Guess the release date!

The only problem i can see to the early access of PoE is that compared to D:OS it will be a short game since it will only be a little bit longer than BG 1 and BG1 WAS short, and now people are used to having a lot of content in their early access, enough to please them for months, I don't see those who pay for early access enjoying having to pay extra money for the 5/8 hours of gameplay we currently have in our beta especially those who played the early access of D:OS or Wasteland 2. 

D: OS is such a long game (70 hours to finish it if you aren't a completist on your first playtrough yep!) that it could afford putting the first map (and there is a LOT of content on this first map) for it's early access, and unlike Josh Sawyer at Larian they don't mind putting spoilers in their early access.

So how could they create an early access interesting enough and spoiler free without ending up by putting a large part of the sidequests of the final game in order to have as much content as WD 2 and D:OS ? (and in fact unless they redo the entire game there is no way it could be done anyway).

And as a sidenote don't get me wrong, replayability and lenght of the game are two very different concepts.

Doubt PoE will end up a short game, especially with the stronghold and mega dungeon, the developers have said it will be a long game as well. And I think it will be more fun to replay it than D:OS. I don't see the comparison between D:OS and PoE either really, such different games. D:OS had way more funding and, even though I like the game, it had too loads of bugs in the beta - I couldn't manage to play it back then.

D: OS is such a long game (70 hours to finish it if you aren't a completist on your first playtrough yep!) that it could afford putting the first map (and there is a LOT of content on this first map) for it's early access, and unlike Josh Sawyer at Larian they don't mind putting spoilers in their early access.

You're exaggerating. Took me 52 hours on my first playthrough and I am a completionist (at least in the sense of doing 100% of all quests).

You should also take into account what kind of content you get. I can't remember any quests in D:OS that had multiple solutions resulting in substantially different outcomes (other than the occasional opportunity to skip content). Lots of the length of the game comes from combat taking longer to happen due to the round-based system.

No i am not Gulliver, look at this tweet from Larian https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/499099679871627264 they said so themselves, you must have skipped a lot of content or are unaware of what you have skipped, otherwise congratulation you have the WR on D:OS because unless you used a walktrough it is litteraly impossible to do everything in 50 hours on your first playtrough no one has claimed having completed it in this short.

Freshlock, Josh himself said the game would only be a little bit longer than BG1 in an interview. 

Haven't heard anything back from the mods/obs about the prize pool.

What do you guys want to do about this?

I can offer one digital download of the game when the game releases.

I'm not sure how many of the voters would be super keen on an extra PoE download seeing as most (if not all) of us are digital backers. I'm happy to put a few dollars towards a sub $50 gog or steam game of the winner's choice.

You're right. Everyone could pitch in for $1 and then we see where we go from there. I got another idea. The money we collect here could go towards Obsidian's next Kickstarter game. The winner gets the money to back that project. Maybe?

As a grand prize, I agree, sounds good. Plus all the Likes and devoted adoration of everyone who participated should go to me the winner. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

• 1 month later...

But they edited in Lephys, who voted after me? :p

(not to mention he picked the same date as me, copycat ^^)

Funny... the main reason I picked that date was because the big list, at the time, had it as an open (un-voted-for) date. 8P

Also, I just think it's great that I hadn't checked this thread in a while, and when I clicked to read the last unread post, this was the first one that popped up:

I'm totally ashamed of everyone that wrote any date past January.

Haha. I know, at the time, it was perfectly applicable. But, in light of the recent delay announcement, it's a little funny. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I am changing mine to January 22nd.  They can't release in February at all cause they will get crushed by the Witcher 3, and that puts them out of this year.  Also I am not sure they can afford to delay so long it goes into March.

I'll give you a hint, they're swedish and start with a P.

OTOH they would have had "disaster fund" money, slacker backer stuff and maybe $ from the deal with PE tools for Torment so, perhaps it's all self-financed ... and perhaps not.

• Like 1

I'll give you a hint, they're swedish and start with a P.

OTOH they would have had "disaster fund" money, slacker backer stuff and maybe $ from the deal with PE tools for Torment so, perhaps it's all self-financed ... and perhaps not.

I don't know, I figured any money Paradox gave them was already in the mix.  I just don't want to find out the expansion fund got slashed and burned to extend dev time.

For now, I'm just gonna stick with what I've been hearing - "Winter 2014."

Not sure if serious

The delay to "early 2015" has already been announced

EDIT- NVM I see what you are doing in the other thread

Technically, nothing has been delayed. Wasn't the release date "Winter 2014?" Winter doesn't start till December, and it ends in March, so an "early 2015" launch, could still be within the Winter '14 prediction.
Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

changing your vote after its become lost while others like me are still in the running is unfair, do I get to change my vote when it isn't Saturday the 31st of January?

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.