schrödinger's cat into a formless paste.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

I still have fond memories of TSR's attempts with Birthright. So I'd like to imagine what Obsidian would do if they tried adapting the Kingmaker adventure path..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is an existing physical card game, correct? Has anyone here played it? If so, how does it play? How does it compare to MtG?

U dont buy cards, they are all there in the adventure. Best way i can explain is its like playing an adventure but instead of pencils and dice, u use cards instead.

• Like 2

So it's going to be a Magic type game? I'm interested.

the game is nothing like magic. it is an RPG, except the games master is removed. I would say it is more of an RPG than diablo III but less than PnP games. you have characters, loot, spells, skill checks, weapons, you characters level, gain feats they can die ( the death penalty is quite harsh). I feel confindent in saying if you like PnP Rpgs you will like this game.

and you do need dice. you use a set of D12, D10,  D8, D6, D4

Edited by ikarinokami
  • Like 2