[Possible Spoilers] Pillars of Eternity will be livestreamed at Gamescom

Something to note is that the quest tab has three header: quests ,tasks and The Watcher Of Dyrwood. The last one could be for the main quest.

zfm6y3M.jpg

Not a fan of the CAPS LOCK CANCER on the headers, especially as it clashes with the title case of the tier 1 menu buttons.

It can be used for highlighting titles when they are otherwise hard to discern, but in this case they're already padded with a dark box, it's not really necessary to further highlight them here. 

I also assume they will be clickable (to minimize Quests when you're not interested to make Tasks easier to see without scrolling and vice versa), I'd suggest making sure you have a global theme for clickable "button" elements, not saying all buttons have to be identical, but maybe all of them could have, say, a similar border.

Edited by mstark
  • Like 5
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

Umm... Well, I don't know about unrealistically large breasts that are as huge as footballs, but I'm willing to give it benefit of the doubt even though they are unrealistically large

Don't please force me to find video on sport bras <_< Please, just trust me on that boobs are malleable. They are made out of fat after all

In the chain mail armor, the female model used looks like it's been modeled wearing a "push up bra", they would be hanging way lower on the chest normally. To flatten those for the plate armor, you'd have to press them down lower into the armor - there is no room, because the plate hugs the figure tightly and is thinner.

Yeah that is what I was thinking.

"If this is easy against a bunch of mook beatles you can kiss a solo playthrough goodbye."

See, this is one of the reasons why I'm having trouble containing my excitement! Say what you want about the value of nostalgia, but it totally dictates perception.

I just watched this video. Just saw Adam's party get wiped. And while he was fighting, the only thing that was running through my mind was memories of IWD's and BG's tough battles, and all the strategies I used to use to get through the nastier encounters in those games. As it stands, even though I've never played PoE, I STILL immediately saw all the fundamental mistakes Adam was making. He had a party of 5 but never once employed focus fire. His mage had Fireball - AND - the enemy was clustered together at a distance....but he never cast it! He let his party get surrounded, over and over. I did not see his rogue use a single activated rogue skill. Nor his fighter using the knockdown ability.

These are the same kinds of mistakes that will cause total party wipes in the IE games.

God Damn, I can't wait to get my hands on the beta! And after I play it a few dozen times, I will PROVE it can be soloed on any difficulty.

Now this is dedication! You can pave the way for others that wish to try this daunting task out! :)

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

It looked like auto attack is not turned on. I saw a few of Adam's characters literally standing there doing nothing not attacking enemies a few times.

In the IE games this would happen to the PC characters if they were not assigned a script (until they were attacked, I believe). NPCs with "AI mode" turned on always attacked the nearest enemy.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

It looked like auto attack is not turned on. I saw a few of Adam's characters literally standing there doing nothing not attacking enemies a few times.

In the IE games this would happen to the PC characters if they were not assigned a script (until they were attacked, I believe). NPCs with "AI mode" turned on always attacked the nearest enemy.

Oh yeah, that happened quite a lot. Though I don't think that's due to lack of auto-attack, I think it's lack of AI. Unless the characters were given orders they did nothing, and Adam often forgot to play all his characters. 

• Like 1

Not a fan of the CAPS LOCK CANCER on the headers, especially as it clashes with the title case of the tier 1 menu buttons.

Agreed.

The Watcher of the Dyrwood is likely the Act (Act 2 I would say), and all caps on that just looks silly.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Well the models are noticeably meant for zoomed out/iso perspective. I'd keep them the same for the menus too, but it doesn't really bother me that much as it seems to other people.

The areas look great I think. I was a bit afraid they'd be sort of "sterile" after what was shown until now (stuff placed in a scene), but my fears are alleviated. That nostalgia feeling :) .

What bothered me was more of the vfx/animation stuff. "Throwing" magic missiles with a hand and then they come out of the center of the character instead, etc. And I might be missing some indicator, but it's hard to tell if a character is attacking and waiting for the reuse or not attacking at all. Also it still happened one time that a character wanted to go through another one to reach an enemy and got stuck in the process.

Umm... Well, I don't know about unrealistically large breasts that are as huge as footballs, but I'm willing to give it benefit of the doubt even though they are unrealistically large

Don't please force me to find video on sport bras <_< Please, just trust me on that boobs are malleable. They are made out of fat after all

In the chain mail armor, the female model used looks like it's been modeled wearing a "push up bra", they would be hanging way lower on the chest normally. To flatten those for the plate armor, you'd have to press them down lower into the armor - there is no room, because the plate hugs the figure tightly and is thinner.

