I have only one UI complaint after watching all that new stuff

there's barely anything to complain about in the current UI. it's just very good as it is! once you fill it out with the chunky bits, it's gonna be great.

there's just one exception:

rqg3IuT.jpg

bad readability, feels repetitive as it scrolls, obvious repetitive patterns, and in general not very attractive. I think a lighter parchment or maybe a cloth texture would make a better background.

that's all, peace y'all.

Edited by Zed
  • Like 10

I'm sure there is going to be a lot of UI changes later.  Lets wait for beta to see how it works in context. But my first impression is that it is clunky and ugly looking.

I'll hold my suggestion until then.

Edited by ryukenden

Zed: I agree. I posted something similar in Sensuki's thread, this is what I meant by "wooden texture blending" - they blend and bleed into each other too much. You need better contrast and such, otherwise, very nice stuff for the UI. :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The character selection screen is obviously stunning, and but only somewhat dramatic.  The Path of Exile selection screen was really well done, so take a look and compare --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NufSERjKm5w

In the inventory screenshot that's clearly a wood theme when the developer video stated they want stone.

Pillars of Eternity's UI, overall, is very utilitarian.  Some of the basics, especially the list-based UIs, aren't likely to change.  But they do have room to add a lot of flair and change that awful theme.

• Like 1

bad readability,

agreed - needs better contrast (or a different pattern).

I'm ok with wood, but parchment might make more sense for some areas.

If they want to stick with wood, they need to look at that text and how it shows up

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Is anyone really having a hard time reading it?  Would the time spent fixing it to everyone's satisfaction (which will totally happen) really be the best use of resources?

Absolutely, it is important. Having a pleasing and easily readable UI is of paramount importance. Many of us will spend hundred of hours playing, and having to squint hard to read the must mundane items will decrease enjoyment of the game.

• Like 5

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Is anyone really having a hard time reading it?  Would the time spent fixing it to everyone's satisfaction (which will totally happen) really be the best use of resources?

I doubt darkening the wood pattern a bit so the white text would stand out more will take much time. I bet it would take five minuets. Maybe less.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Oh sorry for the double post but one other thing... remember, these are streams.  I don't care how high quality your upload and original video are you will lose quality when you upload.  Some of the poor readability could just be a side effect of the upload quality loss in and of itself.

• Like 3

Oh sorry for the double post but one other thing... remember, these are streams.  I don't care how high quality your upload and original video are you will lose quality when you upload.  Some of the poor readability could just be a side effect of the upload quality loss in and of itself.

That is true. The first screenshot of the inventory/trade screen I saw, I thought "man, that IS hard to read!" But then, when I got to watch the demo video, on the 1080p setting, it was actually not that bad at all. I mean, it could probably still use a sprinkle of extra contrast between the text and the wood, but... video quality can be deceiving.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Yeah, but they only work for people under the age of (insert local adulthood age here). 6_u

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Potions of minor regeneration are free?

So is brigandine armor apparently.  Which annoyed me no end they didn't buy it and get out of those rags.

I know, but we have to take into account he was a barbarian. Maybe we were lucky he had as many clothes as he did. And a slave no less, he should have gone all Spartacus on us.

Josh - I am Spartacus!

Tony Curtis - No, I AM Spartacus!

Calisca - No, I am Spa - *BAMPH - Wolf knockdown*

It probably means "console-friendly". You get the gripe. It will be released on consoles after PC is done.

Will it, though?