Update #83: Backer Portal, Backer Beta, and Wasteland 2 Keys

People really need to stop acting like this is a pre-order where the money is just there to give back. They spent the money and the game is locked. You donated money. How selfish does it sound to want money you donated given back?

Selfish? Donated? Meybe if I would do this via Kickstarter then yes - but I've pledged my money via obsidian.net site and I've done this in exchange for very specific stuff:

1 Digital Download of Pillars of Eternity 35.00 35.00 1 Early Access Beta Key 25.00 25.00

In this case I don't see a reason why not to feel myself cheated if I'm unable to use my Early Access Beta Key or I'm forced to buy Windows for another 100$ to use it. After all from the very begining it was said, that PoE will run on Windows, Mac and Linux and it's using Unity Engine witch is multiplatform. I didn't expected to have delays for other platforms. If I would, I wouldn't make my pledge (not donation).

I do belive it will be resolved in such a way that both me and obsidian are happy. :dancing:

Brandon - I backed at a tier that includes a beta key but I will not be able to participate or contribute any feedback. May my beta key be given to another user that doesn't currently have a right to one? It would be a pity if it was wasted.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Brandon - I backed at a tier that includes a beta key but I will not be able to participate or contribute any feedback. May my beta key be given to another user that doesn't currently have a right to one? It would be a pity if it was wasted.

I'm not with Obsidian, but I doubt this would be a problem. I imagine the key is yours to do with as you please - to use, not use, or give away as you see fit. I suppose selling it would be frowned upon. And depending on how the Backer Beta Forum will be set up, might have to jump through some hoops to give the recipient access/recognition there?

Edited by Ark Evensong

People really need to stop acting like this is a pre-order where the money is just there to give back. They spent the money and the game is locked. You donated money. How selfish does it sound to want money you donated given back?

Selfish? Donated? Meybe if I would do this via Kickstarter then yes - but I've pledged my money via obsidian.net site and I've done this in exchange for very specific stuff:

1 Digital Download of Pillars of Eternity 35.00 35.00 1 Early Access Beta Key 25.00 25.00

Please, do enlighten us as to the differences between donations and pledges.

• Like 4

Your wish is my command. From my dictionary:

Pledge - A formal or solemn promise or agreement, esp to do or refrain from doing something.

Donation - Something (such as money, food, clothes, etc.) that you give in order to help a person or organization.

By Donation you simply give money to help and want nothing in return. By pledge you promise to make an agreement - in this case I've promised to buy a game with early access key and I've already make my payment. But there is an agreement behind a pledge but not behind a donation. That's the difference.

Example:

- You gave a homeless man a pizza. He is happy and sing a song for you. You've made a donation and you're now appreciated for it.

- You've said, that you'll give a homeless man a pizza if he sing a song for you. He did and he gets his tomato in return. That was pledge.

In first example the guy doesn't have to sing but in second he does (unless he doesn't want a pizza).

In this case I don't see a reason why not to feel myself cheated if I'm unable to use my Early Access Beta Key or I'm forced to buy Windows for another 100$ to use it. After all from the very begining it was said, that PoE will run on Windows, Mac and Linux and it's using Unity Engine witch is multiplatform. I didn't expected to have delays for other platforms. If I would, I wouldn't make my pledge (not donation).

I do belive it will be resolved in such a way that both me and obsidian are happy. :dancing:

I'm bummed out about the beta for linux delay too (I'm not going to be able to play it till then), but how are you cheated? You will get to participate in beta and have early access to the game months before its release. Is this not all that You've pledged for? Nowhere was it said, that beta will become available for all OS' at the same time - this was Your assumption. One could argue, that it was a reasonable assumption, but on the other hand, it is has not been unreasonable to assume, that beta would first be prepared for the OS, that (whether we like it or not) the majority of players use. In my experience, this is not at all uncommon.

Edited by Jajo
  • Like 1

I'm bummed out about the beta for linux delay too (I'm not going to be able to play it till then), but how are you cheated? You will get to participate in beta and have early access to the game months before its release. Is this not all that You've pledged for? Nowhere was it said, that beta will become available for all OS' at the same time - this was Your assumption. One could argue, that it was a reasonable assumption, but on the other hand, it is has not been unreasonable to assume, that beta would first be prepared for the OS, that (whether we like it or not) the majority of players use. In my experience, this is not at all uncommon.

