HAHAHAHAHA!

Yes!! This made my day :) thank you.

EDIT: and to contribute...
big-head.jpg

Haha this gives me an idea for an NPC for the game regardless of "Big Head Mode: ON" or "OFF" xD

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 2

I find it interesting that Josh tweeted a sour tweet earlier:

Josh on twitter: "if u tell me 2 make the game i want u can't get mad when i put in big head mode btw"

I don't really get where the flak has been coming from cause I am the only one who have posted anything critical in this thread. I checked RPG Codex, and there wasn't a single negative post at all (yes, shocking, I know). There wasn't a single negative response to Josh tweet either (well, except me, again).

Maybe there's a ****storm going on at Something awful, I don't know, but if not, I don't understand why Josh got so moody about it. Almost everyone have been very enthusiastic about the big heads (which I don't really get, but that's another story).

• Like 1

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

I'm not familiar with Josh's twitter personality, but that tweet sounds pretty playful to me, not sour at all.

As for Big Head Mode, I'm having flashbacks to DK Mode in Goldeneye on the N64. (Except that was Huge Head + Huge Arms).

I'm also reminded of some jRPGs, and their often more cutesy look. (Chibi, I think the term was? Small body/limbs, big head? Hmm.)

Anyway, I think it's pretty cool.

• Like 3

I find it interesting that Josh tweeted a sour tweet earlier:

Josh on twitter: "if u tell me 2 make the game i want u can't get mad when i put in big head mode btw"

I don't really get where the flak has been coming from cause I am the only one who have posted anything critical in this thread. I checked RPG Codex, and there wasn't a single negative post at all (yes, shocking, I know). There wasn't a single negative response to Josh tweet either (well, except me, again).

Maybe there's a ****storm going on at Something awful, I don't know, but if not, I don't understand why Josh got so moody about it. Almost everyone have been very enthusiastic about the big heads (which I don't really get, but that's another story).

His tweet to me comes across as tongue in cheek. He also uses "u" and "2" and he never does that, especially not if he is serious.

Besides, NBA JAM is the greatest basketball real time strategy game of all time. Big Head Mode is an OBVIOUS homage :p

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

There isn't. I strongly suspect you shouldn't take that tweet too seriously.

• Like 1

Yes, a missunderstanding on my part it seems. I apologize.

No, I think you had it right the first time.  After all... Sawyer can be rather big headed.

Well, to be honest I'm a bit suprised there are so few negative reactions. Given how many rejoice the fact that resources haven't been "wasted" on romances, multiplayer/co-op and so forth, I thought atleast some would climb the barricades about this feature, which costs reasources to a very little gain.

Funny or not, to me it feels like a waste of resources. Not just doing/creating it, but also all the time spent in QA to make sure it works/doesn't crash the game.

I don't see it really taking much in the way of resources. If they already have the head marked out as a region in the model couldn't they just apply a universal scaling to that region on all models.

The only issue I see would be armors that have such large Pauldrons that they intersect with the head, but since this isn't a Blizzard game that souldn't be a problem.

Anyways how can Extra Brain Candy Mode be anything but a good way to get a good share of the zombie gamer market?

• Like 1

Fair enough, but I'm pretty sure the resources required for romances would be much more significant than for this "feature"

I get the anti-mancing, but I can't imagine we really lost anything of note for the sake of bobblehead characters. Or maybe they quietly nixed the 15 level mega dungeon for it. Yeah, probably.

Yes, a missunderstanding on my part it seems. I apologize.

No, I think you had it right the first time.  After all... Sawyer can be rather big headed.

Well, to be honest I'm a bit suprised there are so few negative reactions. Given how many rejoice the fact that resources haven't been "wasted" on romances, multiplayer/co-op and so forth, I thought atleast some would climb the barricades about this feature, which costs reasources to a very little gain.

The way I understand this stuff (which means I don't), they just have to scale up some part of a mesh somewhere. I mean, if they wanted to make your whole character bigger by 10%, it's just scaling a 3d model, that shouldn't be that hard. Increasing just the head is probably harder, but given that you can select different faces for your character, this stuff is probably modular anyway, so it shouldn't be such a big deal. How many ressources do you estimate to be 'wasted' on this mode?

