Will there be any humor in the game?

I remember watching parts of the Project Eternity Countdown and the question was asked, "Will there be humor in the game?"

Josh directly answered "No, there will not be humor in the game!"

Granted, he was being sarcastic and he immediately amended it by saying there will be humor. Someone should rewatch the entire 5 hour recording to find it again.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Personally, the only game that I would really say I found hilarious without breaking the mood was, despite its multitude of sins in other areas, DA:O. I thought the humour was dry and went with the world rather than against it, and it was timed so that it was appropriate light relief when little was going on.

Wait, super-serious with cringeworthy romances DA:O had humour? Tell me more... cause I seriously don't remember it, at all.

They might have tried with Shale, but it didn't quite hit the note...

Humor is hit or miss for many people. If the writers put in stuff they find funny then i'll simply appreciate the effort, whether i find it funny or not. I certanly won't expect laughs, but i won't mind a bit of effort if the setting calls for it.

I doubt it. They'd have to rewrite all the dialog everywhere, which would be an enormous amount of work. Given the constraints of the project, I'd be extremely surprised if it's in.

I dunno, though. I remember reading somewhere (or watching a video?) in which Josh commented heavily on their current dialogue-writing tools, and how amazingly great they are, and how much dialogue it allows them to easily write and keep track of (especially all the branching/consequences stuff). I mean, looking at those few conversations in the recent demo, they all had more dialogue options per prompt than are commonly seen in a cRPG.

I wouldn't assume the opposite, but I definitely wouldn't assume it would be infeasible for them to write low-Intellect dialogue for a major portion of the game.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

It would be comparable to a localization in scope, I think. All of the PC's lines would have to be dumbified, and a significant number of NPC reactions would have to be added. I'm sure it would be technically doable, but it's a large feature and I would expect a somewhat low-priority one.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Wait, super-serious with cringeworthy romances DA:O had humour? Tell me more... cause I seriously don't remember it, at all.

They might have tried with Shale, but it didn't quite hit the note...

I was largely talking about the party interactions. As someone who went with Morrigan and Alistair for the most part, I can tell you that the interactions between the two were hilarious - the leading light of which being Alistair who's sarcasm and dry wit I found highly amusing.

That the seriousness of the main story was left unspoilt by this comedy is, in my view, to the comedy's credit and something that other rpgs can learn from. That the game had romances, cringey or otherwise, is utterly irrelevant to the point.

I wouldn't assume the opposite, but I definitely wouldn't assume it would be infeasible for them to write low-Intellect dialogue for a major portion of the game.

..maybe they could hire the Dragon Age and ME3 writers to do it. And tell them they want serious and intellectually challenging dialogue, that both entices the heart as well as grips the soul of the audience.

They'd have it done in three weeks, and it would sound exactly like what we're missing for the int:4 dialogue.

• Like 3

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!