[Possible Spoilers] Pillars of Eternity will be livestreamed at Gamescom

Am I the only one that occasionaly tries to control the cursor while watching these videos in fullscreen? :facepalm:

Someone asked a few pages ago about the blue/red glow that sometimes appear over the character's head... I'm thinking that could be the result of the paladin's aura.

• Like 3

You do have to applaud his patience with such things.

Sit around 8+ hours a day designing all this stuff for the past year and a half, and now you've got people asking for a complete rundown of it in action, over and over and over and over... :)

Seriously. *Applause* to Josh and co.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Am I the only one that occasionaly tries to control the cursor while watching these videos in fullscreen? :facepalm:

So it's not just me then :lol:

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Can't this produce a deadlock where one can't rest anymore ?

1/ Characters need to be close in order to rest.

2/ 2 Characters are knocked out, very far from each other.

From what I understand...characters should stand back up as long as no enemies are withing x many yards(or LoS).

So as long as you aren't in "danger" characters will come back and then  you can rest.

I think that's right. In the video, it seemed to be the 'patrol spider' (or was it a beetle? - in the upper right) preventing the character from getting up. If you had characters down, you would need to kill whatever was near them to be able to rest. Good question though - a deadlock like that would break the game.

You can craft chocolate biscuits!!

*ahem* sorry, got excited about that for some reason :lol:

Edited by Silent Winter
  • Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Here's a question for the Obsidianites: The beetle fights seem like just random wilderness encounters not tied to any quest. Do you get any xp for them at all or wasting resources on them is just wasteful?  This is where 'battle xp' (or soemthing similiar) would be useful and why 'quest xp only' falls short.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Here's a question for the Obsidianites: The beetle fights seem like just random wilderness encounters not tied to any quest. Do you get any xp for them at all or wasting resources on them is just wasteful?  This is where 'battle xp' (or soemthing similiar) would be useful and why 'quest xp only' falls short.

They're wild animals, a legit part of the ecosystem. Should they give you xp for killing deer too? Unless some frontiersman comes to you and asks you to kill the beetle colony that's in the middle of his trade route or whatever, I don't see why you should be rewarded for, what, tossing a grenade down a gopher hole.

You get the assumably valuable materials from the dead animal and open up areas that might have dungeons, treasure or quests. That's good enough.

Edited by Panteleimon

I think the XP gained is supposed to be directly proportional to the calories burned doing whatever it is you did. :)

Also, I think this currently has its own thread.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

." Should they give you xp for killing deer too?"

Deer aren't trying to kill. Bad comparison.

"You get the assumably valuable materials from the dead animal and open up areas that might have dungeons, treasure or quests. That's good enough."

So.. you only learn stuff if someone tells you do stuff? WTH?

presumably your character who survive the beetle battle would learn something. That is what xp is supposed to be aboout. EPIC FAIL on your fanboyism excuse.

Killing the ogre next you xp because you were told to  kill him (or talk to him) but killing the beetles don't? LOGIC. NOT NEEDED . :p

The game looks terrific but this could turn into a horrible BL situation. I hope not as the game deserves more than that.

Edit: it created a new post instead of editing - see below

Edited by Silent Winter

depending on your party make-up/skills, you may be able to sneak past some such encounters but others are just 'in your way'

Don't want to fight them?  Then don't go exploring over there.

The reward for beating them is as Pantaleimon said: The loot and the opening up of more areas.

The game is based around the challenge, not the xp - the xp you need will be fulfilled through other objectives (many of which will involve killing).

An alternative way to look at is that the XP reward for getting through the area (needing to kill those beetles) and exploring the dungeon is just delayed until you complete the objective.

So.. you only learn stuff if someone tells you do stuff? WTH?

presumably your character who survive the beetle battle would learn something. That is what xp is supposed to be aboout. EPIC FAIL on your fanboyism excuse.

This has been argued before: Quest does not equal objective (In one vid, Adam killed the ogre before getting the quest from the farmer and still got the xp)

XP is abstracted - you don't get it for every action - 'firing and hitting that tree' should help you learn archery too but this isn't a simulation.

You get the xp for the objectives, not every kill, just try to live with it

Edited by Silent Winter
  • Like 1

"Also, I think this currently has its own thread."

I'm asking a question to do with the video. It belongs here.

"Quest does not equal objective (In one vid, Adam killed the ogre before getting the quest from the farmer and still got the xp)"

So.. why is the ogre worth xp but not the beetles? Does not make sense. Maybe I hate beetles and my objective is to kill every one. I should get xp for that.

Xp should be about 'learning' (in the abstract obviously it's exactly the same). There is no logical reason why a party that defeats those beetles should NOT get any xp for it. NONE

^because the devs decided that killing your way through those beetles and finding the cave and getting past the spiders AND dealing with the ogre was worth [number]XP

Or didn't you read my point about 'delayed reward'?

The reward for beating them is as Pantaleimon said: The loot and the opening up of more areas.

The opening up of more areas? Has it been confirmed that the beetles scattered around in these wilderness maps will unlock new areas/dungeons upon their deaths? Also, I'm pretty sure that whatever loot beetles drop will not be good enough to justify the resources/per day abilities that will have to be expended to prevent a total party wipe, like the one we saw in the Demonstration.

Listen, I for one have come to terms with the fact that "fun" will often times have to suffice as the reward for engaging in combat. Lets just leave it at that, instead of inventing justifications that aren't actually there.

^because the devs decided that killing your way through those beetles and finding the cave and getting past the spiders AND dealing with the ogre was worth [number]XP

We don't know that either, as Adam did not do a pacifist run through the area in order to get to the Ogre. For all we know the only thing that he was rewarded for was for dealing with the Ogre....and not anything else. So Volourn's question remains: why did they Get XP for slaying the Ogre, but none for slaying the Beetles and the spider? Edited by Stun

I'm asking a question to do with the video. It belongs here.

Indeed, your question does belong here, which is why I said nothing to the contrary. I was just letting you know about the thread, since you seemed to have more to say about the issue beyond just the question.

The opening up of more areas? Has it been confirmed that the beetles scattered around in these wilderness maps will unlock new areas/dungeons upon their deaths?

What kind of a nonsense question is that?

Did I specify beetles? - No.

What I said was that IF you want to get through to those areas (like the cave), then you NEED to somehow overcome the beetle threat.

Your reward for overcoming the beetles (in this case) threat is that you can access those otherwise inaccessible areas.

(See also: Delayed XP)

This isn't simply a matter of "inventing justifications that aren't actually there." - it's the justification given before for the quest XP system - multiple solutions to achieve goals - XP for achieving goals - killing beetles in and of itself isn't a goal here.

Edit: Spleling

Edit 2: Choclolate biscuits will probably not be a goal either - but if I want them, I'll have to satisfy myself with crafting them for the benefits that they do give. <- before anyone jumps on this as being 'my point' - it's not - it's tongue in cheek - I just like the idea of crafting chocolate biscuits :p

Edited by Silent Winter

Also, I'm pretty sure that whatever loot beetles drop will not be good enough to justify the resources/per day abilities that will have to be expended to prevent a total party wipe, like the one we saw in the Demonstration.

You're awfully sure of things, to have so little information. Perhaps they are a delicacy to a certain culture/group of people? Made all the more rare and worthwhile by the evident difficulty of slaying them for their meaty goodness.

The opening up of more areas? Has it been confirmed that the beetles scattered around in these wilderness maps will unlock new areas/dungeons upon their deaths? Also, I'm pretty sure that whatever loot beetles drop will not be good enough to justify the resources/per day abilities that will have to be expended to prevent a total party wipe, like the one we saw in the Demonstration.

What's wrong with you people?  Where is your sense of adventure?  We are professional Adventurers here and professional Adventurers are required to kill every single living thing they can, pillage it's corpse for loot (usefulness or value are not factors here), break into it's home, and steal all it's crap.

This is how it is done people!  Get with the program!

• Like 8

Also, I'm pretty sure that whatever loot beetles drop will not be good enough to justify the resources/per day abilities that will have to be expended to prevent a total party wipe, like the one we saw in the Demonstration.

You're awfully sure of things, to have so little information.

Ok, let me clarify. Beetles better NOT drop dragon hoards, or 6-packs of powerful alchemical mixtures (potions), otherwise this game has far bigger design issues than anything we're discussing here.

Your reward for overcoming the beetles (in this case) threat is that you can access those otherwise inaccessible areas.

(See also: Delayed XP)

I'll ask again. Where are you getting this from? Is that dungeon inaccessible until the beetles are slain? Are you prevented from accessing ANY Area transition on the entire map until you've dealt with the beetle threat?

As for delayed XP....will the rewards be less if you run away from the beetles and just make a bee-line to the Ogre den?

Edited by Stun