Pathfinder CRPG by Obsidian?

Yea....so I don't care too much about a card game so maybe that's for the Pathfinder fanatics.

The relationship is stated to be "long-term" so I have no doubt they'll do a cRPG(s) with the license at some point.

am actually not knowing many pathfinder fanatics that would be interested in a card game, but clearly there is enough. we joked about the possibility o' the project being nothing more than a smart phone app, but it seems that our mocking were closer to the truth than we hoped.

d&d d20 were actual a very good system. sure, the game eventually got too big for itself with literal hundreds o' splat book prestige classes, feats and spells, but the core system were excellent. and yeah, stuff like the ranger class and harm spell needed to be balanced, and bab were a flawed thac0 wannabee from d&d, but 'tween levels 4 and 12, d&d d20 were a relative intuitive and well designed system that allowed for a great deal o' dm freedom. 

when d&d abandoned d20 and went to 4.0, there were, understandably, more than a few folks who wished for a more familiar incarnation o' d&d. so, paizo created pathfinder and many o' the d&d refugees were overjoyed at the results. not only were the core rules more coherent and balanced than d&d 3.5 (and why wouldn't they be as there had been so much time to perfect d20,) but the adventure paths were frequent superior to wotc offerings. rise o' the runelords, with the possible exception o' the final module, were excellent and thoroughly fulfilling. more than a few o' the adventure paths has been at least as good as runelords if not better. reign of winter, for example, is the best commercial adventure we has played in years.

on the negative side, much as d&d began to collapse under its own weight, so too has pathfinder. there is simply too much. the more rules and feats and classes you add to a game, the more difficult it is to retain coherence and balance. with each new book, pathfinder becomes more in need o' a serious overhaul. paizo boards is awash with optimized builds and discussions o' rules exploits. a large % o' folks is gaming the game, and that is not healthy. 

that being said, d20 were excellent. many gamers realized that d20 were excellent. that is why pathfinder has been so well received, making it the mostest popular pnp system. 

obsidian making a pathfinder game strikes us as a good idea. on the other hand, obsidian making an electronic card game is meh. am doubting most pathfinder players actual care 'bout this news, but as we noted above, there must be enough folks to make this a reasonable project... which just goes to show how many pathfinder fans there is.

still, the actual news is... meh.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Everyone is aware that this is a long term licensing agreement and the card game adaption is just the first thing that will be made, because its the easiest/fastest thing to do, right?

Edited by C2B

Everyone is aware that this is a long term licensing agreement and the card game adaption is just the first thing that will be made, because its the easiest/fastest thing to do, right?

anything beyond the card game is hypothetical.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The future is irrelevant until tis disclosed. All we know right now is a stupid car game is being made. I'll pass. If a CRPG is announced later than I'll react to it.

For now, my last post states it well"

L0L card game L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Most people probably stopped reading at "card game" and went nuts.

Hate the living, love the dead.

HA! Good Fun!

It is mentioned as long term with multiple projects both in the press release and by Pazio's CEO.

Edited by C2B

Well I for one stopped reading at card game, but did not go nuts lol.  I was hoping it was a cRPG, but this partnership is still awesome to see.  Maybe a cRPG will happen in the future, maybe not.  I won't touch the card game (zero interest), but a CRPG I most certainly would.  Big fan of Pathfinder RPG.  :)

• Like 1

Well I for one stopped reading at card game, but did not go nuts lol.  I was hoping it was a cRPG, but this partnership is still awesome to see.  Maybe a cRPG will happen in the future, maybe not.  I won't touch the card game (zero interest), but a CRPG I most certainly would.  Big fan of Pathfinder RPG.  :)

Actually, yes there will be. It's at least in the plans.

There will be a CRPG. Just no details to announce right now. Our deal with Obsidian is a long term partnership. I expect there will be many games over the coming years. The card game app was easier for them to get up running fast. There will even be a demo at our booth at GenCon. But there are other plans that will be revealed in time.

Super excited that this is finally public! Looking forward to working with Obsidian on a bunch of awesome Pathfinder games!

