http://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-eternity/obsidian-hope-pillars-eternity-sales-will-fund-its-sequel

The most interesting part in this article is that Obsidian (or at least JE Sawyer) does not want to go back to kickstarter.  I can see how it could be a drain on resources to generate backer rewards and take care of logistics, and the campaign itself is probably exhausting.

As the article mentioned, it might be nice to see them push new IP on kickstarter while concurrently producing sequels using the funds from the previous game.  I would love to see an underwater or desert rpg.

• Like 2

In fairness, I think the OP is a little misleading. Obsidian has been pretty open in saying that they do not want to go back to Kickstarter for a sequel (which is also what the article states). They've also been open about taking another bite at the Kickstarter apple for additional new IPs.

tl;dr - article doesn't say anything new, nor does is say that Josh/Obsidian don't want to use Kickstarter again.

• Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

There's also another interview that says for new pitches they would probably use Kickstarter again. Like a "Beta Protocol" or something. Might have been the RPS interview.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

While I'd probably plonk down the cash for another Obsidian kickstarter game without much of a second thought, I'd also be plenty pleased if PoE ends up being enough of a commercial and critical success that they can become self-sufficient.

Whatever. Do what you gonna do.

I think Josh would use kickstarter for poe2 if he needed to, but he doesn't want to.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.