This is a subjective call so there's no point arguing it. I'd feel just like you but to take another example from the Kickstarter realm, I also backed Godus and besides the game apparently being a big pile of F2P shіt, they also still don't even plan on releasing the promised Linux version anytime soon and it's been a year since the beta's been out for other platforms. That's enough for me to feel cheated, too, even though nobody ever promised a time frame. So technically, they are not in the wrong but practically, I'm just pissed (and that's even though I stopped looking forward to the game long ago). So my point is "you just made assumptions" is technically correct but then everybody does. You just assumed you'd live to see the Linux port even though nobody ever promised you that. All they said is that it would happen at some point. It happening this century was never promised ;) Still, I think it's safe to assume that you assumed otherwise.

Edited by mudd1

I didn't expected to have delays for other platforms.

Knowledge tempers expectation. Without it, you're left with the brittle, raw ore of assumption.

• Like 4

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

It's not exactly the same question, but Brandon said that you can send your key to another person.

Is it okay to buy an extra beta key and give it to a friend? Even if they aren't a backer, or a part of the community yet? Can't wait for the 18!

Yup. If you purchase a beta key add-on you can send it to your friend.

• Like 2

Beta? Next week? Oh my gosh ... congratulations. I'm really eager to try out. I am so glad that I could be part of supporting the project. But beta? Are you really already feature complete? That sounds like ... a lot of progress during the holiday period. But perfect timing, I got the week off :D. Only downside - I have to get some windows installation. Well, that can be worked out.

Good to see though that you are still going for that goal, and that you won't release without solving the issues on the platforms. That would probably only give unnecessary bad press on a mac/linux beta "not being good enough". And even being a Linux user, that Windows currently is the main target goal is understandable considering the market share. A few weeks? Hell - we waited years to get good titles natively, a few weeks won't hurt (but don't make it month or years :D).

@TheRealDrMcCoy you seem to crawl everywhere where I am :/.

Edited by STiAT

Your wish is my command. From my dictionary:

Pledge - A formal or solemn promise or agreement, esp to do or refrain from doing something.

Donation - Something (such as money, food, clothes, etc.) that you give in order to help a person or organization.

By Donation you simply give money to help and want nothing in return. By pledge you promise to make an agreement - in this case I've promised to buy a game with early access key and I've already make my payment. But there is an agreement behind a pledge but not behind a donation. That's the difference.

Example:

- You gave a homeless man a pizza. He is happy and sing a song for you. You've made a donation and you're now appreciated for it.

- You've said, that you'll give a homeless man a pizza if he sing a song for you. He did and he gets his tomato in return. That was pledge.

In first example the guy doesn't have to sing but in second he does (unless he doesn't want a pizza).

'Pledge' is indeed promise - but not promise to make an agreement.

The Kickstarter backers were also  'pledges' - promises to give money - they didn't give the money until later.

The same terminology was used in the 'Backers' portal -( 'Backers' not 'Customers' incidentally) - your pledge was merely delivered instantly.

Obsidian will be giving you beta access and whatever else you think you bought - but I don't recall seeing a promise on their side as to when it would be delivered.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

^ Should be fine; I used my company and that went through with no problem

Just to be clear: is Your company by any chance named "Curry in a Hurry"?

:cat:

Ha!  No,  Forum handle comes from the fast food Indian place we used to order in from during PnP sessions in my just out of college years.  Food was pretty terrible, but it went well with the beer.  

As I said before, I can understand if Linux version will be delayed a week or two, but if it will be delayed a month or two, then it's no point to buy early access, better just wait one more month until final release in winter. And I will also have no problem with it if the game runs fine on W.I.N.E. or PlayOnLinux.

Yay! Wasteland2-key and lots of good news about the Backer beta (if you happen to use PC and Steam)! It's just one week away now. :)

I wonder if the backer beta forum will open up right on cue or a bit earlier?

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Beta? Next week? Oh my gosh ... congratulations. I'm really eager to try out. I am so glad that I could be part of supporting the project. But beta? Are you really already feature complete? That sounds like ... a lot of progress during the holiday period. But perfect timing, I got the week off :D. Only downside - I have to get some windows installation. Well, that can be worked out.

Americans don't get the summer off, man. "Holidays" are in 4 months.

Edited by Panteleimon

As I said before, I can understand if Linux version will be delayed a week or two, but if it will be delayed a month or two, then it's no point to buy early access, better just wait one more month until final release in winter.

Wasn't aware winter was one month away from August. o_o

Seems to me that getting something in September instead of December still qualifies as "early."

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u