Gameplay video: Detailed Response

In the IGN video the interviewer asks how a standard barbarian would be built stat-wise.

I'm curious if someone *cough*Josh Sawyer*cough* could describe how the standard for other classes looks like, particularly ciphers. Pretty please?

• Like 1

I'm really impressed with the feeling that emerges this video... something between BG and IWD... so good to see this in 2014 ! love it !

(of course i expect some improvement on dialog UI, animations or other points... but this old-school rpg feeling is alive.... ALIVE ! ^^ )

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

Yes, sort of.  Wizards do not have a recovery time/penalty, but their spells are locked out for a while after they switch.  Tim is going to add a recovery time (2 seconds to start with) when any character switches weapons (PC or AI).

So what does that mean for changing rings, helmets, belts, etc. mid fight. Is it even going to be possible?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Yes, sort of.  Wizards do not have a recovery time/penalty, but their spells are locked out for a while after they switch.  Tim is going to add a recovery time (2 seconds to start with) when any character switches weapons (PC or AI).

So what does that mean for changing rings, helmets, belts, etc. mid fight. Is it even going to be possible?

I'd bet that you can't switch armor pieces during the combat... it would be stupid imo

One jarring element of combat animation to me is the combat idle animation that playable races have. I did ask Josh about this on tumblr, but in the IE games, there is a difference between the BG games and the IWD games in how characters are poised during combat. The default IE animation from Baldur's Gate has the characters holding their weapons at the ready, and pulsing up and down to likely simulate breathing - visible in this video 
 which is actually the 1PP BG1 animations modded back into IWD1. In the IWD games, characters look idle in combat. In IWD1 they practically stand there doing nothing, but in IWD2 they have an idle combat animation similar to the one used for PE, which is no doubt where the animator has gotten his/her inspiration from there.

Dito, that would be my main concern. I remember how I found this very irritating in IWD1 (especially after playing BG) and it certainly disturbs me in PE. Some more ready weapon stance would pep up combat considerably imo, as it is now it looks a bit sterile. 

I've also noticed that the male character models appear to always leave their heads hanging to much to the front, as if they were slightly crooked or had problems with their necks, but perhaps that's just me..

Overall, these are still minor things however. Environment art looks good, even beautiful occassinally, the story and how it is told and the world in general gets me excited. Really liked how you can choose different cultures and several backgrounds.

You can't change non-weapon equipment at all in combat.

Ok, then it makes sense to put a penalty on weapon changes. I thought it was going to be like in the IE games, only not being able to change armor.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I've also noticed that the male character models appear to always leave their heads hanging to much to the front, as if they were slightly crooked or had problems with their necks, but perhaps that's just me..

Now that I think about it, it was actually the same in the IE-games. A real spiritual successor it seems..

Yes, Calisca's torch does inflict a fire DoT when it hits and that's the effect.

I might've missed it, since the stuff scrolls so quickly, but this fire effect didn't seem to be logged in the combat log. I was just curious... is that because of an intentional setting (only show some things in combat log, or something to that effect)? Or is the combat log simply incomplete at the moment?

Also, I believe you've said in the past that mousing-over an entry in the combat log will show all the parameters that led to the resulting graze/hit/miss/effect, etc.. Is that still true, and is there an option to show an expanded combat log by default?

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

4) Now onto race like godlike, it looks kind of weird on the design of the godlike especially the head. It looks over exaggerated. I don't mind a slight variation of being different but the head is just too extreme making it look like alien-breed. But on the other hand, they have perfectly human body with humanly pair of hands. I hope the head can be reworked as it looks really bad to me.

This is only one of the possible heads for Death Godlike. We were shown others during one of the updates and those heads were much smaller. There is still a very alien look to the Death Godlike, but I think that's actually a good thing. Death is meant to look frightening, not just "whelp, I got a bit pale-ish skin and maybe dark eyes". 

Eh, even so I will say that in my opinion they went a little overboard with the horn on that version of the Death Godlike. I think even at half the size it would still get the point across.

Looking at him at an unfavorable angle he looks like one of the aliens from the movie Coneheads.