Lisa

Edited by C2B
  • Like 2

HA! Good Fun!

It is mentioned as long term with multiple projects both in the press release and by Pazio's CEO.

which means absolutely nothing. honest. we don't know anything about the future projects and any deal can be renegotiated at any time. 

serious folks, other than the card game, there is nothing to see at this time. hell, how many games has bis/obsidian actual contributed serious man-hours to that eventual got cancelled? more than a couple. for folks to get excited about hypothetical future games we has Zero details about is striking us as a bit silly.

*shrug*

is a card game with the possibility o' complete unspecified projects down the road? huzzah? be excited if you will, but let's not blow this news out o' proportion.

HA! Good Fun!

Out of curiosity, why are so many people so put off by a card game?  Is it the disappointment that this isn't a traditional cRPG or is it a hatred of card games?  I'm disappointed it's not a cRPG also, but card games can be quite fun.  I'm interested in hearing more about the card game and how it will work.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yea....so I don't care too much about a card game so maybe that's for the Pathfinder fanatics.

The relationship is stated to be "long-term" so I have no doubt they'll do a cRPG(s) with the license at some point.

am actually not knowing many pathfinder fanatics that would be interested in a card game, but clearly there is enough. we joked about the possibility o' the project being nothing more than a smart phone app, but it seems that our mocking were closer to the truth than we hoped.

d&d d20 were actual a very good system. sure, the game eventually got too big for itself with literal hundreds o' splat book prestige classes, feats and spells, but the core system were excellent. and yeah, stuff like the ranger class and harm spell needed to be balanced, and bab were a flawed thac0 wannabee from d&d, but 'tween levels 4 and 12, d&d d20 were a relative intuitive and well designed system that allowed for a great deal o' dm freedom. 

when d&d abandoned d20 and went to 4.0, there were, understandably, more than a few folks who wished for a more familiar incarnation o' d&d. so, paizo created pathfinder and many o' the d&d refugees were overjoyed at the results. not only were the core rules more coherent and balanced than d&d 3.5 (and why wouldn't they be as there had been so much time to perfect d20,) but the adventure paths were frequent superior to wotc offerings. rise o' the runelords, with the possible exception o' the final module, were excellent and thoroughly fulfilling. more than a few o' the adventure paths has been at least as good as runelords if not better. reign of winter, for example, is the best commercial adventure we has played in years.

on the negative side, much as d&d began to collapse under its own weight, so too has pathfinder. there is simply too much. the more rules and feats and classes you add to a game, the more difficult it is to retain coherence and balance. with each new book, pathfinder becomes more in need o' a serious overhaul. paizo boards is awash with optimized builds and discussions o' rules exploits. a large % o' folks is gaming the game, and that is not healthy. 

that being said, d20 were excellent. many gamers realized that d20 were excellent. that is why pathfinder has been so well received, making it the mostest popular pnp system. 

obsidian making a pathfinder game strikes us as a good idea. on the other hand, obsidian making an electronic card game is meh. am doubting most pathfinder players actual care 'bout this news, but as we noted above, there must be enough folks to make this a reasonable project... which just goes to show how many pathfinder fans there is.

still, the actual news is... meh.

HA! Good Fun!

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Like for you sir

HA! Good Fun!

which means absolutely nothing. honest. we don't know anything about the future projects and any deal can be renegotiated at any time. 

serious folks, other than the card game, there is nothing to see at this time. hell, how many games has bis/obsidian actual contributed serious man-hours to that eventual got cancelled? more than a couple. for folks to get excited about hypothetical future games we has Zero details about is striking us as a bit silly.

*shrug*

is a card game with the possibility o' complete unspecified projects down the road? huzzah? be excited if you will, but let's not blow this news out o' proportion.

HA! Good Fun!

It is a long term agreement.

It's confirmed that there will be multiple projects,

Of course this means something.

By the same logic the card game is just as hypothetical. It isn't out yet, so the possiblity is very much intact its not going to be released. It can get cancelled as well.

