Monsters; are there a huge variety?

I just joined. I couldn't resist. I've been looking at this game for the past few months and I, being a fan of the Infinity Engine, I just love what you've shown me. However, I'd like to know more about encounters and almost every interviews(there was one that lasted 8 pages and didn't ask the this burning question that I have) or gameplay demos, dpn't speak about the variety of monsters that we will encounter. One of the best things about BG(and Icewind Dale) is the variety or enemies you'll encounter. Till this day I remember my first encounter with a basilisk. They can kill you in just a round. Then there are beholders, ilithids, level draining vampires and we're not even speaking of boss encounters like Kangaxx yet. Unlike Dragon Age, where all you have to do is just hit the attack button, all these encounters require a different approach, so can we expect the same with Pillars of Eternity?

• Like 1

I just joined. I couldn't resist. I've been looking at this game for the past few months and I, being a fan of the Infinity Engine, I just love what you've shown me. However, I'd like to know more about encounters and almost every interviews(there was one that lasted 8 pages and didn't ask the this burning question that I have) or gameplay demos, dpn't speak about the variety of monsters that we will encounter. One of the best things about BG(and Icewind Dale) is the variety or enemies you'll encounter. Till this day I remember my first encounter with a basilisk. They can kill you in just a round. Then there are beholders, ilithids, level draining vampires and we're not even speaking of boss encounters like Kangaxx yet. Unlike Dragon Age, where all you have to do is just hit the attack button, all these encounters require a different approach, so can we expect the same with Pillars of Eternity?

Yes. Hit the attack button, you more or less always win and there are only about three enemy variations in the game. Though there are also 100 different colour variations of each of the three monsters. So you'll feel just fine about it. 

To more seriously answer your question, I don't believe we have a number on amount of monsters in the game, but I do know that each monster will be really rather unique and feature interesting abilities that require a varied tactical approach to them. I think the team is more interested in monster quality than monster quantity, to be honest, and if you go back and read the updates, I feel as though they've hit great quality AND managed to introduce a rather large number of varied monsters. 

• Like 1

There will be a pretty strong variety.  From the tiny amount of released data already we have seen feral wolves, ogres, random glanfathans, wyvern like things, spiders, werewolf looking creatures, things that look like ettercaps, and I have the sneaking suspicion there will be a mushroom man hiding in there somewhere.

The fact that certain levels of the game ships with a "Monsters Manual" is pretty telling.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 2

A big bestiary was one of the project goals. They've shown us a bunch already, and I'm sure there will be more. Just how big it is we don't know yet and probably won't until release, as they're likely to keep some stuff under wraps until then.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Yeah. A huge and varied bestiary is a must, and I have high hopes for the one present in vanilla PoE - surely, it will be expanded upon in...*drumroll* the expansion.

I Roll 20: A very accurate description of combat in DA:O there. :)

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Presumably, yes.

From the videos and stuff, looks like there's gonna be an awesome / deep storyline (as with BG), with the same need for finesse that you needed in IWD (I found BG to require less tactical decisions for some reason).

However, this isn't a Wizards / Hasbro IP game, so the monsters that we're gonna face may or may not coincide with what we've grown accustomed to in other games.

the monsters that we're gonna face may or may not coincide with what we've grown accustomed to in other games.

And this is something I really look forward to - lots of new twists on nostalgic monsters, beasts and apparitions! :)

Is it just me who gets giddy over a member called "I Roll 20" having a convo with another member with a 20-sided die as an avatar?

Btw, I have a metallic d20 just like that, and it's in fantastic shape despite being extremely well used - and it's over 35 years of age! :geek:

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Unlike Dragon Age, where all you have to do is just hit the attack button, all these encounters require a different approach, so can we expect the same with Pillars of Eternity?

Do you mean Dragon Age 2? DA:O had some of the best combat I've ever experienced in a single player RPG.

the monsters that we're gonna face may or may not coincide with what we've grown accustomed to in other games.

