Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What character/attributes to choose for role-playing?

character roleplaying

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Wombat

Wombat

Obsidian Order's Mysterious Stranger

• Members
  • 1050 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
As for balancing among ability scores, actually, it's been very obvious if you read the devs' posts related with ability scores… I don't know why a part of people overlook the obvious point: The devs are making the game based on their own rules and they can adjust them in a way they like. They made a solid basis during the pre-production period so that they can only need to adjust variables later. I think they are currently optimizing the system while test-playing and, if some people want to join the process, they can do it with a cost with the upcoming beta. They sound quite confident, too. On topic, in PnP experience, the players can interpret the ability score by themselves and arrange it as a part of role-playing but, in CRPG, it's the devs who come up with the actual lines. Personally, I'd assign points to ability scores just for party chemistry and I may find it rather annoying at times if the devs try to define the PC through the stats. So, even if there are choices based on ability scores, I'll probably avoid them when I don't feel it fits my image of the PC.
  • Karkarov likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5954 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

So, even if there are choices based on ability scores, I'll probably avoid them when I don't feel it fits my image of the PC.

Heh, Im just the opposite. If I see an option for a ability/skill response I always take it just because its there.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2701 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk

You can turn that off, right? I remember reading that was among the things you can toggle, dialogue option descriptors like [Intimidate] and [Athletics].

• Karkarov and Sonntam like this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5954 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yeah I think so.

Sonntam

Sonntam

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 385 posts

So, even if there are choices based on ability scores, I'll probably avoid them when I don't feel it fits my image of the PC.

Heh, Im just the opposite. If I see an option for a ability/skill response I always take it just because its there.

I do the same as you usually. But since in PoE successful skill checks are not necessarily win buttons, I may rethink my attitude. What's the point of breaking character if you get no bonuses for that...

Ark Evensong

Ark Evensong

Absent God-King of the Non-Obsidian Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Also, if the demo video is any indication, unless you're hyper-specialized, you'll be offered multiple attribute- or skill-unlocked options in most situations. That's pretty cool, I think.

Edited by Ark Evensong, 02 August 2014 - 06:34 AM.

• Karkarov likes this

MasterPrudent

MasterPrudent

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Also, if the demo video is any indication, unless you're hyper-specialized, you'll be offered multiple attribute- or skill-unlocked options in most situations. That's pretty cool, I think.

I think there's a good chance that the first conversation with attribute/skill unlocks would have a wide range of unlocks so that most players would see some locked and some unlocked and thereby be introduced to the system. As such I don't think it's a given that later conversations will have the same broad range of options.

Ark Evensong

Ark Evensong

Absent God-King of the Non-Obsidian Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah, I know it's pretty much the tutorial, and thus a showcase piece, but one can hope, right?

I really wouldn't mind if like 90% of all dialog options where you try to get something done would be behind some threshold. (Set to values where most characters would unlock half or so?)

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

(I used to houserule this, by the way: I allowed low-CHA brutes to flip the sign on their CHA modifier for Intimidate.)

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me, either for the game balance (making negative modifier a positive thing isn't a good idea and can be abused) or for the meaning of CHA stat. CHA means force of personality, it is not beautiful/ugly axis. To substitute STR for CHA is a recommended way for such situation.

Why is it not a good idea? You don't have to be ugly to be intimidating. Charisma is sort of a measure of the positive force of your personality. That's why people naturally are more accepting of, and react better to, people with high Charisma. Thus, low Charisma produces the opposite effect (people react worse to you, from the start). So, conceptually, it seems like, the lower your Charisma, the easier it'd be to intimidate people with your already-obviously-producing-negative-reactions presence.

As for the balance thing, people with high Charisma might have trouble intimidating people. Problem solved. :)

Understandable in most games, but that may not work so well in this one. Or, it'll yield some interesting results, to say the least. :)

averagedog

averagedog

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 35 posts

As a powergamer, the description of abilities and what they influence makes it more difficult to make the "correct" decisions. There are clearly no dumpstats if you want to make a well rounded character. Dividing the defensive stats among all the non might ability options was a very very smart move. The distribution does make it easier to stat out a "role playing" character though. Like lets say you make a muscular wizard with low/average might. This can reflect his physical strength but his arcane power weaknesses despite being a Wizard of the studies.

It has been too long for me to really remember, but has there been any mention of a release of the ruleset for this game in a player's handbook form?

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5954 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Understandable in most games, but that may not work so well in this one. Or, it'll yield some interesting results, to say the least. :)

Not to worry. After I read you can lose a party member in the first encounters in the game if you dare to choose the rest option, I resigned myself to saving before every conversation. Captain Reload to the rescue!
  • ShadySands, SqueakyCat and Sarex like this

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1918 posts

Not to worry. After I read you can lose a party member in the first encounters in the game if you dare to choose the rest option, I resigned myself to saving before every conversation. Captain Reload to the rescue!

Save scummers unite!

• ShadySands and SqueakyCat like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: character, roleplaying

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users