So DA:I will have stronghold and crafting too

Well we can hope it's justified. I hope they don't do a DA2 and just not really address the situation (because, frankly, there's no way Hawke-Mage should have not been tossed into the Circle).

Yes I did one play through as Hawke-Mage (my only play through) and no one batted an eyelash every time I cast a spell. I could freely pick between the templars or the mages at the end with no one questioning the massive staff on my back and all them fireballs!

That's why I really don't think DA:I will address it. We shall see... we shall see.

Well we can hope it's justified. I hope they don't do a DA2 and just not really address the situation (because, frankly, there's no way Hawke-Mage should have not been tossed into the Circle).

I'm betting half the appeal of people wanting to play Qunari is solely down to them being unplayable in the first game. Mind you in general, I'm for DA series expanding their racial choices, but they really haven't given a lore way to expand other than Qunari and...intelligent darkspawn I guess.

I think people wanted to play Qunari because they're not Human, Elf or Dwarf. The standard, generic fantasy races are pretty played out by this point, so there will be at least some people who latch on to those races that are new. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

Well, yeah there is that. But I don't see many people clamoring for intelligent darkspawn though, so I think there is an appeal in not being playable in the first game. Or rocking the giant horns. Something like that.

But DA would have benefitted from a few more races.

Yes I did one play through as Hawke-Mage (my only play through) and no one batted an eyelash every time I cast a spell. I could freely pick between the templars or the mages at the end with no one questioning the massive staff on my back and all them fireballs!

That's why I really don't think DA:I will address it. We shall see... we shall see.

My favorite is when you first meet Cullen - you, Anders and Merril all in a group (and Cullen should know Anders since he escaped the Circle in Ferelden) using magic and - yeah there was a Templar Abomination but still I can't believe once he gets back to Kirkwall he isn't telling Meredith about the apostates.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Why the alarm over the fade tearing open? As I remember in DA 1&2 my warden and the idiot killed thousands of demons, abominations and everything else. Seemed just the same as every other opponent.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Why the alarm over the fade tearing open? As I remember in DA 1&2 my warden and the idiot killed thousands of demons, abominations and everything else. Seemed just the same as every other opponent.

My guess would be much like not stopping the Archdemon; if someone doesn't do it they just keep coming until they'll eventually wear down even the strongest fighters.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The main problem is that they don't stop coming out again and again. Demons seem to have no end to their numbers, while humans do. 

And since there appear only more Fade tears and not less, you can figure out which way this is heading. Trying to outkill the Fade is silly, it's just better to close the door tightly and make sure it never gets opened again.

Kill enough and they'll learn, one bumbling idiot can kill thousands so send an army of ten thousand into the fade and you should have what...at least ten million casualties within a few hours at most. Just keep on going and within a few days they should be fairly much extinct. I think they should choose a better threat than their ineffectual demons.

That's just my take on it though.

Edit: Quite a good way to seize land as well if you think about it, the native fauna are easily displaced and eradicated, so advertise the rip as a great opportunity akin to seizing a claim on land in the old west of America.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I trust there will be a more coherent reason to adventure in Poe than a few nuisances appearing before inevitably being swatted. Something personal and nuanced like with most Obsidian games.

Tea for the teapot!

Kill enough and they'll learn, one bumbling idiot can kill thousands so send an army of ten thousand into the fade and you should have what...at least ten million casualties within a few hours at most. Just keep on going and within a few days they should be fairly much extinct. I think they should choose a better threat than their ineffectual demons.

That's just my take on it though.

Edit: Quite a good way to seize land as well if you think about it, the native fauna are easily displaced and eradicated, so advertise the rip as a great opportunity akin to seizing a claim on land in the old west of America.

The whole deal about demons is that they are well... concepts? thoughts? And as long as people dream and think there will be various spirits in the Fade. Trying to fight them all conventionally is like trying to make an ocean evaporate by throwing torches into it.

Kill them all and it will be your concepts and thoughts existing not the demons, ocassionally smack down a few thousand when they're a nuisance, the job seems to be eminently do-able. My warden was able to slay a sloth demon lord and all of his armies on his own ground and none of them got back up.

