To Devs how much content can we expect in Beta?

When they go Early Access (which I'm sure they will) I assume it will be different from backer beta. Wonder how that is going to work out in terms of spoilers. 

They've been pretty ambivalent about EA in their public statements. I'm betting they won't do it. If they're releasing by the end of the year, there isn't even all that much time for it.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I'm finding myself glad that the beta was included in my backer package, and not something I spent $25 extra to obtain. Four side quests seems more like a $5 - $10 value, at most.

Edited by Marceror

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

For myself, I agree that this really isn't much of a beta -- more of a demo -- given the limited scope.

While I understand that there are a fair number of backers who don't want to spoil the experience of playing the game in its full glory, I don't see any reason that they can't release two products:

1) The version that they are already planning on releasing

2) The game in its entirety (or excluding all but, say, the last 10%)

The amount of extra work on the part of the developers to maintain the two version would be nearly nil, as they have to maintain a "full version" beta for internal testing.  It seems to me that this would make everyone happy, right? :)

That's fine. But really, if you don't want to be spoiled don't play it.

That's fine, as well. But, really, if you don't want a beta with only four quests in it, don't spend $25 based on nebulous expectations.

I mean, if they were charging $3,000 for the beta, would we just assume that we must be getting a bunch of Obsidian stock along with it or something? Or a real-life, fully functional grimoire?

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

So, right now we know precisely nothing about:

a) How long the beta will run

b) How content will change over the (quite possibly) 4+ months of the beta

So many assumptions being made. So likely to be wrong.

In the absence of detailed information, what else do we have beside our assumptions? ;)

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

That's fine. But really, if you don't want to be spoiled don't play it.

That's fine, as well. But, really, if you don't want a beta with only four quests in it, don't spend $25 based on nebulous expectations.

I mean, if they were charging $3,000 for the beta, would we just assume that we must be getting a bunch of Obsidian stock along with it or something? Or a real-life, fully functional grimoire?

The word beta comes with baggage in the industry. PC gamers, even the most skeptical, aren't generally going to expect a 25 dollar cRPG beta to be the length of a free demo. 

Higher tiers pretty much spelled out what was in them, so I get what you're saying despite it being a terrible comparison.

As far as spoilers I get why a developer would want to keep them on lock but it would be relatively easy to avoid as a backer. Game of Thrones this is not. 

Another worry is a game with almost as many maps as BG2, that is sporting extreme difficulty and Iron man modes, where a killer bug/crash can tank a playthrough will see sufficient QA to catch most things on a such lowish budget/time-frame (especially looking at NWN2). 

Edited by PIP-Clownboy

The word beta comes with baggage in the industry. PC gamers, even the most skeptical, aren't generally going to expect a 25 dollar cRPG beta to be the length of a free demo. 

Higher tiers pretty much spelled out what was in them, so I get what you're saying despite it being a terrible comparison.

All the baggage in the world doesn't change the fact that betas come in all shapes and sizes. Or the fact that, if you decide to spend your money on an assumption, you already know you might not be correct about what you think you're getting for your money.

I realize that the tiers made it quite clear what was in them... I was talking about what you're getting with beta access, specifically (the topic of this entire thread), not "what all items are included in your tier pledge." So, I don't think you got what I was saying, and the comparison's terribleness is now suspect. :)

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

All the baggage in the world doesn't change the fact that betas come in all shapes and sizes. Or the fact that, if you decide to spend your money on an assumption, you already know you might not be correct about what you think you're getting for your money.

I realize that the tiers made it quite clear what was in them... I was talking about what you're getting with beta access, specifically (the topic of this entire thread), not "what all items are included in your tier pledge." So, I don't think you got what I was saying, and the comparison's terribleness is now suspect. :)

Yeah, the larger shapes and sizes the majority of the time at that price point these days. Would have bought in regardless, personally. 

Then again, Early Access wasn't nearly as prevalent in the past that could be factor as well. 

But not enough to spend 25 (more) dollar on when you're not very wealthy.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Geez, thank you for reminding me of that :(

Seriously, I'm bit in denial about whether I regret my decision to get the key before I learned size of beta or not xP

You'll find out. No point regretting it now anyway.

Also, Mr. Sawyer did say that there is a dungeon underneath the town itself, so it's possible it's in the beta.

I was really on the fence as to whether I buy the beta access or not, but after seeing gameplay, I jumped right in. I am looking forward to testing the game and providing feedback, because I want this game to be the perfect Isometric RPG of this generation. I hope it kicks BG in the crotch :p even tho I sinked many, many hours into it and consider it to be a gem of a game.

I fear there won't be enough cash to make a full custom party to test stuff. Like testing how feasible it is to run around with 6 paladins having all auras simultaneously. Or playing around with 6 rangers and their animal companions. Or having some party that is more original than having a class 6 times.

I fear there won't be enough cash to make a full custom party to test stuff. Like testing how feasible it is to run around with 6 paladins having all auras simultaneously. Or playing around with 6 rangers and their animal companions. Or having some party that is more original than having a class 6 times.

wait, can we now create a party from the start?

You get some pre-assigned character at begin of the beta, but you can hire more adventurers at the inn and replace the old ones. At least, if you have enough money for that.

You get some pre-assigned character at begin of the beta, but you can hire more adventurers at the inn and replace the old ones. At least, if you have enough money for that.

Exactly. The video shown at gamescom showed that hiring an adventurer costs 1000 gold / level and i think the starting gold was below 2000 as well as the quest reward being less than 1000, although someone more dedicated could check that. On the other hand, we don't know if you can simply 'sell' the companions you have for their hiring price, so there is no way to tell how flexible we will be in creating parties.

The party you get consists of a dwarfen fighter, orlan rogue, elven priestess and a human wizard at lvl 5, if I am not mistaken, so basically the core four. You have free choice in your main character, but I'd be interested in knowing whether you can construct a party of, for example a monk, cipher, druid, ranger and chanter. In particular, the inn showed only the possibility to hire characters up to lvl 4.

I mean, if we are to test the mechanics, we should probably be able to play as any subset of the 11 classes.

Edited by Doppelschwert

I was really on the fence as to whether I buy the beta access or not, but after seeing gameplay, I jumped right in. I am looking forward to testing the game and providing feedback, because I want this game to be the perfect Isometric RPG of this generation. I hope it kicks BG in the crotch :p even tho I sinked many, many hours into it and consider it to be a gem of a game.

Yep, same here. I'm also a backer of several other RPGs and PoE really looks like the best of the bunch, IMO. They flat-out scored all the nostalgia points for BG and IWD. It looks really sharp to me and just has the whole kind of feel/aesthetic that makes me happy. 

As a tester I just want to offer any feedback I can that will help it become even better than the classic Infinity Engine games.

Also many younger players out there have really been bashing the graphics etc. which kinda makes me worried about its future potential on Steam as a top seller. I want to show my support for these games. (and less support for the crap out there!)

I'd pay more than $3000 for that. (well, depending on what spells are in it, of course)

But can you imagine? Owning an actual, working, real life Wizard Grimoire? I'd show it off to my friends, and enjoy every minute of their jealousy. I'd Grimoire Slam my neighbor's P.O.S. Dog. I'd carry it around at work just to listen to what people would say. I'd constantly be casting all the per-encounter spells in front of crowds of people as they watch in awe.

Me: "hey, babe, wanna see something cool?"

Observer: "What? That stupid oversized book you've been carrying around all week?"

Me: Sorta.... ::::casts Minoletta's Bounding Missiles::::

Observer: "Yikes! what the hell was that?!"

Me: Pure Glory, baby. That's what you just saw.

::::walks away smugly as witnesses stand in stunned silence::::

And I'd make that $3000 right back and then some. I'd charge people who want to see demonstrations.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 4

What I've gathered from the Gamescom demoes is that everything in them is in the backer beta. I seem to remember Sawyer saying the backer beta consists of 3-5 hours of gameplay and includes two wilderness areas, plus 2 or 3 other areas(Including Dyford Village, I think).

The two wilderness areas are Stonewall Gorge and Dyrford Crossing:

KkSPvXI.png

• Like 2

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Geez, thank you for reminding me of that :(

Seriously, I'm bit in denial about whether I regret my decision to get the key before I learned size of beta or not xP

I have no regrets. I'd rather play the complete game unspoiled. I'm actually kind of ambivalent about watching anyone else playing it because I'm nervous there might be plot spoilers.

Way back in the day, I remember playing the demo for the original Fallout. It used one of the maps from Junktown, there was no music and it had a plot which had nothing whatsoever to do with the plot of the actual game. That's kinda what I'm hoping will be in this beta; dialogue and such changed so as not to spoil anything in the actual game, but all the mechanics in place so they can test them and get them working correctly.

Beta is 3-5 hours, 4 quests, 2 full dungeons 1 mini dungeons, 3 areas, 2 wilderness 1 town, lvl range is 5-8, it's only small as they basically want us to try out the classes/races etc and give them feedback on that.

Got all this info from many of the videos i've watched from gamescom so straight from Josh's mouth, as the gamescom demo is the backer beta, but only 4 classes have been shown in demos, barbarian/fighter/wizard and Paladin, although I cant find any video footage of the wizard demo.

They can always add to the Beta at any time, which is why they have gone with steam. 

Edited by axan22
  • Like 1