Thats the thing I'm being actually confused about and which is why I'm hesitant to post the sport bra education video

I mean, I know that large breasts can be made to look "flat" and average sized breasts can be made to look "large" but...

Those breasts are huge and shaped like that even with chainmail on. Chainmail should definitely(unless I'm horribly wrong about weight of chainmail) flatten them somewhat, but it doesn't on the model so... The fact that they don't mean that either those breasts don't follow laws of physics or they would be impossible to flatten even with sport bra which does beg the question of how they fit the plate mail.

Edited by BrokenMask

It saddens me that we have just been shown something as unique and awesome as an ingame-implementation of an evolving monster manual(!!!), yet the focus of the discussion is about friggin boobs on the 3in tall female avatars.

• Like 10

It saddens me that we have just been shown something as unique and awesome as an ingame-implementation of an evolving monster manual(!!!), yet the focus of the discussion is about friggin boobs on the 3in tall female avatars.

Of course, boobs are what the life is about

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure this game isn't first game to have bestiary, even of the "evolving" variety, but it is awesome feature.

• Like 2

Those are totally "natural" unnatural sized breasts with "natural" unnatural shape. Since they are so darn huge, I don't know if same rules apply to them as what rules apply to real breasts <_<

I'm afraid that the Brigandine has the same issue as the plate, it certainly looks like it on the orlan female character.

BTW I see they fixed the bug with Constant Recovery. Nice to see some weapons having a proper combat stance, although I'm waiting for the low guard / shield held to the side to be fixed up and more combat fidgets/higher fidget rate to be added in eventually.

Those are totally "natural" unnatural sized breasts with "natural" unnatural shape. Since they are so darn huge, I don't know if same rules apply to them as what rules apply to real breasts <_<

I'm afraid that the Brigandine has the same issue as the plate, it certainly looks like it on the orlan female character.

BTW I see they fixed the bug with Constant Recovery. Nice to see some weapons having a proper combat stance, although I'm waiting for the low guard / shield held to the side to be fixed up and more combat fidgets/higher fidget rate to be added in eventually.

Dang it, you replied to my post before I edited it to make sense D: I realized I was explaining myself really badly so I deleted most of it and said it in shorter way that makes more sense

The monster book is just fantastic because it gives you the unmentioned task to complete it and get 100% knowledge of all creatures. I wonder if human or human-like creatures will be also in the manual like "bandit" "cultist" and such stuff. I also wonder about "boss monster" (if they even exist) get an entry in the book and if you can complete one entry if it is just a big monster which appears one time in the game, like a big dragon for example. Mabye you need one character in the group with a high enough skill for that.

Very interesting stuff!

• Like 3

Since when has the internet been a place where people argue about important things?

• Like 2

Perhaps all posts about that can be pruned out and placed in a special topic?

Why? They're relevant to the topic. I'm raising an inconsistency about the character modelling. I'm not crying out for manga boobs, or boob plate.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Sensuki: Granted, but to me, it's like picking out a weirdly lit crevice in the basement of Norman Bates' mother in a thread about Psycho.

I reckon there are a gazillion more exciting stuff to discuss after that stream than that, but go ahead, be my guest. :)

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Well it was like the first wrong thing I noticed since it was in the character creation. I've mentioned a few more things since, but since people kept challenging my view, I focused on that more than anything.

Edited by Sensuki

Most things looked great in the demo, but a couple of things bothered me. Unfortunately these things look to be fundamental parts of the game's design and will unlikely be tweaked.

- The environment adheres too much to an isometric grid. Notably how most buildings and structures are set at 45 degrees, with very little variation. I noticed this in the beginning of the game too. The inn in particular looked like something constructed out of tiles straight from Shadowrun Returns. I've just been playing Planescape Torment and the structures and maps in that game really leverage the prerendered background technique - lots of interesting shaped rooms and dungeons that NEVER looked tiled.

- The background looks like it's scaled too large for the size of characters. The smaller statured characters almost got lost in all that long grass and the rocks lying about all look oversized in relation to characters. The inn was also far too spacious to look comfortable.

- The time between swings/attacks is WAY too long. It makes each battle look like a bunch of guys standing around occassionally remembering to attack.

• Like 1