And this is something I really look forward to - lots of new twists on nostalgic monsters, beasts and apparitions! :)

Should be good times -- I do hope though that they keep some of the tropes we're accustomed to (e.g. trolls need a "special" finishing blow to actually kill them)

Is it just me who gets giddy over a member called "I Roll 20" having a convo with another member with a 20-sided die as an avatar?

lol, I didn't even notice his name at first!

Edited by neo6874
  • Like 2

Billy O: I have no clue if you've played the IE games, but the combat in DA:O is extremely repetitive and easy, the darkspawn littering almost the entire game is the embodiment of that. I've done a couple of playthroughs on Hard, and it's a walk in the park compared to many of the good old CRPGs. It was still a pretty good game, though, but it had nothing to do with its combat difficulty. Once you got the hang of a few tricks, even dragons were pushovers. (I just hope this comment doesn't derail this great thread.)

• Like 2

Yes, repetitive is the word for DA:O combat, so bad that I didn't bother with DA2. That's my last post for today, I'm limited to just 5 only :(

You are not limited to 5 posts daily. New members have to have their first five posts approved by a moderator before the posts will appear to the public. After that you may post freely without approval.

• Like 2

Billy O: I have no clue if you've played the IE games, but the combat in DA:O is extremely repetitive and easy, the darkspawn littering almost the entire game is the embodiment of that. I've done a couple of playthroughs on Hard, and it's a walk in the park compared to many of the good old CRPGs. It was still a pretty good game, though, but it had nothing to do with its combat difficulty. Once you got the hang of a few tricks, even dragons were pushovers. (I just hope this comment doesn't derail this great thread.)

Agree to disagree I suppose. I'll grant you repetitive but the challenge was certainly there. Any encounter could kill you if mismanaged. And it was certainly not just press attack, you needed to tank, heal, focus fire, etc.

I have played some of the old IE games but not to completion just due to issues with the interface aging so poorly and they may have very well been more difficult than DA:O. I'm fine with more enemy variety/difficulty in encounters, I was just making the point that DA:O was in no way a button masher.

Nah, plastic. But it is from the original D&D Basic boxed set...

Nice! Unfortunately, I think the oldest die I've got is like 6 years or something, so it can hardly compare to the venerable status of the other dice in this thread. 

Similarly, I did find the enemy variety in something like DA:O to be a bit lacking, though they did have some great designs on occasion. I'm thinking of the ogres specifically. 

I was going to ask that person before you to roll for initiative because the thread is being derailed with everyone speaking about their dice.

Anyone has any pictures of creatures/monsters other those on Update 82?

There is a screenshot/image for most known creatures on the wiki.

• Like 1

Billy O: I have no clue if you've played the IE games, but the combat in DA:O is extremely repetitive and easy, the darkspawn littering almost the entire game is the embodiment of that.

I agree. The only thing I really liked about DA:O's combat was the bloody, visceral feel of it. The decaptiations; Being able to thrust your sword into an opponent's stomach and then pull it out as they fall to the ground. Blood on combatants faces and armor that lingers after the battle; unique finishing moves on bosses.... etc.

But everything else was so very mundane - as it must be when you impose such a limited system where there's only 3 classes, a pitifully limited list of weapon and spell choices and a ridiculously small, unimaginative bestiary.

PoE is going to blow DA:O away completely on the combat front.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

Heh! That looks like a few plastic ones I have. Is it really metal? If I get the time, I'll post a pic of mine.

Stop talking about your metal D20 before you make me go buy a set of those dwarf dice!!!

• Like 3

Unlike Dragon Age, where all you have to do is just hit the attack button, all these encounters require a different approach, so can we expect the same with Pillars of Eternity?

Do you mean Dragon Age 2? DA:O had some of the best combat I've ever experienced in a single player RPG.

I don't intend to insult but you must have experienced very little if DA:O is in your opinion one of the best. Certainly one of the most imbalanced.