Just a thought on models

I've been looking at most of the upcoming games coming up in kick starter and I have already bought Pillars and backed it of course and while I thought the game play and characters looked fine, I'm left wondering could they have done a bit more to the models and anatomy or the characters. Now this wouldn't need to be a complete overhaul just minor details like the characters Look sometimes a bit stiff on the way they stand.One of the only thing I can give an example and this company yes huge as they may be and successful have the most beautiful 3D characters for this 2D isometric view which is Valve and dota 2.

sorry for the lack of grammar ect I'm not to good with writing my thoughts down.

but if you play dota 2 and just look at the stances and the animations and the use of color and anatomy it looks very pleasing to the eye.

post-50909-0-18765800-1407803012_thumb.png

It's probably to late now and I wouldn't want them to pros-pone the game now for it but just a thought for the future If you have the chance cehck out divine divinity and the character models similar in the way of the glossy ness and some of the details, and it was a kickstarter as well that funded less. 

It's probably to late now and I wouldn't want them to pros-pone the game now for it but just a thought for the future If you have the chance cehck out divine divinity and the character models similar in the way of the glossy ness and some of the details, and it was a kickstarter as well that funded less. 

Original Sin funded less but was made for a few hundred thousand more than Eternity. No way a game that good is made for $890k.

• Like 1

Original Sin funded less but was made for a few hundred thousand more than Eternity. No way a game that good is made for $890k.
Also, if you check out the Kickstarter video for D:OS, you can see that they already had entered production and had a working engine and a lot of assets. When the PoE Kickstarter launched, Obsidian had an idea of what they wanted to make, but they had not really entered preproduction yet.

D:OS was Kickstarted for polish and more features, PoE Kickstarter was for the whole thing (admittedly PoE picked up additional funding along the way, but I assume D:OS did as well).

But. to get back on topic, of course I wouldn't mind if the models animations were better, but I'll live if they aren't.

Edited by Night Stalker
  • Like 3

gotta remember guys, we're watching late alpha releases in the gameplay videos. There's little (if any) polish to a lot of the things (I mean, watch when the guy explodes on the tiles -- you can still see the edges of the fire animation frame).

Dota 2 characters have the advantage that the game has zero significant shadows. All those extra details are painted on because the texture artist can just paint the shadows and highlights in. PoE doesn't have that advantage - if you'd do that in PoE you'd get double shadows everywhere and it would look messed up, as if the engine was bugging out. A huge immersion breaker.

• Like 1

I believe they've stated that the budget for Original Sin was at least $5 million. 

Also, see TrueNeutral's comment about shadows. Very important stuff. 

• Like 1