Edited by Doppelschwert

Also possibly useful as a debugging/testing tool? I'm pretty sure someone has to run around the game checking whether there's enough (local) variation in NPC faces/hair, and whether it matches up with the description and/or portrait of said NPC. Big Head Mode would make that easier/quicker to check, I think. Could easily win its 'implementation cost' back that way.

I don't see it really taking much in the way of resources. If they already have the head marked out as a region in the model couldn't they just apply a universal scaling to that region on all models.

Adam was experimenting with scaling meshes via associated bones (scaling weapons for race/sex variants was the ultimate goal, IIRC) and big heads were just one of the things he did to prove that it worked.  I asked BMac to associate it with a menu option and that's about the extent of work that went into it.

Comparing it to something like romances or multiplayer is disproportionate by a factor of at least 100.

• Like 14

Comparing it to something like romances or multiplayer is disproportionate by a factor of at least 100.

I completely understand it's not in the same league. I was using (lack of) romances and multiplayer as an example where forum posters earlier have rejoiced at the saving of resources, but when it came to big heads, it was all fun and chuckles (seeing no problem in potential waste of resources).

Even though the implementation might be easy enough, it still needs testing. In the video we saw (atleast) two problems where the feature wasn't working properly and needed fixing (big heads in inventory and the wolves lacking big heads). Resources will be spent for this and other problems that comes along.

This would be fine and all if it was a feature that would have somewhat of a significance for the game but big heads won't have that impact. At most, people will try it for 10 minutes, giggle and then switch back to normal sized heads again. Basically no players will use this feature at any length (my own unscientific assumption).

And also, I'm a grumpy old man.

I don't get it. The entire point of big head mode from the start (I think Goldeneye, since it was a console game with stick aiming rather than mouse aiming,) was to make it easier to get headshots in FPS games.

Unless, of course, there is a system of individual body part damage in PoE I missed.

Edited by AGX-17

I'm sorry.... I didn't know the backers were choosing which specific features are in and which are out. I get that we backed the general concepts, but isn't it a bit pretentious to be demanding - as opposed to stating our preferences- which features are worth the resources and which are not? I usually leave that up to the game developer.

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 6

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I don't get it. The entire point of big head mode from the start (I think Goldeneye, since it was a console game with stick aiming rather than mouse aiming,) was to make it easier to get headshots in FPS games.

Unless, of course, there is a system of individual body part damage in PoE I missed.

no, it's just for the giggles :lol:

Merely another example of the Headonistic lifestyle being led at Obsidian.

Brings new meaning to the Skuldyr - the Dire-Skull!

Ok, I'm heading off now.

Edited by Silent Winter
  • Like 3

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

At most, people will try it for 10 minutes, giggle and then switch back to normal sized heads again. Basically no players will use this feature at any length (my own unscientific assumption).

wrong. I am going to do an entire play-through with a naked party and big head mode on.

• Like 6

^Same.

And I find myself wishing the old IE games had that feature. How cool would it have been if Planescape Torment had Big Head mode? Dakkon, Fall From Grace, Ignus...... MORTE...

I'm sorry.... I didn't know the backers were choosing which specific features are in and which are out.

Big Head mode was the $4M stretch goal, wasn't it. Edited by Stun
  • Like 5

^Same.

And I find myself wishing the old IE games had that feature. How cool would it have been if Planescape Torment had Big Head mode? Dakkon, Fall From Grace, Ignus...... MORTE...

I'm sorry.... I didn't know the backers were choosing which specific features are in and which are out.

Big Head mode was the $4M stretch goal, wasn't it.

I still posit that Extra Brain Candy Mode is a shameless money grab meant only sell the game to the zombie gamer market.

@Mannock: IME when devs put in easter eggs, things are going well. It means they're in good spirits and somebody had a bit of slack waiting for somebody else to do something. No project has gone over schedule and over budget because they were debugging one of those. In a pinch, they'll just remove the checkbox from the settings UI and make you enable it from a console command.

I.e., there are better things to grump about. Big Head Mode is cool.

• Like 6

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com