Pathfinder CRPG by Obsidian?

Interesting. Using the pathfinder rules is a no-go, though, so this seems like a slightly odd exercise. Still awesome, if obsids gets some "real" work!

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Spotted at Codex:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/16/obsidian-on-project-eternity-kickstarters-future/

Nothing stops us from being able to do those two different things. It’s going to make us look at Eternity as a brand. What else can we do with it? I want to hook up with the Pathfinder guys and see about doing a Pathfinder Eternity world book thing. It sounds a little weird, but… A card game. A board game. I’ve already been chatting with Cryptozoic Entertainment. We have nothing going on specifically, but they have a lot of experience in board games and card games. That’s what’s going to be transformative.

It's a year and a half old, but...

Edited by Undecaf
  • Like 2

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Do we know if it's going to even be a cRPG?

Or consolized?

it could be a weird smartphone app for all we know, but given that obsidian (known for crpg developments) is seeming partnered with paizo on a pathfinder title, we would be a bit surprised if it weren't a crpg o' some flavor.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I agree with the general positive vibe, and that indeed this news could be coated in a thick layer of awesomeness.

But, as the link sez...

However, it is important to remember that the Open Game License that allows Paizo to release games based on the d20 System prohibits the adaptation of the system into video games. Specifically:

“Derivative Material” means copyrighted material including derivative works and translations (including into other computer languages)

But that does not restrict Pathfinder from adapting their intellectual properties into video games that run on other systems. Remember, Pathfinder is not just a Roleplaying Game but also a game setting, inhabited by people, organizations, gods, and stories, all owned by Paizo, Inc. Just like Pathfinder Online will not be d20 based, neither will Obsidian Entertainment’s Pathfinder, and they are both perfectly legal to exist.

Pathfinder's designers knew the risks when they went down the D20 route - that's been in place since 3E (i.e. almost fourteen years).

But apart from that rules stuff, which as many of us agree can be a blind alley when it comes to pen and paper rules in a CRPG, it looks interesting.

Unless of course it's a card trading game thing, in which case I'll just fall asleep (q.v. Tragic - The Gathering).

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

It's basically DnD rules wise since it's based on the DnD d20 system. I know nothing about the actual setting because I try not to pay attention to rip offs.

AFAIK they can't use the D20 system rules as its prohibited in the Open Gaming License; so the game would have to have its own rule system (presuming that they couldn't also license the D20 rules independent of the Pathfinder setting but that seems like a lot of rules...)
Im getting a headache reading the OGL and all it engails, but im not seeing where it is prohibited. Granted i am seeing different things such as different types of d20 clauses i guess that state u have u refrence and say d&d books whereas some u do not. Like the erotica book they tried to stop but said company was able to publish under the OGL anyways just under a different section i guess...

head is hurting with all technical mumbojumbo

Edit-ok saw the link to pathfinder OGL, where does it say it cant be used in a video game, im not seeing it.

Double edit-now i see what the problem is. Its not that d20 cant be used for video games, it can be, the problem lies in that no terms or agreements can be added to the ogl content and that u have to have a file that can be read by a human thag states where the ogl stuff came from. The terms and greement i think can still be added to the software itself, just not to the material in the game. Meaning u can agree not to misuse the software ofbthe game but the content of the game there are no terms that says u cannot use that material for something else. Etc etc. A bit weird and i can see why alot dont use it.

Edited by redneckdevil
  • Like 1

Spotted at Codex:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/16/obsidian-on-project-eternity-kickstarters-future/

Nothing stops us from being able to do those two different things. It’s going to make us look at Eternity as a brand. What else can we do with it? I want to hook up with the Pathfinder guys and see about doing a Pathfinder Eternity world book thing. It sounds a little weird, but… A card game. A board game. I’ve already been chatting with Cryptozoic Entertainment. We have nothing going on specifically, but they have a lot of experience in board games and card games. That’s what’s going to be transformative.

I remember that quote now that I read it, as I thought at the time I'd want to see what PoE was like before buying written sourcebooks.

BUT...maybe this is what its all about.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just like Pathfinder Online will not be d20 based, neither will Obsidian Entertainment’s Pathfinder, and they are both perfectly legal to exist.

