Odd SSD Behavior

Bartimaeus

Upon inspection of some of the newegg reviews such as http://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/SingleProductReview.aspx?ReviewID=3979372&Item=20-178-455 it seems despite a first look at the first page of search results giving 4/5 stars it seems that many users are reporting stuttering issues with games.

I'd send your drive back on warranty.

re: ocz, sandforce

I have an OCZ Vertex 2 60GB in my main machine, which I bought in 2009. I have literally not had a problem with it. Sandforce was once the best SSD controller, but now it isn't.

Edited by Sensuki

Oh I'm sure lots of people run them with no issues. But then some people ran IBM Deathstars with no issues either. But outside of pure anecdotal observations, the return rates of those products is measurably and significantly higher than the alternatives. (My own anecdote is that the only SSD I've had fail is a Corsair Force 60GB, a Sandforce drive)

The Vertex 2 is also an interesting example here because not only that, during the middle of the product's lifecycle, OCZ replaced the NAND chips they were using with significantly slower ones on a smaller process node in a pure act of money grubbing. Kingston have also done this relatively recently, so both companies are kind of on my poop list.

P.S. In response to an earlier post, SSDs are more vulnerable to power outages, true, but taken into account as part of overall reliability, SSDs still come out ahead and that's really the important thing. Disregarding backups, I'd be easily more comfortable with the integrity of my data stored on an SSD than on a spindle drive.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'd say at this point if you haven't made a refund or replacement claim yet.

If PNY has given you any software to manage your SSD try running a performance test and post the results on here.

http://www.pny.com/support/technical-support/solid-state-drives/faqs

Does my SSD require special drivers?
No, the standard drivers for any HDD will support PNY SSD drives as plug and play components, such as those bundled with Windows or MacOS.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Wasn't really asking about drivers, I myself have a Samsung 840 Evo Series SSD where Samsung packs it in with some of their own proprietary software called Samsung Magician where I can change settings on the SSD along with running performance tests on it.

Yeah, but the point I was trying to illustrate is that PNY doesn't give anything with the drive, (also, nothing came with it in the very minimal packaging).

Kind of weird - I don't see any way to even get the latest firmware off their website. Could swear they used to have a download for it...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.