Guess the release date!

I'll update this thread in a bit, but after playing the beta today I have to say I will be VERY surprised if this is actually released in Winter 2014. With the amount of combat rebalancing and bug fixing required I think a Q1 2015 release plus a Steam Early access once the backer beta is more stable is the way to go.

We'll see. It depends how fast they can roll out changes.

Edited by Sensuki

I'll update this thread in a bit, but after playing the beta today I have to say I will be VERY surprised if this is actually released in Winter 2014. With the amount of combat rebalancing and bug fixing required I think a Q1 2015 release plus a Steam Early access once the backer beta is more stable is the way to go.

We'll see. It depends how fast they can roll out changes.

I called it a few months ago in that other thread, but apparently someone thought my prediction was "nonsense."

I still don't think it coming out this year, but hopefully I'm wrong because I don't want to see this game go the early access route.

Edited by Bill Gates' Son

March 18th, 2015.

I'll be very surprised if it's released before Q2 2015.

They have a LOT of work to do, from implementing icons to combat balance to possibly re-designing certain game mechanics (stamina/health feels awful, pretty sure they'll change that at some point).

I see a trend coming - later and later dates - after people have seen the beta and read the feedback and heated discussion, they realize that PoE may get delayed into next year, with spring and summer beaconing. Interesting, interesting... Who will win?

Right now, Gromnir has a pretty cool date. :)

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I can see the game getting an early access before December  (would be wise in order to get money to pursue further the developpement since 4 Millions isn't a lot) but considering the current state of the beta will all the bugs to fix na no way for it to be ready until 2015.

Haven't heard anything back from the mods/obs about the prize pool.

What do you guys want to do about this?

I can offer one digital download of the game when the game releases.

I'm not sure how many of the voters would be super keen on an extra PoE download seeing as most (if not all) of us are digital backers. I'm happy to put a few dollars towards a sub $50 gog or steam game of the winner's choice.

Haven't heard anything back from the mods/obs about the prize pool.

What do you guys want to do about this?

I can offer one digital download of the game when the game releases.

I'm not sure how many of the voters would be super keen on an extra PoE download seeing as most (if not all) of us are digital backers. I'm happy to put a few dollars towards a sub $50 gog or steam game of the winner's choice.

You're right. Everyone could pitch in for $1 and then we see where we go from there. I got another idea. The money we collect here could go towards Obsidian's next Kickstarter game. The winner gets the money to back that project. Maybe?

Again...

Sensuki and Pidesco - y u no keep my vote in the opening post?

because they can't edit it in?

Your down in the latest update post ;)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

because they can't edit it in?

Your down in the latest update post ;)

But they edited in Lephys, who voted after me? :p

(not to mention he picked the same date as me, copycat ^^)

Ah, that's because the OP is still in beta :p

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

February 29th 2016... because that's my next birthday xD

Jokes aside, Feargus is pretty assured the game will release this year, it seems to me that they don't want to release at the same time as Dragon Age (which I think is wise). Around Christmas, December 20-25, I think. I've said in other threads that I wouldn't mind an Early Access program into early 2015 though.

There are several reasons why an Early Access program would be great:
1) The game gets "released" several times (First Early Access "New Early Access on Steam!", second Full Release "New Release on Steam!"). Releases usually gets front page, regardless if Early Access or Full releases.
2) It raises awareness, and Pillars of Eternity may become the best/most stable Early Access title ever (Thanks to us, the first playtester).
3) Later, when the Early Access is finished, the game releases yet again.
4) Obsidian gets tons of more revenue and tons of more marketing in store (Steam).

Key points:
More revenue. More attention. Higher probability to break even.

Larian Studios used 6 months of Early Access for Divinity: Original Sin. And that worked very well for them (I think they were on "Best Buy" for 3-4 weeks afterwards, they broke even). Though, it would be most golden if an Early Access was quicker, 3-4 months. Hmm... could Obsidian talk to Steam and ask them if they can release a "full release" disguised as an Early Access, and then use the revenue for upcoming projects and for expansions?*

I don't view "Backer Beta" as Early Access. Early Access is public beta. Backer Beta says "Public Beta" but it is more or less a "Closed Beta".

* What I talk about is a sort of... Patch Access, or Expansion Access. Obsidian developing more content to Pillars of Eternity over the course of 3-4 months and then releasing "Full Game" in early 2015?

Early Access = Base game
Full Release = Base game+Expansions

Edited by Osvir