Monsters; are there a huge variety?

I agree. The only thing I really liked about DA:O's combat was the bloody, visceral feel of it. The decaptiations; Being able to thrust your sword into an opponent's stomach and then pull it out as they fall to the ground. Blood on combatants faces and armor that lingers after the battle; unique finishing moves on bosses.... etc.

Me too. I was drawn in by their promised maturity in that regard. Unfortunately, their execution was often lacking. Glaring blood spatter everywhere looked weird and it got old fast.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Unlike Dragon Age, where all you have to do is just hit the attack button, all these encounters require a different approach, so can we expect the same with Pillars of Eternity?

Do you mean Dragon Age 2? DA:O had some of the best combat I've ever experienced in a single player RPG.

I don't intend to insult but you must have experienced very little if DA:O is in your opinion one of the best. Certainly one of the most imbalanced.

Well, that depends on whether you choose to abuse mages <_< Seriously, just two specific spells and mages are already over powered. Mana clash kills everything that uses magic and freeze cone helps to wipe out the rest. Plus arcane warrior specialization makes mage into warrior mage meaning that they don't really have any weaknesses anymore after that...

Heh! That looks like a few plastic ones I have. Is it really metal? If I get the time, I'll post a pic of mine.

Stop talking about your metal D20 before you make me go buy a set of those dwarf dice!!!

I've got one of the "red granite" (for lack of a better description) ones ... they're really nice.

Expensive though :( ... so the majority of my dice are just from those "here, have a pound of dice" bags.

• Like 1

I've got one of the "red granite" (for lack of a better description) ones ... they're really nice.

Expensive though :( ... so the majority of my dice are just from those "here, have a pound of dice" bags.

Actually this thread made me really sad yesterday.  People posting pics of their old dice inspired me to maybe dig my old dice out and see how some of them had held up.  Bear in mind I literally owned like 200 dollars of dice.  Dozens of sets, tons from old random 2nd edition dice packs, all sorts of stuff.  I even have like 4 sets of Dragon Dice from that very fun but very short lived game.

The story is sad because.... I could not find my dice bag.  ;(

Actually this thread made me really sad yesterday.  People posting pics of their old dice inspired me to maybe dig my old dice out and see how some of them had held up.  Bear in mind I literally owned like 200 dollars of dice.  Dozens of sets, tons from old random 2nd edition dice packs, all sorts of stuff.  I even have like 4 sets of Dragon Dice from that very fun but very short lived game.

The story is sad because.... I could not find my dice bag.  ;(

Sounds like you should've spent those ranks in search, doesn't it ;)

• Like 1

Now that most of you had a chance to play the game, care to share the creatures you have faced? What are they like? Do the have special attacks? Was there a drake in the beta? Anything besides the beetles and the ogre of course.

Edited by I Roll 20

The bestiary itself is going to be massive. The beta is just 2 medium sized wilderness maps but there were many, many different types of enemies

1) Lions

2) Boars

3) Stone beetles

4) Wood Beetles

5) Spiderlings

6) Spiders

7) Widowmaker spiders

8.) Crystal Spiders (Erroneous name, but it was a giant white spider with a petrification/freeze attack)

9) Dragonlings (baby drakes)

10) Shades

11) Ogre

12) Wolves

And of course, enemy humanoids of various types like cultists, druids, members of disputing rogue factions

And I'm sure I'm missing a few here. Yes, almost all of them have some sort of special attacks whether it be knockdowns (most of the animal types have that) or poison, or fear spells, or hobble, daze, other spell effects etc.

• Like 2

Are there any monsters that are immune to certain type of weapons, eg. golems immune to blunt. There was one golem that is immune to slashing in BG too, maybe it's a clay golem. So is PoE similar?

Yes, but I think it's a bug. I can't remember which encounter it happened in, but some animal I fought (either a boar or a lion) was not taking any damage from my fighter's greatsword (slashing damage) The combat log kept saying BB_Fighter grazes Boar for .8 damage. then 2 damage, then 00.00 damage etc), but on the other hand, my mage ( my MAGE!) was nailing this animal for 50-60 damage with his rifle.

That gave me a chuckle

"Unlike Dragon Age, where all you have to do is just hit the attack button,"

Actually, you described BG more than DA. that's all fighters could do in BG (at least until TOB). In DA, you had LOT of options. Bg's combat is a lot more simple than DA combat overall. BG is  about equal to DA.

Stun, i cna't tell you if you are being serious or sarcastic...

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Are there any monsters that are immune to certain type of weapons, eg. golems immune to blunt. There was one golem that is immune to slashing in BG too, maybe it's a clay golem. So is PoE similar?

Yes, but I think it's a bug. I can't remember which encounter it happened in, but some animal I fought (either a boar or a lion) was not taking any damage from my fighter's greatsword (slashing damage) The combat log kept saying BB_Fighter grazes Boar for .8 damage. then 2 damage, then 00.00 damage etc), but on the other hand, my mage ( my MAGE!) was nailing this animal for 50-60 damage with his rifle.

That gave me a chuckle

Don't forget zombies.  I believe in one of the preview videos there were a bunch of shambling humanoid corpse looking things.  I would assume that would also mean there will be things like mummies etc

Check you pocket Karkarov!

I got back to this thread this morning so I took your advise.  All I found when I checked my pocket though was this crappy ring.  Every time I put it on it gives me a headache and I get the overwhelming feeling someone is watching me.  Not gonna wear this thing anymore I tell you.

• Like 1

1) Lions

2) Boars

3) Stone beetles

4) Wood Beetles

5) Spiderlings

6) Spiders

7) Widowmaker spiders

8.) Crystal Spiders (Erroneous name, but it was a giant white spider with a petrification/freeze attack)

9) Dragonlings (baby drakes)

10) Shades

11) Ogre

12) Wolves

Forest shamblers

Spider queen

Between the beetles and the spiders, the beta does have a lot of bugs...

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Guest Madolite

Dark Souls is another game that gives a LOT of problems to the unsuspecting player, and I love Dark Souls. I guess I'm just not the kind of player who wants to be able to suspect and succeed without any failure in every single encounter in the game.  :yes: (Not implying that you guys do either, though.)

My point is that I want the monster variety to be solid and immersive (monsters are, after all, a major part of the metastory narrative of a game), I want monsters to force me to figure them out, and I don't mind dying a few times in the process (as long as it doesn't happen ALL the time or that it happens randomly with no possibility of overcoming it skill-wise).

Edited by Madolite
  • Like 1

Dark Souls is another game that gives a LOT of problems to the unsuspecting player, and I love Dark Souls. I guess I'm just not the kind of player who wants to be able to suspect and succeed without any failure in every single encounter in the game.  :yes: (Not implying that you guys do either, though.)

My point is that I want the monster variety to be solid and immersive (monsters are, after all, a major part of the metastory narrative of a game), I want monsters to force me to figure them out, and I don't mind dying a few times in the process (as long as it doesn't happen ALL the time or that it happens randomly with no possibility of overcoming it skill-wise).

Monster variety in itself and also in regards to their abilities and resistances is something that all players likely want. With the exception of those who are in it only for the story.

I hope monsters have a varieties of attacks so players need to the best tactics that suit them.

For example, maybe one hill giant prefers throwing boulders, another prefers grappling, while the other prefer smashing the tiny foes in close combats.  Lions may maul, boars may charge/trample, etc.

Also large creatures could have "awesome blow" feat, fear (or a lesser version) radius and such to make them unique rather than just another monster that deals damages.

Edited by sorrowofwind