Update #83: Backer Portal, Backer Beta, and Wasteland 2 Keys

So to clarify:

If I want Wasteland 2 on GOG I need to wait.

If I want to beta test Eternity, and then do so on Steam, I can still later have my full digital copy on GOG instead of Steam.

Is this correct?

The inXile guys aren't releasing a GOG version of Wasteland 2 until later, so if you want that version of Wasteland 2, you will have to wait.

For the Eternity beta, we specifically created a new Steam app just for the beta. This allows us to give out Steam keys that are only for the backer beta. This means you can use Steam for the backer beta, but choose GOG for the retail version of PoE.

So what does that mean for the WL2 key if I want it on GOG - sorry, but for me it's still not clear... ;)

- I don't redeem the WL2 code now and later it will turn up on the backer portal for GOG as well? Or do I get both keys (don't think so but would be nice anyway) *g

- Define "until later" - months after release? Days?

The Eternity Beta method is great, so I can participate in the Beta and get it on GOG for the final release!

If you use the Steam key now you will be unable to get it on GOG. I can't define later because it is up to the inXile guys as to when they want to release a GOG version of WL2. Once they give us access to GOG keys we will let you guys know.

Gees,

That is a abit stiff, having to add $130 for something that I can head over to STEAM now and get for $59, does not make sense.

Can Someone verify this information about the $165 +  Tier requirement please?

Cheers

The WL2 key was a bonus item for that tier, not for just the WL2 game.

why steam only?

i thought josh said somewhere they would be using another client.

it's not the end of the world, and i'll play it regardless, but still dissappointed.

however, could you at least confirm that this won't be early access? so no one from outside will be able to join?

We chose to make it Steam only because it is easier for us to update all of the builds for the backers. If we went with other platforms it would slow down our planned releases to everyone. Steam also allows us to control the beta so we can remove it once the retail game goes live.

As of right now we are not planning to do Early Access, but this could change in the future. If it does, we will inform you guys.

• Like 3

Just to be on the safe side: Are beta backers allowed to make screenshots, videos and talk about the content of the beta?

Or are there any NDA-like restrictions?

No NDA restrictions. Talk, screenshot, and video away.

• Like 7

My address tab is totally empty and non editable. My orders tab is also empty but I'm pretty sure I qualified for the Wasteland key. Should I start panicking and running for support or is this known and will be fixed?

Hey, Kal'Daran. I just took a look at your account and it seems like you never went through the process of managing your pledge. Go to https://eternity.obsidian.net/backer/index and you should be able to complete your order. Once you have done this, you should see your WL2 key if you follow the instructions above.

• Like 1

Yeah, it lists all my backings with a green "✔OK" next to it. My email address is also the same that I used with the kickstarter so I'm not sure what the problem is, I better just send support a message.

I'm sure contacting support would be helpful. I was just trying to see if we couldn't happen to figure out a simple solution before you had to contact them and wait on that to be processed, since it seems like a simple problem is present (even though it might not be as simple as it seems).

For what it's worth, my page lists "Previously used" (with a little checkbox in front of it) in the "status" box, beside my pledge, and my "Total Credit Available" at the bottom right shows "$0.00." I think if your total credit available is greater than 0, then your pledge is still just pledge credit, and hasn't been officially applied towards a verified order. You have to go through a confirmation process in order to do all that. (There's some sort of "Confirm" button or something... I can't remember, since mine's already confirmed now and that option doesn't seem to be displayed anymore.)

Anywho, hopefully something in that is helpful. But, as I said, I'm sure support can help you out much better than I can, :)

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Is it okay to buy an extra beta key and give it to a friend? Even if they aren't a backer, or a part of the community yet? Can't wait for the 18!

Yup. If you purchase a beta key add-on you can send it to your friend.

• Like 2

It sounds as though your pledge hasn't yet been confirmed (even if you've already gone through the steps to confirm it). If you log into the portal, then click "Manage my pledge," is there anything listed there? I would double check that.

Yeah, it lists all my backings with a green "✔OK" next to it. My email address is also the same that I used with the kickstarter so I'm not sure what the problem is, I better just send support a message.

The green OK means that you still need to go through the pledge management process. Just select the "Select Reward" button to get started.