Edit: Fighting them conventionally has been easy as pie in both previous games, for me at least. As I said earlier I think they should choose a more potent foe, as demons are easily killed and hardly present a challenge or any worthy motivation, at least they haven't done as presented so far.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

Kill them all and it will be your concepts and thoughts existing not the demons, ocassionally smack down a few thousand when they're a nuisance, the job seems to be eminently do-able. My warden was able to slay a sloth demon lord and all of his armies on his own ground and none of them got back up.

Buddy, you realize that demons are concepts and thoughts? More specifically, embodiments of sins and vices? 

You went in, killed everything you saw and then went out. But you could also come back tomorrow and the day after that and the year after that and find as many demons as on the first day. 

And also while a competent mage/warrior may have to problems dealing with them, it's a bother to have the Fade rip all throughout the country. The farmers won't win against demons who pour right above their field. And with more and more tears opening up at the most inconvenient places, you will have problems organizing any kind of food supply, transportation or be able to resume your normal life.

Those tears also don't close by themselves, so eventually demons would be able to appear anywhere at anytime. Sleeping in your bed? Demons. Eating dinner? Demons. Taking a bath? Demons.

Edited by Sonntam

Yes I realise that but they're also easily killed by the bushel, so no real threat and they stay dead, otherwise the sloth demons restraint wouldn't have disappeared when I killed him. I returned to the various parts of the fade and none of the hundreds I killed got back up, that's fairly damning evidence that they are not immortal.

A competent mage or warrior can handle thousands, then i'm sure a farmer can put down a few dozen easily enough, they're an easily contained nuisance perhaps best swatted away with a rolled up newspaper. If the developers want me to care about their threat, they should choose a better one.

Anyway off to the fourty first millenium for a bit of rogue trading, hope I haven't offended anyone, just an honest appraisal using what evidence we have.

• Like 1

Tea for the teapot!

I just saw the news,Dragon Age:Inquisition will have the stronghold(or something like that)and crafting system(extremely interesting,they said).

So, You guys may have more pressures now,genius in Obidian. :devil: Who will win, Obsidian or Bioware? :devil: Who will design the most talented systems.

World of Warccraft has one too :cat:

Source : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/14001702

Edited by Aslinng

So, another Chosen One Who Must Save The World thing, then. Meh.

You say "Chosen," I say "Qualified." "The Qualified One," admittedly, doesn't have much of a ring to it. :)

Honestly, I wasn't very happy with DA2. PURELY from a gameplay standpoint, it was fun to play through it, as opposed to being the opposite of fun. But, it wasn't exceptionally enjoyable, and it could've been with just some different design choices (not even that major, really).

So, I was disappointed in it, and I've been disappointed in a lot of the ways Bioware has approached their games as of late, so I honestly hope they really do take things in a new direction and DA:I ends up being maybe not perfect, but actually pretty all-around great. We shall see, I suppose.

If I actually end up snagging a PS4 before it comes out, it may be one of those "My new console needs a library, so that's tipped my internal vote towards 'get it and risk it sucking'" situations, heh.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Yes I realise that but they're also easily killed by the bushel, so no real threat and they stay dead, otherwise the sloth demons restraint wouldn't have disappeared when I killed him. I returned to the various parts of the fade and none of the hundreds I killed got back up, that's fairly damning evidence that they are not immortal.

A competent mage or warrior can handle thousands, then i'm sure a farmer can put down a few dozen easily enough, they're an easily contained nuisance perhaps best swatted away with a rolled up newspaper. If the developers want me to care about their threat, they should choose a better one.

Anyway off to the fourty first millenium for a bit of rogue trading, hope I haven't offended anyone, just an honest appraisal using what evidence we have.

This would work if your team of characters at any time fought more than 10 demons. A peasant alone without any special equipment cannot kill any of them.

Really?

I thought they were both going to be party-based, single-player, fantasy RPGs - and - both will have strongholds, crafting systems, magic, combat with swords, multiple races, multiple classes.

But we can't compare them?

Screw that. They are peers. We can compare them, and we should.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

Really?

I thought they were both going to be party-based, single-player, fantasy RPGs - and - both will have strongholds, crafting systems, magic, combat with swords, multiple races, multiple classes.

Stun the games will be very different on certain levels, for example DA:I and the Witcher 3  is going to have Romance which for people like us is a massively compelling component in a RPG.

