What you did today

Gorth

Maybe he wants to write romance, but battleships and so forth keep creeping in.

A romance novel penned by Monte Carlo would be very funny. "As he kissed her passionately, a 5.56 ripped through his leg...."

..."You finally decided to let me know, eh?" She husked, as a figure in battledress fell on top of them.

"Sergeant!" The newcomer wailed. "You need to rally the men here. I'm going to get the women and children into the redoubt."

The sounds of cracking bones were clearly audible. The raptors had breached the first wall of mealie bags.

McSteakarms pushed Jennifer aside and stood. "Company will fix plasma bayonets! FIX! BAYONETS!"

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

A family member and good friend of mine is on his deathbed. Which is hardly a surprise, he developed a terminal medical condition about a year ago and now in his last stage of his illness he is in great pain and feels terrible. Death is never gentle it seems. 
And I feel ashamed because I don't feel like I should, everyone is crying, sad or angry, but even though we've been best friends for two decades I feel absolutely nothing.

I'm not shocked and totally aware of the situation, I'm also by no means someone who lacks empathy. I tried really hard to feel something, but now I have to fake being devastated because I don't want to ruin the relationship with my other family members.

Its a really, really strange situation. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

A family member and good friend of mine is on his deathbed. Which is hardly a surprise, he developed a terminal medical condition about a year ago and now in his last stage of his illness he is in great pain and feels terrible. Death is never gentle it seems. 

And I feel ashamed because I don't feel like I should, everyone is crying, sad or angry, but even though we've been best friends for two decades I feel absolutely nothing.

I'm not shocked and totally aware of the situation, I'm also by no means someone who lacks empathy. I tried really hard to feel something, but now I have to fake being devastated because I don't want to ruin the relationship with my other family members.

Its a really, really strange situation. 

I have also had to fake certain expected emotions at funerals and other events. But I think we all grieve in our own way. You will probably get upset later but in your own time

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Don't feel ashamed, Woldan. It is perfectly normal - a good friend of mine lost his mother to a long, drawn out battle with lungcancer and he confided in me that he didn't feel anything, just numbness. It lasted up until the moment the casket was lowered into the hole - when he had a brief cry, and then went back to not showing anything. Who knows, maybe you will feel something at the funeral, but even if you don't, it's not out of the ordinary. Emotions are different for everyone and nobody should be pressured into faking them.

• Like 2

Maybe you are a sociopath.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I he is, then he can harness his powaz and accomplish great things (rubs claws together and cackles manically).

Then again, a sociopath wouldn't come on a message board and emote about it, he'd simply pretend. Sociopaths are adept mimics.

So Woldan strikes me as simply being emotionally resilient to the point of borderline emotionally malformed. Again, not necessarily a bad thing, the world has more than it's fair share of whining girly-men. Come the zombie apocalypse Woldan is exactly the type of person I'd want to hang with.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Come the zombie apocalypse Woldan is exactly the type of person I'd want to hang with.

heh, that's a point a former Ranger discussed with me. You have the Hollywood view of Special Forces / Survivalist type guys being the Woldan-esque big, beefy, defined and bulky muscle toned types... When they actually tend to fail out of the qualifications.  Those body types tend to require a lot of calories and resources to keep going strong, so put them in a position of day after day effort with minimal resources and they tend to drain and fade out quicker then the lean, resilient, wiry types.

So you'd have to balance out Woldan's skills and attitudes for survival, against whether you want to get between him and that last tin of food you might be sharing.. :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Don't feel ashamed, Woldan. It is perfectly normal - a good friend of mine lost his mother to a long, drawn out battle with lungcancer and he confided in me that he didn't feel anything, just numbness. It lasted up until the moment the casket was lowered into the hole - when he had a brief cry, and then went back to not showing anything. Who knows, maybe you will feel something at the funeral, but even if you don't, it's not out of the ordinary. Emotions are different for everyone and nobody should be pressured into faking them.

Thanks for the condolences.

Yes, maybe things will make a sudden turn when it actually ''happened'', though I do not remember ever being very sad when my grandparents died or when my pets vanished when I was a kid. And I was very emotionally attached to them (I loved them) but their sudden loss didn't have a lot of impact. I should probably be thankful seeing how much others suffer from that kind of loss.

And I agree, emotions shouldn't need to be faked when being amongst friends, but there are certain situations where it can be very helpful. 

Still feeling like a major ass though. 

heh, that's a point a former Ranger discussed with me. You have the Hollywood view of Special Forces / Survivalist type guys being the Woldan-esque big, beefy, defined and bulky muscle toned types... When they actually tend to fail out of the qualifications. Those body types tend to require a lot of calories and resources to keep going strong, so put them in a position of day after day effort with minimal resources and they tend to drain and fade out quicker then the lean, resilient, wiry types.

I don't really know how I compare in daily caloric intake with other people, all I know is that people close to me are always amazed by how little I actually eat, and I know by fact that I eat less than a friend who weighs 150lbs soaking wet. How is that possible?

His metabolism is very inefficient while mine is efficient. 

According to my experience doing hard physical activities for years can change the efficiency of your metabolism, especially hard cardio like cycling.

Sports lowers your idle heart rate (which can make a very big difference in energy consumption), wide and clean vessels makes the blood flow easier, and there is reduction in friction in the joints. Sports don't just increase your muscle mass and endurance, there is a lot more happening.

I frequently do very long high altitude mountain hikes and neither my weight nor muscles mass ever gets in my way or makes me require excessive amounts of food to keep going. 

That being said, there are definitely benefits and draw backs with every body type, and it depends on the scenario which one you need. One thing I can always do is automatically sizing down from prolonged low caloric intake. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I'm checking in from MIlan. Hi guys. Love this city so far. Went to the Duomo today, and the Galleria. Truly a sight to be hold

lots of pidgeons, and even more tourists like myself. Was a moment of rain, tbh I didn't mind.

Lots of poverty in Italy though...

• Like 3

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Hi JFSOCC "waves" :)

How long are you in Italy for?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So, Apple announced their watch-type product today. I can almost hear the thousands of smug Swiss watchmakers going "Nah, our market share won't be impacted", just like the cellphone makers and portable audio device makers did, back in the day...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

So, Apple announced their watch-type product today. I can almost hear the thousands of smug Swiss watchmakers going "Nah, our market share won't be impacted", just like the cellphone makers and portable audio device makers did, back in the day...

It does save people the trouble of taking their phone out of their pocket, it seems.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

There's always room to be shaken and not stirred.

I got home from a meal that was partially networking with business associates of a friend. Pleasant thai food and beer.

Then I saw on the internet that Keannu Reeve's is turning 50.  Damn. That makes me feel old.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."