• Like 2

Yes, Calisca's torch does inflict a fire DoT when it hits and that's the effect.

I might've missed it, since the stuff scrolls so quickly, but this fire effect didn't seem to be logged in the combat log. I was just curious... is that because of an intentional setting (only show some things in combat log, or something to that effect)? Or is the combat log simply incomplete at the moment?

Also, I believe you've said in the past that mousing-over an entry in the combat log will show all the parameters that led to the resulting graze/hit/miss/effect, etc.. Is that still true, and is there an option to show an expanded combat log by default?

That would be interesting to know, such as knowing that fortitude checks are being made against the spider's poison (if it's poisonous) after each bite.

• Like 1

Everything was great, the only thing I do not like the 3D models in inventory screen. I think they should be completely removed and leave only illustrated picture

I'm OK with a 3D model, but not if it's going to be that blocky and low res. I'd much rather go for a stylized 2D paper doll, or better yet, maybe a paper doll that sort of resembles the sepia tone, pen & ink style seen in those scripted interaction cut-scenes.

Using 2D assets would mean that only a tiny subset of equipment types would ever be represented on that screen and would have little to no correlation to the 3D character.

Which doesn't bother me, but I completely understand that puts me squarely in the minority.

That would be interesting to know, such as knowing that fortitude checks are being made against the spider's poison (if it's poisonous) after each bite.

Yeah, as it stands, the only "special" attack effect I saw represented in the demo's combat log was the Ooze's corrosive attack. Well, and the trap-floor's fire damage. Again, I might've missed it, but I didn't even see any evidence that Calisca's torch was, mechanically, attempting and failing (or succeeding, for that matter) to inflict any kind of burn effect on her foe.

Just curious about that. I know it's an early build, so I just kind of reserve judgement as if it's an actual design flaw, and figure it's something not-quite-finalized.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Much like a standard elemental damage add in A/D&D, the torch's Burn damage is not rolled for separately, but applied automatically on a successful weapon attack.  Secondary effect poisons (e.g. like those from a spider) not only require the initial attack to succeed, but need a separate attack of their own.  Most commonly, the secondary attack is against Fortitude.

Yes, mousing over an attack in the combat log expands to show the full breakdown of the mechanics.  I'm not sure if we will have a "verbose by default" feature because it becomes pretty close to illegible very quickly.

• Like 3

were it intentional that in character creation at both ign and g-bomb that the same cc options were getting the invisible hand of click? seems odd that there were no clicking on ciphers, priests, chanters, etc... no dwarf or orlan?  am getting that the whole thing were rehearsed, but why only paladin, barbarian, and fighter in both gameplay videos? why only halloween and human for race options? almost by accident one would likely click cipher when josh mentioned them. that didn't happen.

based on what we saw and considering some feedback comments, am guessing that character creation ain't complete.  and did we hear why no talents or skills?

*shrug*

extreme basic mechanics looked nice although lack o' any magic were painful obvious.  the video were very scripted and limited, but looked encouraging.

complete side-note: aesthetics o' the effect/ability/whatever icons were reminding us o' ps:t versions.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Too many words. Did not read. Just waiting for game release. Full stop. I once used a ham radio. Lots of old guys. Not all of them were creepy. Not all.

It's funner to go in more or less blind than to suck every little bit of info out of the devs for years.

Edited by AGX-17

Much like a standard elemental damage add in A/D&D, the torch's Burn damage is not rolled for separately, but applied automatically on a successful weapon attack.  Secondary effect poisons (e.g. like those from a spider) not only require the initial attack to succeed, but need a separate attack of their own.  Most commonly, the secondary attack is against Fortitude.

Ahh, makes sense. Many thanks!

I guess my only remaining question is, other than the graphical effect letting you know that your "elemental" weapon dealt its extra damage, how do you know how much damage you actually dealt in, say, Crushing, and how much you dealt in, say, Burning? Is that included in the verbose date for that line in the combat log?

I guess it just seems useful to be able to pause and look back at the log to see "Oh, every time I hit this guy with my crushing weapon, I'm doing pretty good Crushing damage, but he's only taking like .25 damage from the fire effect. He must laugh in the face of fire damage." If that makes sense.

