Will there be any humor in the game?

Is it too late to raise $5K and create our own adventuring band made up of a troupe of failed bards, fools, and minstrels who spout terrible puns?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I agree with what others have said in that humour doesn't necessarily travel well. For that reason I wouldn't pursue humour in PoE to a great extent.

Although I liked Minsc and Edwin (and loved Xan, who is by far my favourite comedy character from the BG games), the humour in BG was often more of a "heh" variety than laugh out loud, and you have to be very careful that such things aren't spoiling the tone for little reward.

Personally, the only game that I would really say I found hilarious without breaking the mood was, despite its multitude of sins in other areas, DA:O. I thought the humour was dry and went with the world rather than against it, and it was timed so that it was appropriate light relief when little was going on.

• Like 2

I like the BG/IWD humor very much, it's very integrated into the plot and certain characters/quests. Maybe a little over the top sometimes,,,

Hmmm ... I think I either had a dream or read a loooong time ago, that they will tone the humor down a bit, and also keep it dry. I hope so. I'm getting too old for silly jokes in every sentence...

(That reminds me: I recently tried to play Divinity.OS, but I really didn't like it. I don't like turn based combat, I am having trouble with the controls, and ... Especially the humor - That can really ruin a game :blink: ).

UFWDJRj.jpg

If it is written well I feel there is always room for humor, even in the most serious of circumstance. In point of fact it would seem less real to me if humor was completely left out so I suspect that there will be some. Either through a smart Alec companion or through character dialog.

I'd say that the primary consideration is to avoid humour that breaks the fourth wall, or clearly references our world. Meaning, all jokes must make sense within the framework of the world. Witty comebacks, repartees, puns, oddball characters - sure, why not. References to, say, Terminator or World of Warcraft or the DotCom Bubble would be straight out, however...

All in all, I do hope that the game isn't completely dour, though. Levity matters and is sort of incremental to a well-developed setting, even.

• Like 2

Like Bryy said - humor is a part of life. Some people think getting your head lopped off is hilarious. It's in the eye of the beholder

No! Not that one! You want the second one on the left!

*mutters about the fool adventurer almost opening the beholder's disintegrate eye...*

• Like 1

No, everyone knows that Obsidian writers are humorless bastards that only order dry wheat bread and spinach at Subway.

This is a complete and utter lie. I have NEVER seen Eric order dry wheat bread from Subway.

• Like 5

Maybe one of the dispositions can just be [FacePalmWorthy]. 8)

"Why does your Druid friend scowl so much?"

"Oh, I think it's just in his... nature?"

*Person rolls Resolve check to resist the urge to punch you*

Also, I bet Brandon is secretly a superhero-by-night, who leaps across rooftops, scouring the city for literal humor. He has the precognitive ability to detect when someone's about to make a terrible pun, so he swoops in and uses his mental powers of confusion to prevent them from remembering how to even form a joke. The day is saved.

His name... The Addler! 8)

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 4

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Maybe one of the dispositions can just be [FacePalmWorthy]. 8)

"Why does your Druid friend scowl so much?"

"Oh, I think it's just in his... nature?"

*Person rolls Resolve check to resist the urge to punch you*

Also, I bet Brandon is secretly a superhero-by-night, who leaps across rooftops, scouring the city for literal humor. He has the precognitive ability to detect when someone's about to make a terrible pun, so he swoops in and uses his mental powers of confusion to prevent them from remembering how to even form a joke. The day is saved.

His name... The Addler! 8)

There should be a Questgiver in the game with the name Lord Addler who orders you to kill a vile punsmith named Le Phys for driving the people of the land crazy with his terrible pun-magic

• Like 2

That would be SO great!

"We got word that this town is suffering a horrendous blight! How may we be of service?"

"PLEASE, please! You've got to put an end to his dark sorcery! He keeps making all these crazy incantations, and they make me want to perform terrible acts! We are all bewitched we are! You must silence the dark wizard!"

Dark Wizard Le Phys - "Hey, it looks like a party just came into town! Why wasn't I invited?"

*Everyone in your party must roll a Willpower check*

By the way, Brandon... for your own good... NEVER play King's Quest VI. Every possible death you can succumb to in that game presents you with its own, unique, "game over" pun. And that's not even counting an entire island that's essentially made out of puns.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

our knee-jerk were to chuckle, but am wondering if obsidian would consider actual doing such a thing. after all, bloody mess were a fallout trait, yes?  given josh's weird notions o' funny and the belief that funny should be optional, perhaps one could make HaHa content available via a trait/talent.

HA! Good Fun!

My inference from the conversation that you seem to be referring to is that the things that Josh thought should be optional were things that could be said to 'break immersion', like a mode that makes everyone's heads larger than one might expect a head to be, or a mode that activates a lot of pop culture references like a corpse bearing fridge.

So is "Low intelligent = Can't speak full sentence" thing from Fallout in this game?

That should be amusing if it is

To add into what Junta said there is also one other hitch.  7 is the minimum stat in the game.  That assumes you pick a race with a minus 1 to int too, and such a race might not actually exist.  Assuming you have no int penalty the lowest you can have is 8 which is basically "average person" in Eternity speak.

• Like 1

I believe they said they may remove the minimum stat levels for the game properly, and maybe the beta, however.

Considering how the stats work in this game I am not sure that is actually a good idea.  This is the one game where dumping a stat might actually tank your character.  Imagine a 1 int barb?

I haven't heard anything about the low-intelligence dialogue options in a long while, but since I haven't heard anything to the contrary after they were confirmed by Tim Cain here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/327839 I am assuming Obsidian are still rolling with them. As for the prerequisites, tying them to intelligence isn't mandatory - they can also be implemented as an effect of one or more character traits/feats. That way your character could be an average Joe with 7-8 INT *and* the "mouth breather" trait, making him a person, who is physically and mentally capable of logical thought, but has willingly - or rather apathetically- developed as a complete idiot. If minimums get lowered or altogether removed, prerequisites could be low INT or trait. If the dialogue options exist, the rest could imo get worked out easily.

Nothing gold can stay.

I believe they said they may remove the minimum stat levels for the game properly, and maybe the beta, however.

Considering how the stats work in this game I am not sure that is actually a good idea.  This is the one game where dumping a stat might actually tank your character.  Imagine a 1 int barb?

You'd literally be severely mentally retarded.  I'm all for an IE-engine appropriate level of freedom here, but one can't expect to play as someone who shouldn't even be able to dress themselves in order to make oneself more muscular.

The comment I was referencing was one from Josh here on the forums where he said that the current stat limits were not necessarily fixed, and that they might review them later. That could mean removal, or may just mean less limitation.

• Like 1

I love your discussion, guys!

But quite cheekily, I'll play moderator for a sec, add the link to the forum where it belongs, only to see if it works:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66500-what-are-the-min-attributes-per-class/

A foru-sophical question: Where's the limit between nice topic branching in a thread and thread derailing? :)

EDIT: Wherever it is, I'm toing that line just by asking that question. Oops!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Personally, the only game that I would really say I found hilarious without breaking the mood was, despite its multitude of sins in other areas, DA:O. I thought the humour was dry and went with the world rather than against it, and it was timed so that it was appropriate light relief when little was going on.

Wait, super-serious with cringeworthy romances DA:O had humour? Tell me more... cause I seriously don't remember it, at all.

They might have tried with Shale, but it didn't quite hit the note...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee