What character/attributes to choose for role-playing?

Also, if the demo video is any indication, unless you're hyper-specialized, you'll be offered multiple attribute- or skill-unlocked options in most situations. That's pretty cool, I think.

I think there's a good chance that the first conversation with attribute/skill unlocks would have a wide range of unlocks so that most players would see some locked and some unlocked and thereby be introduced to the system. As such I don't think it's a given that later conversations will have the same broad range of options.

Yeah, I know it's pretty much the tutorial, and thus a showcase piece, but one can hope, right?

I really wouldn't mind if like 90% of all dialog options where you try to get something done would be behind some threshold. (Set to values where most characters would unlock half or so?)

(I used to houserule this, by the way: I allowed low-CHA brutes to flip the sign on their CHA modifier for Intimidate.)

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me, either for the game balance (making negative modifier a positive thing isn't a good idea and can be abused) or for the meaning of CHA stat. CHA means force of personality, it is not beautiful/ugly axis. To substitute STR for CHA is a recommended way for such situation.

Why is it not a good idea? You don't have to be ugly to be intimidating. Charisma is sort of a measure of the positive force of your personality. That's why people naturally are more accepting of, and react better to, people with high Charisma. Thus, low Charisma produces the opposite effect (people react worse to you, from the start). So, conceptually, it seems like, the lower your Charisma, the easier it'd be to intimidate people with your already-obviously-producing-negative-reactions presence.

As for the balance thing, people with high Charisma might have trouble intimidating people. Problem solved. :)

Heh, Im just the opposite. If I see an option for a ability/skill response I always take it just because its there.

Understandable in most games, but that may not work so well in this one. Or, it'll yield some interesting results, to say the least. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

As a powergamer, the description of abilities and what they influence makes it more difficult to make the "correct" decisions. There are clearly no dumpstats if you want to make a well rounded character. Dividing the defensive stats among all the non might ability options was a very very smart move. The distribution does make it easier to stat out a "role playing" character though. Like lets say you make a muscular wizard with low/average might. This can reflect his physical strength but his arcane power weaknesses despite being a Wizard of the studies.

It has been too long for me to really remember, but has there been any mention of a release of the ruleset for this game in a player's handbook form?

Understandable in most games, but that may not work so well in this one. Or, it'll yield some interesting results, to say the least. :)

Not to worry. After I read you can lose a party member in the first encounters in the game if you dare to choose the rest option, I resigned myself to saving before every conversation. Captain Reload to the rescue!

• Like 3

Not to worry. After I read you can lose a party member in the first encounters in the game if you dare to choose the rest option, I resigned myself to saving before every conversation. Captain Reload to the rescue!

Save scummers unite!

• Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP