Gameplay video: Detailed Response

@ Sensuki or anyone else who knows

Are you sure that the flame effect is knockdown?  If so, it is quite odd.

I'm pretty sure the flame effect is fire damage from the torch Calwhatsit is wielding.

Yes, Calisca's torch does inflict a fire DoT when it hits and that's the effect.

Well the knockdown FX from the Wolf version of the Knockdown is exactly the same as Calisca's knockdown, torch or no.

Untie46464tled.jpg

There's clearly a flame effect and a large amount of blur (which is more visible in the video). My opinion is that the existence of the flame effect and the amount of blur are way over the top for the mundaneness of the ability, YMMV.

Looking at the video again, and specifically when Calisca uses Knockdown on the Glenfathan Hunter, I think that the flame seen in that image is a flare effect from her torch and not a part of Knockdown.  Knockdown seems to be the wave effect.  I think that is still a bit too much.  I think they could use a fairly simple white flare effect that was relatively understated.  Wave effects make me think of sound, similar to the Skuldr Stun attack in the Ruins.

• Like 1

You just quoted a screenshot where the wolf Knock Down has EXACTLY the same effect, with a flame to boot .....

Watch the video and look at the WOLF knock down, it's the SAME as Calisca's.

I have no doubt the torch has a flame effect, but so does Knock Down.

Edited by Sensuki

You just quoted a screenshot where the wolf Knock Down has EXACTLY the same effect, with a flame to boot .....

Watch the video and look at the WOLF knock down, it's the SAME as Calisca's.

I have no doubt the torch has a flame effect, but so does Knock Down.

Watch the Giantbomb quicklook. Towards the end of the video Josh makes a death godlike fighter and uses knockdown on wolves and hunters. There is the wave effect, which is accompanied by a slight orange glow, but it's very different from Calisca's flame effect added by the torch. 

Whats with all the colorful glow effects and whos idea was it to add them?It doesn't blend well with the more realistic vibe that POE is striving for and I shudder to think what higher level players will look like with a bunch of protection spells cast on them.Multicolored glowing orbs,why....?

^ Yes, when the death-godlike fighter uses Knockdown, it is definitely a reddish flare effect (similar to Sensuki's screen capture), but there is no flame effect.  thanks for pointing that out.  Either way, it seems to be a bit much, which is more to the point than whether it is a flame or flare.  I think that they should get rid of the wave effect as it resembles a sonic attack and not a physical strike.

Edited by curryinahurry
  • Like 1

You guys are wayyyyy too anal about those effects.  Let someone other than the wizard do something other than generic weapon swings.  I barely even noticed them in the video what with watching the action bars, and looking at name plates, and trying to focus on learning new stuff not seeing just how glowy the glowy torch is ;p.

Also I can tell that the playground was not where Sensuki spent most of his days.

• Like 12

Also I can tell that the playground was not where Sensuki spent most of his days.

That's not true, people are not always the same as they were when they were children when they grow up, for a number of reasons.

I dunno about you guys but SOME of the FX are over the top to me, just like the FX in Grim Dawn are way over the top with too many fluro lights. If I'm noticing that the FX are too strong, then I think that's a bad thing because that's something that rarely ever bothers me.

Edited by Sensuki

That's not true, people are not always the same as they were when they were children when they grow up, for a number of reasons.

He made references to the TV show Prince of Bel Air, and you apparently didn't get them. ;) ("at the playground was where I spent most of my days [...] then a couple of guys who were up to no good started making trouble in my neighborhood")

Other than that, I actually get pretty annoyed by over-the-top effects in RPGs. I wouldn't like it if a simple knockdown had a fire effect for no reason. I haven't seen the video (trying to avoid spoilers), but maybe he had enchanted items that caused the fire effect?

Edited by Fearabbit
  • Like 3

The sonic wave FX seems redundant, and might actually get slightly in the way of what is going on. Those thuds plus the prone body is plenty of feedback (assuming those thuds signify knock-down?).

• Like 1

This statement is false.

I dunno about you guys but SOME of the FX are over the top to me, just like the FX in Grim Dawn are way over the top with too many fluro lights. If I'm noticing that the FX are too strong, then I think that's a bad thing because that's something that rarely ever bothers me.

Played a little b-ball outside after school did you?  You should be happy FearRabbit stepped in, I could have kept this going for days.

He made references to the TV show Prince of Bel Air, and you apparently didn't get them. ;) ("at the playground was where I spent most of my days [...] then a couple of guys who were up to no good started making trouble in my neighborhood")

One reference as far as I can tell. I used to like that show when I was younger, but that's just not my style of humor anymore. Satire or bust. Trailer Park Boys is the modern best comedy show, hands down.

I would have got it as soon as you said that line. I know the main title off by heart :p

Where a couple o guys that were up to no good, started making trouble in mah neighbourhood!

I'm not sure why you would bring it up though. I have pretty high attention to detail for stuff I am interested in. The PE team asked for feedback and I'm giving feedback. So far PE is good, but if everyone just said "yeah nice job guys woo hoo" then that's not very constructive. Granted I was the first person to bring it up, but I'm not the only one that finds the knock down FX off putting. It's just supposed to be a simple mundane ability, with a simple effect.

PE is as close to my dream game as it's probably going to get, and I'm probably going to be one of the most anal bunts (see if you get that reference :p) regarding feedback because I want the game to be the best it can be.