• Like 1

Hey, Kal'Daran. I just took a look at your account and it seems like you never went through the process of managing your pledge. Go to https://eternity.obsidian.net/backer/index and you should be able to complete your order. Once you have done this, you should see your WL2 key if you follow the instructions above.

Huh, I thought I did that last year, maybe I'm mixing it up with the Torment one. But you were right BAdler, thanks so much for the help. :)

I'm sure contacting support would be helpful. I was just trying to see if we couldn't happen to figure out a simple solution before you had to contact them and wait on that to be processed, since it seems like a simple problem is present (even though it might not be as simple as it seems).

For what it's worth, my page lists "Previously used" (with a little checkbox in front of it) in the "status" box, beside my pledge, and my "Total Credit Available" at the bottom right shows "$0.00." I think if your total credit available is greater than 0, then your pledge is still just pledge credit, and hasn't been officially applied towards a verified order. You have to go through a confirmation process in order to do all that. (There's some sort of "Confirm" button or something... I can't remember, since mine's already confirmed now and that option doesn't seem to be displayed anymore.)

Anywho, hopefully something in that is helpful. But, as I said, I'm sure support can help you out much better than I can, :)

Yeah BAdler sorted it out for me and you hit jackpot, I for some reason hadn't finalized the pledge before. It's been sorted now, but thank you for the effort it was very much appreciated. :)

Feels odd how I got my copy of Wasteland 2 beta key from the Torment pledge/account page yet both Torment and Eternity feel so connected through the sharing of team members and such that I keep forgetting which one I got it from. I was like why is it not showing up on my account page for Eternity then remembered that I had it on my Torment account page. :D

• Like 1

Huh.  So 2 more weeks to decide whether I should let all you punks see my real name among a list of hundreds of others.

I used a pseudonym in the backer credits part of the survey, and it seems to have defaulted to using that name for my shipping address. Something to look out for I guess, lest you have trouble with the post office when it's delivered.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

It's probably to early to say, but will expansion pack see a physical release, in the vein of good old "Throne of Bhaal" times? I'm asking about it, because if so, I don't want to get a digital release even at the 20$ discount price - I'll gladly pay thrice as much as long as it's a physical goodie. Obviously if the answer is "no" than I have to hurry up and buy an add-on to my pledge.

Many thanks in advance

Edited by milczyciel
  • Like 1

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

Quick question about redeeming Wasteland 2 on Steam: on Steam the only version available so far is the Digital Deluxe edition, so does that mean these codes will also provide us with the extra content associated with that edition? Or are these codes essentially the standard edition of the game? (although currently the store page on Steam displays a message that the digital deluxe edition is owned.)

I don't see the extra content anywhere in my Wasteland 2 folder, but it'd make sense to me if that was reserved for people who backed the actual Wasteland 2 kickstarter / pre-ordered directly on the store page.  Otherwise, if we ought to have that content available to us, should I be trying to get in touch with inXile's support?

Huh.  So 2 more weeks to decide whether I should let all you punks see my real name among a list of hundreds of others.

I used a pseudonym in the backer credits part of the survey, and it seems to have defaulted to using that name for my shipping address. Something to look out for I guess, lest you have trouble with the post office when it's delivered.

I used my company name, since more than half of my pledge was really for my business partner and best friend who didn't have the money himself to do so. He had given so much sweat and blood to our projects that god darnit, he was going to be an NPC in an Obsidian game. I've never regretted how much I spent.

The other things in the reward tier we're planning on giving away to Desert Bus for Hope if the game launches before November.

• Like 5

So what does that mean for the WL2 key if I want it on GOG - sorry, but for me it's still not clear... ;)

- I don't redeem the WL2 code now and later it will turn up on the backer portal for GOG as well? Or do I get both keys (don't think so but would be nice anyway) *g

- Define "until later" - months after release? Days?

The Eternity Beta method is great, so I can participate in the Beta and get it on GOG for the final release!

I can't say for certain how this will work, but it would make no sense for you to get both keys. What I imagine will happen is you'll have a button like described in the update where you can generate a key for steam or GOG. If you choose to generate for GOG, then the Steam key will no longer be available and vise versa.

As for the part

"This means that as of August 22nd, you will only be able to preorder the game and will be unable to back the game at reduced prices"

Will I be able to preorder Boxed Collector's Edition after this date ? It costs now 160$ with shipping for me which is quite a lot so I still think about it. But if the game will be more expensive after this date I will buy it now.