So, unless we're prophets what are we exactly discussing here?

Edited by C2B

Out of curiosity, why are so many people so put off by a card game? Is it the disappointment that this isn't a traditional cRPG or is it a hatred of card games? I'm disappointed it's not a cRPG also, but card games can be quite fun. I'm interested in hearing more about the card game and how it will work.

I'd say that getting a tablet card game is a bit of a downer if you were expecting a CRPG. But if Obsidian makes a Pathfinder vidya gaem in the future, I will be very happy.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"Out of curiosity, why are so many people so put off by a card game?  Is it the disappointment that this isn't a traditional cRPG or is it a hatred of card games?  I'm disappointed it's not a cRPG also, but card games can be quite fun.  I'm interested in hearing more about the card game and how it will work."

Nothing wrong with card games. I love cards but if I wanna play cards I'll play cards.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Out of curiosity, why are so many people so put off by a card game?  Is it the disappointment that this isn't a traditional cRPG or is it a hatred of card games?  I'm disappointed it's not a cRPG also, but card games can be quite fun.  I'm interested in hearing more about the card game and how it will work.

it could be the bestest damn fantasy card game., evar. our interest will still be zero. pathfinder is a pnp rpg. am interested in paizo 'cause o' pathfinder. the only games by obsidian we has had interest in is crpgs. we didn't even play ds3 'cause ds franchise is too actiony for our tastes. is not as if we is saying card games is for losers or somesuch nonsense. is simply an observation that the teaser news were intriguing 'cause o' the rpg experience o' paizo and obsidian. so, fact that the reality is a card game is... meh.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

HA! Good Fun!

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

It is a long term agreement.

It's confirmed that there will be multiple projects,

actually, it really doesn't mean anything. and yeah, the card game can get cancelled, but at least they is working on it. the electronic game industry is extreme volatile, so even games in development is frequent cancelled. how much less excited is we about future, maybe, possibly projects that we have zero details 'bout? is possible that crpg never happens and obsidian does a series o' card games? yes. is possible card game sells horrible and obsidian and paizo go different ways? yes. is possible Gromnir can come up with another dozen possibilities? yes.

serious. this is not particularly noteworthy news unless you is interested in the card game.

HA! Good Fun! 

"Out of curiosity, why are so many people so put off by a card game?  Is it the disappointment that this isn't a traditional cRPG or is it a hatred of card games?  I'm disappointed it's not a cRPG also, but card games can be quite fun.  I'm interested in hearing more about the card game and how it will work."

Nothing wrong with card games. I love cards but if I wanna play cards I'll play cards.

Yea...not to mention that MTG card game + Hearthstone and such are already in place for people who play card games online.

I'm not sure a Hearthstone player would play Pathfinger Cards as most of those guys only play it due to WoW, Warcraft, or another Blizzard game put them there. It's not like they were aching for a cardgame from Blizzard.

I guess we'll see how it goes that's why I assumed Pathfinder people would mostly play it because who else knows about Pathfinder Card Adventures?

in fairness the pathfinder adventure card game is very unique. it is not a collectible card game. it is literally an RPG played with cards, it's one of the most unique games out there currently and it very popular among co-op board gamers. I think the best thing is that it will be easier to solo play on an electronic format. even though I wanted my TOEE styled game first, I will buy this if it comes out on PC.

• Like 3

Edit: Shortened, because lots of words.

We don't actually know if the crpg isn't being worked on as well. As I posted

There will be a CRPG. Just no details to announce right now. Our deal with Obsidian is a long term partnership. I expect there will be many games over the coming years. The card game app was easier for them to get up running fast. There will even be a demo at our booth at GenCon. But there are other plans that will be revealed in time.

Super excited that this is finally public! Looking forward to working with Obsidian on a bunch of awesome Pathfinder games!

Lisa

No details to announce doesn't mean if said crpg isn't in a very early stage of production. Considering she says "will" it hints actually more at something concrete.

(That's the CEO by the way)

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1