Someone asked whether there is already a PF game -- there is an MMO in development, although it's nowhere near completion. It would make sense to adapt the rules from there, as that one is already not D20 and real-time, which fits neatly into Eternity's engine.

Edited by Endrosz

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Not to rain on the parade, but why would Obsidian use the Pathfinder setting?  They just created their own setting that sounds a bit too similar.  

I've long been on the "create original" bandwagon, but have found that the quickest way to be educated about something is to be vocally opposed to it.

The obvious reasons to use Pathfinder is if Paizo is paying for it. Or if they wanted to catch some of the Pathfinder audience. Seems simple enough. But they could also really like Pathfinder. I know it's strange to think about operating within someone else's restrictions. But it happens all the time for artists who simply enamored with someone else's work and wish to get to play with it for a while.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Not to rain on the parade, but why would Obsidian use the Pathfinder setting?  They just created their own setting that sounds a bit too similar.  

A number of Obsi game designers are big fans of Pathfinder, just for the record.

The main reason is what Feargus says repeatedly in interviews -- they're always on the lookout for contract jobs, and they work with whomever's willing. It seems Paizo was willing. If there is a PF game in the works at Obsidian, that doesn't hinder the development of the Eternity franchise in any way, in fact more employees are fed using the very same non-licensed (!) engine. That's big savings and nice future propects, right there.

• Like 2

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Spotted at Codex:

The head people of Paizo have stated that even though they have goblinworks doing the mmo, they would love to do more video games, its just they were looking for the right developers and they said this May of last year.

it makes a good deal o' sense if this is for a crpg. according to paizo, their pathfinder system is the mostest popular current pnp role-play system. we tend to believe paizo, but is only based on anecdotal that we sees popularity o' pathfinder. is many current pathfinder fans who have no crpg outlet. am not certain why obsidian would need or want to create print rulebooks that use PoE rules in the pathfinder setting, but we can see paizo wanting to get electronic gaming exposure for their pathfinder setting.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

actually, some o' the recent artwork from pathfinder were what we were gonna use for PoE

http://paizo.com/image/content/PathfinderRPG/PZO1129-Investigator_500.jpeg

favorite mage image we has seen in years?

http://paizo.com/image/content/PathfinderRPG/PZO1129_Swashbuckler.jpg

swashbuckler looks good, and the next would be a good PoE ranger

http://paizo.com/image/content/PathfinderRPG/PZO1129-Hunter.jpg

many o' the jade regent and iron gods path covers got interesting icons as well.

HA! Good Fun!

And there's a background reason for that sword.

Said barbarian claimed it as a trophy from a Frost Giant. so she can only use it properly when she's using the Barbarian rage ability which boosts her strength...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

we loathe the barbarian icon because o' the ridiculous sword. on the paizo boards we commented that the thing were insane and we got slammed by the majority... looked like a perfect reasonable bastard sword to most folks. paizo did eventual make it a Large bastard sword, but even so, one wonders how something that looks like the lawnmower blade for King Kong's john deere rider could function as a weapon.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 5

In looking at the OGL, I'm not sure the linked article is correct about not being able to use the OGL to create video games. 1b defines 'derivative', 1g defines use in terms of 'derivative', and 4 grants a perpetual use license.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

In looking at the OGL, I'm not sure the linked article is correct about not being able to use the OGL to create video games. 1b defines 'derivative', 1g defines use in terms of 'derivative', and 4 grants a perpetual use license.

It doesnt right out say it and according to d&d faq on the OGL, its mainly the line that states u cannot add or force "permission or restriction" on the ogl content which most games make u accept an uael agreement to play the game. Its that agreement that is against the OGL, no making a video game but making players agree to restrictions and permissions and so forth.

All will be revealed this weekend. Well, maybe not all. :)

Press release tomorrow. More details throughout the weekend. We are talking about more than one type of game. I think you guys will be happy. :)

Btw, they are NOT taking over Pathfinder Online. Let's squash that right now.

-Lisa

Another possibility is they could be making the pathfinder adventure card game into a computer game, similar to Magic The Gathering, and Warcraft's Hearthstone.

That said, i'd prefer a CRPG. by far.

You know what I say in life, why do you have to choose? Why not have both?

From the CEO of paizo.

• Like 3