Ingame Reactions to Death Godlike

Crunchy on the outside, fluffy in the middle?

Sorry.

You got me :p

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I'd actually like to play a Death Godlike who is kind and benevolent.

You may call it the typical good Drow syndrome.

(That was a syndrome on some persistent NWN2 worlds where a lot of people wanted to play a good Drow because they wanted to be as unique as Drizzt which ended up

with A LOT of good Drow and everyone emphasizing how exceptional and rare they were. Lol that was fun.)

So I'd like almost everyone to be freaked out by my Death Godlike PC but time after time they learn that he's good and kind.

It's a cliché of a misunderstood underdog I know, can't help it ^^

Well, with Death Godlikes it's not as set in stone as with Drow or Blood Mages. They are not necessarily evil or crazy (unlike Blood Mages who are quite dangerous to everyone that comes near them).

Death Godlikes are born with their appearance, they can't help it. And neither does it say a lot about their character. A Death Godlike may be very bitter about being cursed with such body, but strive to be accepted and loved. It may make them completely deny death, try to be a healer and fight death at every turn, because why the hell would you not try to show the middle finger to the god that made you this way?

Or maybe you could roleplay a Death Godlike who tries to grant peace to souls who are bound to elements or to their mortal body, but have long lost their mind. This way a Death Godlike can worship the death god, but still be merciful and kind.

Equally some Nature Godlikes may look like benevolent fairies, but actually prove to be pretty cold-hearted and follow strictly survival of the fittest ideology. 

Obsidian allows a lot of roleplaying potential with Godlikes. No races are evil, no races are good. Neither are any of the gods completely good or evil. And that's pretty awesome, because it allows quite unique character concepts.

So, if you ask me that's one of the best character choices you could make.

• Like 5

I'm not saying death is evil in the first place. It was said that death godlikes were prejudiced against as being evil or harbingers of doom, not that they were evil by default. They're not getting evil points as there is no binary good and evil system in Pillars of Eternity. They would be getting points in reputations (reputation being how others perceive you) that are associated with the concept evil because of how prejudiced people are against them. The starting points would indicate that they, being death godlikes, are automatically seen by the populace as being cruel and deceptive even though they're not. Essentially a form of racism.

This would counteract the problem given earlier in the thread such as how in Neverwinter Nights 2 you could play a drow or a tiefling and it had zero bearing on how people responded to you beyond the occassional dialogue blurb.

Alright, I'm sorry, I misunderstood your question. But that is a very good idea, no doubt about it; to have a racial starting reputation (perhaps not only with the Death Godlike?) with different associations that are or are not generally accepted - even aggressively opposed or propagated - in the major populace, as to really put forth the problem and difficulty with prejudice, sectarianism, division and so on and so forth. That would in fact present not only physical combat and the duress of that, but the mental battle as well! And things that are mental, is mental, man! And of course, that one NPC might see things as good or evil by their own judgement and another in a variation of that, as opposed to a PC that does not could lead into deep philosophical and existential issues - not only relevant to Eora, but also things we might think of on Earth; in other words, not only sword fights is part of the game, but mind battles too. I think that could make the game world come very much to life, and as you say, not make your interactions with NPCs into occasional blurbs without any real meaning or impact in relation to your PC. To me this sounds awesome.

• Like 1

[snip]

I meant reputation factors that people generally associate with the concept of evil. The cruel and deceptive dispositions come to mind, except instead of earning them people just assume they exist and they respond to you as if you were cruel and deceptive. Starting points in those dispositions could make a death godlike feel more in character without having to add a large amount of custom dialogue for this race, and would also simulate how hard it is to get out of prejudice by making it much harder to get a better reputation.

I'm not advocating this idea be implemented as I have no idea in what way responses to the cruel and deceptive dispositions come to fruition in the game or exactly how death godlikes are treated, but I felt the idea was interesting and I was hoping for something of a more in depth response than the utterly lame out of hand dismissal of "nope".

[snip]

I'm not saying death is evil in the first place. It was said that death godlikes were prejudiced against as being evil or harbingers of doom, not that they were evil by default. They're not getting evil points as there is no binary good and evil system in Pillars of Eternity. They would be getting points in reputations (reputation being how others perceive you) that are associated with the concept evil because of how prejudiced people are against them. The starting points would indicate that they, being death godlikes, are automatically seen by the populace as being cruel and deceptive even though they're not. Essentially a form of racism.

This would counteract the problem given earlier in the thread such as how in Neverwinter Nights 2 you could play a drow or a tiefling and it had zero bearing on how people responded to you beyond the occassional dialogue blurb.

Hmm. Playing around with disposition modifiers based on race (/culture/background/class/gender/hair color/whatever) could be interesting. Not sure it would have the desired effect, though - Not every Thomas, Richard and Harold is going to respond to dispositions, and it'll make those who do care about those specific dispositions look especially racist. (Even if they're specifically not.)

Then there's the question whether "Death" is actually associated with Cruelty and Deception in Eora. I imagine depends on culture - so while some inhabitants of the Eastern Reach may indeed see "Death Godlike" and think 'Cruel' and 'Deceptive', others may think 'Stoic' and 'Honest'. 

If you want a more general level of distrust, perhaps look at the Location and Faction reputations? Add some negative points there. More "regular people" should react to those.

(Not sure I'd like to see such large changes based on race, though.)

• Like 1

In reallife commoners or stupid peasants would "smile" at you playing the happy shiny people card and next thing they do is to run to anyone who is competent and armed (a militia) and tell him about you not forgetting to ask for a return of the risk they undertook because they treated to kill you... rumor mill starts to turn. So if there is no real education and some culture diversity in the area you explore you can expect hostility. You always fear what you dont know, thats our own history and before you die you kill the thing you fear.

And farmers should not even be able to read. They are stupid poor people who listens to the dude in charge and do whatever they can to get something they dont have. I dont know if the farmers are free in the game. I mean if they have a feudal lord because if yes you can be sure these criitters are very bad if you dont fit in their "common" worldview.

Edited by NWN_babaYaga

Of the "evil" reputation types, only Cruel seems unequivocal ... the other two, Aggressive and Deceptive, could be interpreted differently, or less than evil.  

For my paladin, I'd like to see how far Cruel and Rational intertwine. Once in a while, make the Passionate choice, since, of course, he has a harem to satisfy. 

All Stop. On Screen.

I don't know about you guys but my first playthough is going to be a death godlike in big head mode. The lulz train can't be stopped.

OR u could make it serious and wear a dirty robe and drag a huge 2handed sword on the ground behind u.....

Edited by redneckdevil
  • Like 1

To be honest, if I came across an abomination of nature like Death Godlike, I would politely smile and act as if nothing unusual is happening. Especially if that Death Godlike is backed by five armed to teeth companions. 

I think people of Eora are superstitious, not suicidal. It's one thing to kill a baby and other thing to try to pull the same number with a full grown Death Godlike. 

If I came across an abomination of nature like Death Godlike backed by five armed to the teeth companions, I would run like hell or hide before they saw me if at all possible. I doubt any important NPCs will do the same in-game. 

With bony growths like we've seen so far for the Death god-like, helmets are out of the question. I wonder if this will be reflected in the combat system?

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Death godlike needn't be wanton slayers and random reapers. Any culture that believes in reincarnation or that embraces the concept of natural cycles (annual, seasonal, etc.) as part of their core concepts might be more favorably inclined towards a Death godlike. Crossing the veil, so to speak, is a journey we all must take. Sometimes doing so is an end to prolonged suffering and the loss of dignity that often accompanies venerable age or debilitating illness. If acknowledged as a manifestation of relief, an Angel of Final Mercy, Death godlike might not be universally reviled in such cultures.

Of course, no one wants to check out too early, so maybe it's best to buy the Death godlike a round from across the bar and then be about one's business elsewhere...  :p

Edit: Nature godlike might inspire as many peery looks and cases of the jitters if the godlike in question is the manifestation of the red-in-tooth-and-claw aspect of the wilds.

Edited by Tsuga C
  • Like 2

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

@Tsuga C none of the godlikes can wear helmets.

Ah, good to know. Thanks.

Considering how intolerant humans are in our world. Fish people, cat people, godlike people would be killed on sight, put in slavery or forced to live on reservations. Maybe in pillars people simply don't care as much because of all the magic, gods and species diversity. 

@Tsuga C none of the godlikes can wear helmets.

Aww. Well, hope they will add variant of deathgod like's head growth thing that covers whole face kinda like mask or helmet. I don't really like the "Helmet that covers everything but mouth" look

Seconded. I don't hate the current godlike heads, but I'd prefer some kind of asymmetrical design that at least shows one eye or something. When it just covers almost the whole head like that, it looks more like something they're wearing than something that's a part of them, is all. Plus... just options, really.

It'd be kind of like having a race at character creation that HAD to be bald. I mean, in Guild Wars 2, the Sylvari (plant folk) don't really have hair, but they came up with some pretty interesting hair-like foliage patterns that fit really well with them. Instead of just giving them green hair or something, or preventing them from having hair.

I dunno... I mean, we probably haven't seen all the godlike head variants. I'm just vying for some variety, especially in the death godlike (if they all just have giant, everything-but-mouth-concealing "something's wedged on my head and I can't get it off" growths, it would be disappointing, from a variety standpoint.

I don't demand that we get to make a death godlike that looks just like anyone else or anything. I'd just like for there to be variety in the way their growths manifest.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Aww. Well, hope they will add variant of deathgod like's head growth thing that covers whole face kinda like mask or helmet. I don't really like the "Helmet that covers everything but mouth" look

There are going to be a few variants, I imagine. They showed this earlier:

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

There are going to be a few variants, I imagine. They showed this earlier:

I do have seen that, but I took a notice in one of Sawyer Q&A videos that the current build has three head variations for deathgodlike <_< So I'm assuming thats all of them, unless they decide to add more in final release.

A death godlike with pink sparkles instead of black mist would be entertaining, admittedly.

Thanks, but no thanks, to this lovely suggestion--too reminiscent of "sparkly vampires" for the tweens to moon over. El barfo.  >_<