What you did today

Gorth

Thunderstorm interrupted my bicycle ride, right on my fastest section rain poured down so hard that my glasses fogged up, I couldn't see anything, it was so wet that the brakes were useless but my racing slicks didn't have any traction anyway, partly due to the aquaplaning. It felt like ice skating with dull blades. Very little control at speeds up to 90kmh.

To sum it up in one word: awesome!

For me that sounds like an absolutely horrendous experience, I can't believe you enjoyed it :x

Are there stop signs in Austria ... there are many of them here, and not a single bicyclist stops at stop signs. Even the dressed-up nitwits in biker shorts, the shoes, and jersey, completely ignore basic road rules. They want equal treatment and share of the road without earning the privilege. I was just wondering if it's a worldwide phenomenon.

yes, it is. Apart from the fact that here they want special treatkent and mostly drive on pedestrian lanes, where they create the same imbalance there would be between a cyclist and a car on the road, where they are supposed to be.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

On a related note;

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I don't get how its possible for cyclists to ignore so many traffic rules, I mean driving when the lights are red, ignoring stop signs and all that? If I were doing that I surely would be dead in a matter of days. Cycling in traffic is already damn dangerous even if you are really careful. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 3

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I'll guess most simply think that "if I am fast now, I'll make it. Nothing happens to me." It's happening all the time here.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I think it's a case of thinking they are better than motorists, and having some sort of ethical or moral high-ground makes them impervious to Newtons law.

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I just bench pressed 1.5 times my own weight, 2 repetitions, with acceptable form, on the flat bench. Mission accomplished, only took me a few years to get there.  :wacko:

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

You eying a Tesla?

Yeah, I've wanted one for a long while but I can't justify the price for a second car

I shouldn't have said I don't like 'em ... I do, I mean the body style is instantly recognizable (to people who notice, anyway) and super svelte ... plus it's unique in the category. I know there is a healthy fine car enthusiast culture in Denver, so I'm sure Teslas have been driven in snow, somewhere. If not, the Q50 is AWD, yes, it should get you to Crested Butt no problem.  

All Stop. On Screen.

So Copenhagen got hit by a tropic storm or something in the night.. 120mm (47 inches) fell during 2-3 hours.. It was like a wall of water, never seen anything like it.

I was out with purple hair and a friend and the club we was in was completly flooded. Water was running in - this was about 15min in and an hour later in was up to our ankles, great fun :) (if a bit unhygenic)

10658670_294062007444715_555117748027033

Fortune favors the bald.

I think it's a case of thinking they are better than motorists, and having some sort of ethical or moral high-ground makes them impervious to Newtons law.

My absolute favourite has to be a few years ago when London cyclists tried to argue that they be allowed to go through red lights. It was in the goddamn Metro letters page.

I mean even assuming they could avoid the cars, surely they're not immune to each other? Or are they like swans, and can't collide.

No, wait, I'm thinking of neutrons.

• Like 4

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Worried about my dog. He started throwing up yesterday, took him to the vet, and they say it's a serious case of pancreatitis. He's in lots of pain, on an IV and painkillers, but his fever is down.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hope your goggie gets better, Tale! I've been a bit sick again this weekend, so looks like the bug isn't completely gone, yet. Fourth week... Sigh.

I'm burnt out and am realizing I have no purpose or goals beyond "Graduate"

You should look at it positively, you seem to be quite high in Maslow's hierarchy of needs. :p

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Pancreatitis sounds like a college campus in SW Georgia, which Calax should graduate from.

Had one of my best dreams ever last night. Outbreak o vamps, a la Stakeland. With twist that many different strains of vamp flu existed. Most vamps highly competitive and killed one another over prey post-outbreak. Humans able to sustain small communities if out of the way, or subsist as urban 'herds' slowly being wittled down by solitary uber strong vamps. Myself with attempting to mobilise fight back by killing off weaker vamps, but events in dream around time first smart vamp took an interest. Sent infiltrator to group disguised as refugee.

I suspect that the aggressor group would have turned out to be lead by ex-military chap. Lots of clues along the way. Military tended to turn at once, kill whoever they were protecting, then turn on each other.

Easter egg for Nepenthe in the dream! Had flashback sequence to fall of Westminster, saw sign for law firm of 'Lowe, Bligh, and Hjalno' :)

• Like 3

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I just read in the news that, here in Austria, 3 people died in a dried out well shaft. A man accidentally fell into it, lost consciousness due to the gas that had collected on the bottom, then the son-in-law climbed down and lost consciousness and last but not least the pregnant wife did the same thing with the same result. A whole family, wiped out just like that. 

Even if I panicked I would not climb down a well shaft because I KNOW that scentless and invisible gases down there can and will kill you and that rescue without a rope and protection mask isn't only impossible but also possibly lethal. 

I don't want to talk badly about people that died in such a tragic way but......  People, I don't understand them.   :blink:

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I don't want to talk badly about people that died in such a tragic way but......  People, I don't understand them.   :blink:

When defending family, self-preservation (and - to a person sitting in a comfortable chair in no immediate danger - logic as well) goes out the window.

Fortune favors the bald.

I had my fair share of family emergencies, but I've always managed to keep a cool head and to think before doing anything stupid that might even escalate the situation. There is no excuse for panicking. Ever. 

I'd say you're feelings on this matter indicates that you haven't been in a lot of dangerous situations with people.

edit: life threatening situations are beyond logic, training and exposure helps a great deal as you get desensitized to that rush of emotion - but you're average Joe isn't trained, so judging him as being purely 'illogical' and saying it's inexcusable for him to panic strikes me as a fairly inexperienced conclusion.

• Like 3

Fortune favors the bald.

Arrived in Berlin. Got myself a temporary roof over my head and had my first day in the new work place.

I'm probably not going to relax properly and kick back until I got a more permanent arrangement though. Time to start hunting those web pages and see what's available in the the general area.

You have to admire the German system... you are required by law to register yourself as living somewhere within 14 days. You need an appointment at the relevant authorities. You can't get an appointment any sooner than 30 days. I think I'll go down and visit them tomorrow and ask how the heck that is supposed to work ;)

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'd say you're feelings on this matter indicates that you haven't been in a lot of dangerous situations with people.

Ha. HAHA. HAHAHA. Just don't assume to know in which situations I have been, and how I'm supposed to react in them please.   :lol:

People react very differently to extreme stress, (extreme stress is all that a life or death situation really is), some totally lose their mind, some freeze, some are hysterical, some stay calm, some slow down..... Every person is different and you only know how they react if they're exposed to that stress, you cannot predict their behavior. 

I have been in life or death situations, and I remember the more dangerous things got the calmer and level headed I got, in fact, a little too calm. If that hadn't been the case I wouldn't be able to write this post here because I would have made the wrong choices and I'd be dead. 

Edited by Woldan

Just don't assume to know in which situations I have been, and how I'm supposed to react in them please.... I have been in life or death situations, and I remember the more dangerous things got the calmer and level headed I got, in fact, a little too calm. If that hadn't been the case I wouldn't be able to write this post here because I would have made the wrong choices and I'd be dead. 

edit: You know, in short my point was that your personal experience was not a standard to which you could hold other people..

I wanted to add an addendum saying that I was sure you had been in plenty of serious situations, as have I, but that this was ultimately a sort of "Achilles heel" of empathy. 'cause it really is easy to start thinking.. if it's so easy for me, it must be for everyone - and people find it hard, they must be weak...

People react very differently to extreme stress, (extreme stress is all that a life or death situation really is), some totally lose their mind, some freeze, some are hysterical, some stay calm, some slow down..... Every person is different and you only know how they react if they're exposed to that stress, you cannot predict their behavior.

Judging from this, we agree... So why, with this taken into account, is panic inexcusable? 

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.