I am also a big fanboy of "the IE feels", so most of my suggestions generally fall into that line.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

You guys are wayyyyy too anal about those effects.  Let someone other than the wizard do something other than generic weapon swings.  I barely even noticed them in the video what with watching the action bars, and looking at name plates, and trying to focus on learning new stuff not seeing just how glowy the glowy torch is ;p.

I sort of agree. I do think Sensuki has a point when saying that the team (presumably) wants feedback from us backers, but at the same time we on this forum have a slight tendency to go super-nitpicky and into the smallest details. I wouldn't mind reducing the size and prominence of the shockwave in the knockdown move, but I don't see it as a huge deal either. So while I didn't really notice it while watching it the first time, I do see how it's something that might be annoying when you use the same ability dozens of times over the course of the game. 

All in all, yes nitpicky, no not perfect. Which is what our complaints really boils down to, no?

It's not a shockwave it's a circular blur effect, it's diameter is taller than the human PC model (which is extreme). All that is really needed is small, unique hit effect on the unit. You can see that they've been knocked prone.

A shockwave to me is more like what the skuldr blur effect is, something in a line, or a cone. Like the Tauren Chieftain Shockwave in Warcraft 3.

Lots of discussion on issues helps the devs make an informed decision if they don't already have a solidified one already.

Edited by Sensuki

I watched the Giant Bomb vid for a third time (Yes, my anticipation level is that high, thank you!), and I just realized that the loot one of the Oozes leave behind is a cloak made out of fabric. Presumably, it's super-magic and very easy to clean from goo. Wouldn't it make sense that nearly nothing organic besides perhaps bone can survive an unknown number of days inside an Ooze as loot? Something for Obsidian to consider when doing loot tables for Oozes, Gelatinous Cubes, etc. :)

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Come to think of it, I don't think the first ten minutes of any of the IE games or their successors was hard at any difficulty, except maybe TOEE if you beeline for the moathouse instead of running errands in Hommlet to get you to level 2.

BG can be if you rush out of Candlekeep at level 1.

Or if you're just a Mage. That first guy that tries to kill you in that building near the barracks got me a couple of times before I got lucky enough to end him with me Quarterstave...

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Played a little b-ball outside after school did you?  You should be happy FearRabbit stepped in, I could have kept this going for days.

I heavily considered continuing it, heh. Since I didn't, as penance, I'll deliver the pun of the day:

That big purple machine is so mysterious... I can't even begin to Glan-fathom what it does! 6_u

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

What bothers me is that during dialogue, the game pauses and the flames from the fire are static. Characters are frozen into place, there is no movement whatsoever . It gives a synthetic look.

If I have a dialogue in a bursting marketplace, I would like to see some movement, people walking around, dogs licking their butts/balls around me, rats crawling out of a sewer, smoke rising out of a chimney etc

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

After watching the IGN Video with no sound on again I am going to have to be critical as possible on your video since it is Alpha, and the Journalists have no balls when there talking to you about it!

You Models colors are really off, there like shade of gray or light blue?   Is that a race thing?  they don't look as human skin tone.

It's night but there is to much light.

The combat is horrible.  Your over using way to much of this Glare fx thing for everything that your models do in combat.

There are not enough Animations in the combat making it look very non exciting.  The weight of weapons isn't coming through

and character models are not acting accordingly to be hit by those weapons.

When I had the sound on the Foley sounds were not enough and once again the combat was pretty light because it was missing those sounds, of weapons and reactions from characters need to be heard and felt.

Your Fog of war is to much and needs to be cut back a bit.  

The red under enemies is to bright and glaring.

There is no gore or blood when in combat or after combat.

Since this game is going to have a lot of combat I would think your company would bust ass to make it as

believable and immersable as possible, which believe me I know is insane work but you have the models now and everything else, you guys can do this.

Monsters all seem to move at the same pace fast, in fact everything like combat is to fast and doesn't seem strategic. 

I think the Inventory screen needs some more detail. 

All Items on characters should show up on a character in there inventory.

All Icons should be displayed in the inventory as the item.

There should be something in the background of the character Paper doll screen other then a wall of color?

I don't have a problem with anything else I think it all looks fantastic for your game.

Since this is based on an Alpha look of the game I am sure you will be tweeking things till release.

What bothers me is that during dialogue, the game pauses and the flames from the fire are static. Characters are frozen into place, there is no movement whatsoever . It gives a synthetic look.

If I have a dialogue in a bursting marketplace, I would like to see some movement, people walking around, dogs licking their butts/balls around me, rats crawling out of a sewer, smoke rising out of a chimney etc

I don't know about you, but when I read I generally prefer to keep the amount of audiovisual distractions at a minimum.

• Like 3

This statement is false.

I think the color palettes for cloth especially could use some work, and a few more colors at least. The IE colors had a cool gradient effect as well where they were bright in the middle and darker on the outside. The PE ones do have a slight gradient but not hugely noticeable.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

You Models colors are really off, there like shade of gray or light blue?   Is that a race thing?  they don't look as human skin tone.

Hi StrangeCat,

is your computer monitor calibrated?

Mine is, and I can tell you skin color in PoE is neither grey nor light blue. Not particularly natural, if you will, but that's mostly because it lacks texture and it is completely flat. Anyway, you can change skin color during CC if the default color is not to your liking :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Maybe the Dispositions system is the most creative part in the vedio.

For now ,we have seen 5 personnalities in the vedio:Honest,Diplomatic,Passionate,Rational,Benevolent. I guess there will be 10 for total.The others maybe Humor,Selfish,Insidious, and...Chaos?

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget