The Official Romance Thread

^Mayhaps we don't really 'own' the stronghold - could be we're just given dominion over it on a lifetime basis in service to the greater lord/king (who figures the 'lifetime' of an adventurer isn't all that long and in the meantime he gets it renovated for free :lol: )

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

TBH, I will not buy DA:I. After games going worse and worse with ME2 then DA2 and lastly ME3, I got burned on pre-ordering and buying all DLCs 3 times... enough is enough. I'd rather buy Shadows of Mordor and the new Assassins Creed or Batman than play this game. I have obviously grown beyond their targeted audience of squeeling teenagers with "pixel banging" fixation.

I have yet to see a good cRPG that is desgned with console controller in mind and the "action" crowd being the main target. I can only pray that TW3 will not fall, and the Cyberpunk game will also be high standard from CDP.

So far I have plenty of games to play: Shadowrun with mods, Wasteland 2, Divinity OS, and hopefully PoE.

I have DotA 2 to kill my time and TBS games from Firaxis/CA to keep my off line gaming time busy.

As painful as it is to say, Bioware is finshed for me, until I will see from the actual game play videos and Lets play that the game can be a good cRPG with the old Bioware quality in story telling and party interactions, while improving on choices and consequences (I was sooo disappointed in ME3 especially the bull**** with the no real value about big decisions from the first ME). The first Witcher had better choice and consequence mechanics than all the games from DA and ME universe combined...

Edited by Darkpriest

TBH, I will not buy DA:I. After games going worse and worse with ME2 then DA2 and lastly ME3, I got burned on pre-ordering and buying all DLCs 3 times... enough is enough. I'd rather buy Shadows of Mordor and the new Assassins Creed or Batman than play this game. I have obviously grown beyond their targeted audience of squeeling teenagers with "pixel banging" fixation.

I have yet to see a good cRPG that is desgned with console controller in mind and the "action" crowd being the main target. I can only pray that TW3 will not fall, and the Cyberpunk game will also be high standard from CDP.

So far I have plenty of games to play: Shadowrun with mods, Wasteland 2, Divinity OS, and hopefully PoE.

I have DotA 2 to kill my time and TBS games from Firaxis/CA to keep my off line gaming time busy.

As painful as it is to say, Bioware is finshed for me, until I will see from the actual game play videos and Lets play that the game can be a good cRPG with the old Bioware quality in story telling and party interactions, while improving on choices and consequences (I was sooo disappointed in ME3 especially the bull**** with the no real value about big decisions from the first ME). The first Witcher had better choice and consequence mechanics than all the games from DA and ME universe combined...

Mmmmm I'm not sure I believe you when you say " you won't play DA:I",  lets give it 3 months and then see if you  still haven't relented and ended up playing it ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

there are so many games, that I can live without DA:I. Maybe if they will give it in 2 years for free, like some Battlefield games, I will pick it up OR there will be a huge positive opinion from sites which are usually conservative about the game. I will probably not watch Lets Play, in case Id like to play it myself.

• Like 2

there are so many games, that I can live without DA:I. Maybe if they will give it in 2 years for free, like some Battlefield games, I will pick it up OR there will be a huge positive opinion from sites which are usually conservative about the game. I will probably not watch Lets Play, in case Id like to play it myself.

Fair enough, you seem resolute on your stance

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You cannot ignore the past. Any company reckless and callous enough to discard their own reputation and put out such a thoroughly terrible and remarkably uninspired game like Dragon Age 2 does not just suddenly turn around and give us a classic the next time out. And in Bioware's case the situation is even more obvious, since DA2 was no fluke. Their last three games have been cheap, sub par efforts by even their own quality standards.

You people are operating under an epically irrational sense of Hope. You will be burned again, just like the Mass Effect fans who waited for years in anticipation for that series' grand finale, which ended up being nothing more than an e-bullet right through their hope-filled hearts..... and just like us DA:O fans who were so awe-struck by how good DA:O was that we blindly threw our money at Bioware in anticipation of the sequel, despite all the evidence that Bioware was planning one of the biggest in-your-face cash grab con-jobs in gaming history.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 7

I hate Xena, but my step-dad loved it; so I've seen a lot of it through him. I'm glad that show is over. I don't know why I hated it so much.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I haven't looked into this thread for ages, and I'm actually surprised that it still exists. On the other hand, you seem to be talking about lesbians at the moment, so that's probably something the thread has going for it. Did it already devolve into lesbian sex scenes in video games or is that yet to come?

Yes, once a company makes a couple of games that he doesn't like, it makes complete sense to never buy from them again. Never, ever, ever. Period. End of Story. No, he's not crazy. Nope. Not at all. Wait, who are those guys in the white jackets and why are they knocking at his door... let go of the keyboard, son. Take a deep breath. In. Out. Yes, that's it. Now come along with the nice men... that's a good fellow.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I just found it funny that someone happened to use Xena, specifically, to cite a good sidekick relationship they'd like to see that steers clear of the realm of romance, 8P. That's all.

Anywho, I get Inquisition whenever it ships to me, now, so I'll come back with a full report of the quality of its romances (which I expect to be entertaining, but far from as well-written as possible.)

Yes, once a company makes a couple of games that he doesn't like, it makes complete sense to never buy from them again. Never, ever, ever. Period. End of Story.

Haha, yeah. 'Cause companies never change personnel, and different people never have different ideas about how to do things. Obviously, companies are giant hiveminds, and they always think the same, forever.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Haha, yeah. 'Cause companies never change personnel, and different people never have different ideas about how to do things. Obviously, companies are giant hiveminds, and they always think the same, forever.

No theyre not.

A good mentor-apprentice relationship is in The Name of the Rose.

Edited by Sheikh

Best post of the week, good and accurate analysis of the reality of how companies really operate

Of course they not immutable. Ask anyone who works for large corporations, like me,  and they will tell you how processes and strategies  seem to almost change on a 2-3 month basis

That's the nature of business, you adopt and change or you become redundant

John Milton 

Bruce, you are a very naive Bioware fanboy, unable to see that DA:I is just some generic action rpg where you spam ability with MMORPG quests. Even if we look beyond the game play, the game hasn't been received positively storywise according to most reviews. Basically a DA2 in a bigger world.

I'm curious why you even backed POE. Dragon age is supposed to be the spiritual successor of the IE games, but Bioware is trying really hard to move away from the formula as far as possible and you support them.

If more people like you support their games, then that means that Bioware will continue make crappy games and this is the reason why IE games are not made anymore. Thank you naive Fanboy.

Bruce, you are a very naive Bioware fanboy, unable to see that DA:I is just some generic action rpg where you spam ability with MMORPG quests. Even if we look beyond the game play, the game hasn't been received positively storywise according to most reviews. Basically a DA2 in a bigger world.

I'm curious why you even backed POE. Dragon age is supposed to be the spiritual successor of the IE games, but Bioware is trying really hard to move away from the formula as far as possible and you support them.

If more people like you support their games, then that means that Bioware will continue make crappy games and this is the reason why IE games are not made anymore. Thank you naive Fanboy.

Mmmm maybe because he has different tastes and likes a wide variety of games? Myself i grew up on the final fantasy/secret of mana/chrono trigger series and then tes series and for the longest time thought morrowind (hint-still do) one of the most amazing rpgs ever made and never even touched crpgs when i threw money at obsidian for their kickstarter. Hell the ones i tried i didnt even like but fonv impressed me so much thay i just threw money at them.

just because Bruce loves a good romance story and loves bioware games doesnt mean he wouldnt enjoy a good obsidian game even if it didnt have romance in it.

i seem to be on the opposite point of view with Bruce alot but cmon, no need to call out someone on tastes as theres no problem if the same person loves BG2, DA2, and Hello Kitty island( not saying he does but it wouldnt be a problem if he did). Different people, different tastes.

Lets keep it civil :) we have been a good behavior so far for awhile lol no need to end it

• Like 2

On topic, i find myself thinking back on the dragon age games and the only romance i saw that was done "decently" was the one with morrigan (that how u spell her name?). The reason is because how it was woven into the main plot and u had the choice to bypass it if u wanted to. I guess the reason why is because it was/could have been something important to the overall story. Alot of content involving it. The others...besides the gringworthy VA and a good bit of the writing, didnt really spark or seem interesting because after u romanced them with tje screen to black...u were basically done. No involving into core story or overreaching plot. It was done.
DA2...im an openminded guy but i prefer a certain sex and i didnt like the less amount of options. DA:O, it seemed u started and instigated it but u had many options to be nice, ****, or just normal. DA2 it seemed it was shoving it down ur throat in that u didnt instigate it, the game did. AND then on top of it, uhad basically 2 options. U had the "im the **** telling u no in an **** way" or it had "im so into u lets go do it like they do on the discovery channel" and then everyone once in awhile u had the "ow thats sweet im gonna be flirty but let u down". Tbh i felt they messed up by one "shoving it down our throats" in the approach and then got rid of the "normal" dialogue options. Hell tbh the only characters i was wondering about in the new game is varric (which i heard took the anders approach sadly) and now im only left with wondering about the dwarf son. All the other characters because of their romance approach, i dont care about them. Im done with being their problem solvers and tail on the side.

Now i rambled on so long to get to my main point. I think most people would be okay with having romance in the game myself included IF they followed a few guidelines.
1. Writing. The writing has to be good. Self explanatory.
2. The approach. Give the player the reins in instigating it or not and do it in a way where the npc isnt going on and on to "look at me!!! Love me!!!" and have it where the absence of romance isnt noticeable. Just because u CAN romance someone, doent mean hang a big sign over tbeir head that says "eventually u can bang me!". Have it where u could play the game and not even notice u can romance someone.
3. Have it important but again transparent to where it also isnt important. If ur gonna add romance, implement it into the core game where it has more impact and importance than just the side quest of getting the fade to black and then its done, take ques like morrigan from DA:O. BUT at the same time, have it where if u dont romance u dont miss out or change the importance. Morrigan again. Such as the baby thing and the dlc. We dont miss out if we dont romance her as far as tbe overall story but we just miss out the connection and importance of the situation. Hope that makes sense.
4. Add brothels witb the option yo spend money snd daddle lasses on ur knees no matter ur sex and throw in an option for a bar fight with ur mate as well.

Those 4 things i believe is very important to having a romance done well and thats what im expecting for a romance for me to like and be behind in games IF a gam chose to have romance in it.  so far i havent seen many at all doen right or decently and tbh i have no problem whatsoever having no romance in games because i rather have the absence of it than have to deal with terribad ones.

Edited by redneckdevil

Mmmm maybe because he has different tastes and likes a wide variety of games? Myself i grew up on the final fantasy/secret of mana/chrono trigger series and then tes series and for the longest time thought morrowind (hint-still do) one of the most amazing rpgs ever made and never even touched crpgs when i threw money at obsidian for their kickstarter. Hell the ones i tried i didnt even like but fonv impressed me so much thay i just threw money at them.

just because Bruce loves a good romance story and loves bioware games doesnt mean he wouldnt enjoy a good obsidian game even if it didnt have romance in it.

i seem to be on the opposite point of view with Bruce alot but cmon, no need to call out someone on tastes as theres no problem if the same person loves BG2, DA2, and Hello Kitty island( not saying he does but it wouldnt be a problem if he did). Different people, different tastes.

Lets keep it civil :) we have been a good behavior so far for awhile lol no need to end it

This is basically my exact response, good post :thumbsup:

I like a wide range of RPG and Romance doesn't even  factor in to whether I buy a particular RPG. Its great if its there and enhances the party interaction but I don't buy games based on there Romance implementation

John Milton 

No theyre not.

A good mentor-apprentice relationship is in The Name of the Rose.

... I'm so confused as to how that response matches that quote. o_o

Yes, Bruce. If only no one bought DA:I, and Bioware and EA went out of business, all gamers everywhere would suddenly start demanding proper quality RPGs, and obviously some other company would fill the void and make nothing but the best games ever, all the time, that didn't appeal to the until-recently-unreformed masses. The only reason they don't get made right now is because EA keeps secretly sniping people who think up awesome RPG ideas and seem like they're actually going to create them.

Also, how dare you enjoy a game without thinking it's the absolute pinnacle of gaming brilliance! If a restaurant serves chicken soup, it should be put out of business for not-serving lobster bisque! *grabs torches and pitchforks*

MAN I love how immediately everything becomes "you're either for or against!" for people on the internet. :)

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

So offically, there are no romances in POE and there will most likely be none at any time?

Sorry to be on topic while everyone is talking about other interesting things, I read through the last few pages but none of it was giving me any inforamtion other then, people dont like romance and people like romance lol.

So offically, there are no romances in POE and there will most likely be none at any time?

Sorry to be on topic while everyone is talking about other interesting things, I read through the last few pages but none of it was giving me any inforamtion other then, people dont like romance and people like romance lol.

No romances in poe. OE might have more time/resources for romances in poe2. Mods will try to pick up the slack in this department.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.