Will there be any humor in the game?

Hello,

I wonder if there is going to be any humor in the game? I enjoyed South Park: Stick of truth, I know it is supposed to be "funny" all around but I still wish they would bring some humor in to this game also. Baldurs Gate's were great games, but as an older gamer I have noticed that humor is what I like about in games these days. That is why Borderlands 2 was such a great game for me :)

There already is. If you watch the gameplay demonstration video there's already a bit of dry humor in the dialogue such as Calisca's "I can't force you to have a personality" and the player response "I want to fall in love".

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 10

I recently replayed BG1, leisurely, taking my time to talk to every NPC everywhere, even stock NPCs. The humor is ubiquitous, there are many funny lines. Here's one from TotSC:

POrBwhR.png

...dog kickers! The scum of earth, they are! :skull::biggrin:

I expect to see many similar embedded pieces of humor in Eternity. Obsidian's previous work is proof that they're no less adept at juicing up text than BioWare.

• Like 8

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

No.  There will be no humor in Pillars of Eternity.  This game is serious business.

Please ignore the thread about Big Head Mode being included.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 12

Hello,

I wonder if there is going to be any humor in the game? I enjoyed South Park: Stick of truth, I know it is supposed to be "funny" all around but I still wish they would bring some humor in to this game also. Baldurs Gate's were great games, but as an older gamer I have noticed that humor is what I like about in games these days. That is why Borderlands 2 was such a great game for me :)

Borderlands and South Park were satires (BL2 more than 1). They set out to accomplish very different things than a serious RPG.

Eternity is most likely going to be along the lines of Baldur's Gate and Original Sin. Self-aware but still dramatic.

Humor is inevitable. It's a part of life. 

If it's truly a spiritual successor to the Infinity Games, then there should be humor. Characters like Minsc, Jan Jansen, Morte, Edwin. I can't imagine those games without a significant amount of humor.

josh didn't like bg game humor. he Really didn't like bg game humor. he likes big heads though.

humor doesn't travel well and seems to be highly personal. am all in favor o' there being humor in PoE, but is gonna be interesting to see how obsidian handles. gonna make a humor toggle for dialogues? that seems doubtful. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

i expect there to be a lot less "in your face" humor than in original sin, and more the kind of humor that works WITHIN the world itself

and of course one over the top and "crazy by definition" character - like morte in torment

• Like 2

I will appreciate dry humor too. I have noticed as I get older that I like to play games that are "self-aware" being ironic. Also I have enjoyed movies with that quality, lastly Guardians of the galaxy, it's a sci-fi -comedy -movie.

Kobold abuse.. That's just low man..

So you are ko-bold... but are you also... ko-daring? *eyebrow raise*

6_u

There will be skeletons in PoE, right? Somewhere? If so, I'd imagine that lopping off their arms would be pretty... humerus?

6_u

*resumes hammering away at his forge*

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

When i cast a fireball accidently clicking right in the middle of my own guys and burn them all alive that is funny ehehe.... But I think humor is pretty personal and i like dark and sarcastic humor that is pretty offensive at times uhuhuhu. So I hope the funny moments are raw and honest ... like... a skeleton with a clubfoot takes his clubfoot in his hand on perception, trys to chase you but falls down because his leg is in his hands hahahahaha. And then he takes the clubfoot and sticks it again on his pelvis but now he has no weapon so ....

oh... and i have a great female troll torture method for humans that is funny to me...but i dont think you want to hear that....

Edited by NWN_babaYaga

gonna make a humor toggle for dialogues? that seems doubtful.

Actually... *that* would be funny ;)
  • Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It should be a talent.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

It should be a talent.

our knee-jerk were to chuckle, but am wondering if obsidian would consider actual doing such a thing. after all, bloody mess were a fallout trait, yes?  given josh's weird notions o' funny and the belief that funny should be optional, perhaps one could make HaHa content available via a trait/talent.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

If I can't replace "charging up her loading romp" with a new one-liner Obsidian has failed...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Personally i'd like a few more Wilde-ish wordplays and verbal gymnastics, rather than the de rigeur squeeing humour, and perhaps a little less of the juvenile tee hee I said something naughty and (what a four year old would consider) clever. Most companions whom set out to provide witticisms usually make my teeth hurt with their constant attempts to make you like them, which is why I left Veronica in a ditch in Freeside with love and hate smashed into her skull repeatedly, Morte I liked however, as a sick, crude, and defiant sparring partner whom was also very useful.

Cass was also a pleasant travelling companion, and quite amusing.

Edit: The sparring with Gann was also a welcome touch of humour, quite self aware and deprecating as it was.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm really a fan of all types, in moderation. Often, though, in these games, it's either far too forced or overly done. Serious business, serious business, serious business... SUPER SILLY SOMETHING... serious business... serious business... It feels really unnatural like that.

It needs to be stitched into the rest of the fabric, not just hot-glued on in random spots (or in EVERY spot so long as a certain character is around).

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

With Chris Avellone on the writing team I'm bracing myself for a lock of **** jokes.

I'm expecting a level of humor on par with FO:NV, which I found to be pretty bleak and lacking in fun at times, but is also one of my favorite games ever. Not expecting too much along the lines of Portalbenderwinden or Melicamp the chicken.

• Like 1