[Possible Spoilers] Pillars of Eternity will be livestreamed at Gamescom

- The background looks like it's scaled too large for the size of characters. The smaller statured characters almost got lost in all that long grass and the rocks lying about all look oversized in relation to characters. The inn was also far too spacious to look comfortable.

Great points, Justinian! :)

However this one I'm not too sure about. High grasses do this to all height-challenged humanoids, and as for the spacious inn, Obsidian has already said that they have been building deliberately roomy corridors and interiors in order to make better pathfinding and combat and so on. I can't find the link to that statement, though.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I would most likely be a nervous wreck trying to show my game off in front of 8000 viewers or so too, so I can't really blame Adam for messing up there, I see many other developers that are streaming at Gamescom keep messing up - many of them having bug issues rather than "skill" issues. I really liked the taste I got of the game - the art is beautiful, the combat looks fun and I enjoyed the deeper look at character creation. 

If I have to point a finger at anything it's just small details like what some NPC's are saying are hard to read because of the background:

DMmBYnb.jpg

I'm also used to be a bit more "zoomed out" than what we are in PoE, but I will get used to playing that way pretty fast.

• Like 6

I would most likely be a nervous wreck trying to show my game off in front of 8000 viewers or so too, so I can't really blame Adam for messing up there, I see many other developers that are streaming at Gamescom keep messing up - many of them having bug issues rather than "skill" issues. I really liked the taste I got of the game - the art is beautiful, the combat looks fun and I enjoyed the deeper look at character creation. 

If I have to point a finger at anything it's just small details like what some NPC's are saying are hard to read because of the background:

DMmBYnb.jpg

I'm also used to be a bit more "zoomed out" than what we are in PoE, but I will get used to playing that way pretty fast.

Agreed. IE text was bold(er) and had a heavier black outline.

"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

I like the rogue blinking away, I can see myself abusing that ability to sneak attack and then blink away. Hope that doesn't draw aggro though.

Edit: Are there traps in the game? If it does draw aggro, you blink back to where you laid your traps and watch the enemies perish. :yes:

Edited by I Roll 20

To me it armor models look mostly fine, although I think that chain mail on female aumaua descent fire godlike is probably scaled one or two numbers too big where plate armor is scaled one or two numbers too small. As in my understanding Obsidian didn't make different equipment models for every race and sized characters, but instead they use algorithm that automatically scales equipment models to fit for different sized characters. So I would guess that they haven't yet fine tuned every piece of equipment for all the character models, which can make some pieces of equipment look bit out of proportion on some character models. But I would hold your judgement towards equipment proportions until you see them on human models (which I think are models that artists probably used to model those equipments), and if they look fine on them, but not on some other race then I would say that problem is with scaling and not with models themselves. 

• Like 1

DMmBYnb.jpg

Agreed. IE text was bold(er) and had a heavier black outline.

I hate to be Mr. Debunker but here is the same picture at full resolution.

ibsx2msTYgQVxx.png

I won't deny it is still blurry, but it is just easier to read.  At least as easy as BG2 was, and there is still the question of artifacting and quality loss due to the stream.  We need to see it in game before we make judgements about how clear it really is.

• Like 3

Question: does the floating text also appear in the combat log window?

Because that's how the IE games did it.

Conversations do, but, to be completely honest, I can't remember if barks show up in the log. I will check once I get to work this morning.

• Like 2

Question: does the floating text also appear in the combat log window?

Because that's how the IE games did it.

Conversations do, but, to be completely honest, I can't remember if barks show up in the log. I will check once I get to work this morning.

Bolder texts or outlines would help make it easier to read. My eyesight is crap and I can barely see the text in the barks. Maybe change it to more of a yellow color or something, I don't know.

• Like 3

Well, it looks like I missed the party entirely.  ;(

I'll make a serious attempt to rise at 5:30 am tomorrow to see the second installment.  Not sure I'll succeed, but I'll definitely try.

Honestly, I can't wait until next Monday.  I see myself spending days (probably weeks) making dozens of characters and taking them for a spin.  I'll try all the classes and some of the races -- may try a male character as well.   Do you only play your own gender?   Just curious. 

Sunday evening will feel like Christmas Eve when I was a kid and still believed in Santa Claus.  :)  Thank you Obsidian!!!

You check the forums BEFORE you go to work? Jesus, dude, you're in line for a ****ing pay rise.

• Like 2

Won't have too much to say before I get my hands on it on Monday but I will say that the general feel and look of it while watching is very positive. I feel the game is right where it should be.

All this nit picking at boobs and sheit is just that; nit picking. Give it a rest.

And I also feel very sorry for Adam. He looked quite stressed out during those battles.

• Like 1

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Not that I personally care about graphics but I do wonder if Obsidian set themselves up for uneeded critique by using the models in that way.

It's almost like half paper doll half want to be nice 3D looking rotatable character.(except it's not high rez at all)

I personally can't tell if that Aumaua is a regular person wearing a mask or what. Seems like his arms shouldn't be standard human/white....shouldn't they match his facial colors?

If the idea is that only the face is fishlike then....wut? Maybe would have been a better direction to not showcase low rez models like that.

• Like 1

Not that I personally care about graphics but I do wonder if Obsidian set themselves up for uneeded critique by using the models in that way.

It's almost like half paper doll half want to be nice 3D looking rotatable character.(except it's not high rez at all)

I personally can't tell if that Aumaua is a regular person wearing a mask or what. Seems like his arms shouldn't be standard human/white....shouldn't they match his facial colors?

If the idea is that only the face is fishlike then....wut? Maybe would have been a better direction to not showcase low rez models like that.

When it comes to the aumaua skin, I absolutely agree. Really odd seeing non-blue arms on a blue aumaua. 

However, I do like the overall look of the aumaua quite a lot. I'm probably going to play an aumaua on my first playthrough. 

• Like 1

Not at all, SqueakyCat! You're just a bit late, that's all. :yes:

http://www.twitch.tv...tch/b/557643505 It starts at 1:04:36.

Thanks, Indira!  I was more than a little late.  :(  I read the entire thread, and it looked like everyone had a great time watching the live feed!  Poor Adam.  Two party wipes.  :(  The game looks amazing to play, and I'm so glad they kept the difficulty at a good level.  I'm sure I'll have my share of party wipes while I'm getting used to the system, but, to me, that's all part of the fun!!

Hope to get up tomorrow morning to enjoy the live feed with everyone.  :)