But you are also right, there is no reason why we can't compare them but I would suggest purely from an entertainment perspective as it would be unreasonable to compare factors in games that don't exist.  For example you can't say "DA:I is a better game than PoE because it has Romance",  but it may offer a more entertaining overall experience ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, at least the fade tears make more sense than the we-must-kill-all-organic-life-to-save-organic-life Reapers. Er, a little.

I wish they'd do something that's NOT just a grab-bag of tropes and clichés shaken vigorously and then dumped on the floor.

(There will come a day when I stop grousing about BioWare's writing, but today is not that day.)

• Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Maybe it is explained better at the start of DA:I. I can certainly say that at the end of DA2 the mages and the templars (Chantry) went to war. Mind you this was totally what Bioware did. No one asked them to take the story in that direction.

If I remember correctly, this is all explained in the books (and if Bioware are smart, there'll be a recap in DA:I).

Basically, after the events of DA2 the Mages decided the situation was unacceptable and voted to secede from the Chantry. The Divine agreed with them (at least partially) and wanted to support them. However, the head of the Templars considered that a breach of the terms that linked the Templars and the Chantry. So he decided to secede from the Chantry as well in order to bring the Mages back under control.

So it's a war between the Mages and the Templars gone rogue, with the Divine unoffically supporting the Mages.

Really?

Let's compare Call of Duty and Sniper Elite because they both are shooters.

Let's compare Call of Duty and Sniper Elite because they both are shooters.

Yes? Or better yet, lets compare a single player, party-based Fantasy RPG that Obsidian is releasing later this year, with a single player, party-based fantasy RPG that Bioware is releasing later this year.

And lets make it a comprehensive comparison. Lets compare and judge the depth and immersion level of the two game worlds being presented to us. Lets compare and judge the exploration, the tactical combat, the NPC personalities and development; The UIs, the uniqueness of the classes; the leveling mechanics; the creativity level of the magic system; the weapon variety choices; the games' art styles; the dungeon level designs; the quest content quality; the effect of the player's choices on the world; and how well written, presented, and fleshed out the main storylines are. Lets compare Chris Avellone's writing with David Gaider's.

What's the matter, Bryy? Are you worried that the low budget, kickstarted title is going to completely out-perform the giant, Corporate backed Bioware 'blockbuster' in every single criteria that matters to an RPG fan? I'm Not. There's no doubt whatsoever that DA:I will outsell PoE. But since I'm not an EA stockholder, or a Gamestop franchise owner, I don't really *care* about that. I'm an RPG fan. I only care about how *fun* these soon-to-be-released RPGs are to play, and the impact that they will each have on the genre itself. So yes, Comparing them makes total sense.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 7

@Stun: Absolutely.

And if you like, we can also compare voice acting, animation, production values, cinematics, and graphics. I've no doubt DA:I will excel in all of those areas.

How much that matters remains, naturally, a subjective preference.

Again, what really bugs me about BioWare isn't even so much the streamlined/simplified/twitchy/dumbed-down mechanics -- I can enjoy those perfectly well, if they're well executed, and BioWare's by and large are. What bugs me is that it would be so. simple. to make BioWare's games playing, like, before they hit the bargain bin -- all they'd need is tighter, more coherent, and more creative writing, and coherent, logical, and diverse worldbuilding. Neither of these would affect production costs one bit; they'd still need the same amount of writing and same amount of modeling and animation. It seems like such a colossal waste to put all that loving effort to bring to life a world that's fundamentally boring and lacking in consistency.

And when I really want to cry myself to sleep, I remind myself that BioWare is generally considered to be good when it comes to writing for games.

• Like 4

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

My money is on Obsidian, although I doubt I'll use crafting a lot.

In my opinion it is a silly feature. At least in most games it is silly. The character is a miner/melter/blacksmith/weaponsmith/armourer all in one. How many soldiers and knights in the European middle ages fashioned their own weapons and armour? Answer: None. How many dug out their own ore? Absolutely none! That's why every army had a train with armourers, smiths, cobblers, bakers, merchants and what have we.

The only game I've ever played that had a feasible crafting system is Microprose's venerable Darklands.

Edited by TMZuk