Again, I could've missed it (it was all scrolling quite quickly, and all I could do was rapidly pause the video), but all I saw was "hit such-and-such for X Crushing damage", or something along those lines. My immediate thought in that fight was "How much damage is that guy taking from being on fire?"

Or does the weapon-effect damage just count as additional whatever-damage-type-the-weapon-is damage?

That's actually the way it works right now, though Roby is putting in a pop-up to warn people that they have unspent points.

........its hard to breath.....so...so...so......HAPPY!!!!!

In all seriousness, if i could i would hug yal for that! Please dont change it, something so simple does so many things, just tyvm!

One of the feedbacks that I keep hearing is that the combat was way too easy. The response i hear sometimes is "it's just early-game. Early game always sucks." Or some sort of variation on that.

One of the proposals i had for the beta was that it should include parties in the low-level, mid-level, and high-level gameplay as well as combat challenges respective to that (early, mid, and late game) just so players can give feedback on combat difficulty and how the game "feels" during those portions.

Yes, players might get to play with all the abilities early, but you can't just tweak early-game.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Also im gonna say i think the game is beautiful. It oozes with a certain style that i dunno gets me excited and just in awe to look at. Ive been playing divinty sin lately and yes i will agree the graphics dont look as good but ill also admit the graphics look cartoonyish whereas this one from what im seeing has a nice gritty vibe with it im loving.

Now im not knotching divinty sin at all, while it is a fun game and looks good, it looks good because its got that style thats a bit cartoonish thats not going for realism but id dare say im getting fable style vibes from it. And thats ok because thats its own identity and style. PoE (have we agreed on an acronym for it yet?) doesnt look as bright but thats ok, because its got that gritty realism vibe and tbh i find the graphics on it gorgous! Yal are doing a great job so far with the graphics and hell im satisfied with the graphics right now lol.

ok im problemly rambling due to these meds so ill stop here and end by saying Pillars of Eternity looks gorgous!

were it intentional that in character creation at both ign and g-bomb that the same cc options were getting the invisible hand of click? seems odd that there were no clicking on ciphers, priests, chanters, etc... no dwarf or orlan?  am getting that the whole thing were rehearsed, but why only paladin, barbarian, and fighter in both gameplay videos? why only halloween and human for race options? almost by accident one would likely click cipher when josh mentioned them. that didn't happen.

based on what we saw and considering some feedback comments, am guessing that character creation ain't complete.  and did we hear why no talents or skills?

*shrug*

extreme basic mechanics looked nice although lack o' any magic were painful obvious.  the video were very scripted and limited, but looked encouraging.

complete side-note: aesthetics o' the effect/ability/whatever icons were reminding us o' ps:t versions.

HA! Good Fun!

Every sex/race/class/culture combo has its own set of meshes for both the base character body and the equipment they are wearing (armor, shields, and weapons).  Between all combinations, there are thousands of different meshes to make up those appearances.  Those meshes have all been finished for a while, but they still often pop up with bugs.  Sometimes an alpha channel isn't set up properly, or a tint-map isn't working, or the wrong appearance is mapped to the prefab, or it just plain looks ugly.  We only clicked on the things that we had specifically tested for the demo to make sure they didn't have any problems.

• Like 5

I also think it might be worthwhile to consider a separate render for the close-up of the party members during inventory. I'm not sure what the drawbacks/proscons are (texture size, render time, what else), but it really does put the players off, especially because character creation is the first of the game that we actually see.

^ oh wait, you answered part of question.

Good luck Josh. I say Josh but I mean all of the crew on the PoE team. You gals/guys have truly done a bang up job.

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Secondary effect poisons (e.g. like those from a spider) not only require the initial attack to succeed, but need a separate attack of their own.  Most commonly, the secondary attack is against Fortitude.

Nice. :)  I'm a big fan of secondary effects that work like this (not just poisons, but also other debilitating effects). Adds so much to combat variety.

Also! Maybe some enemies are less vulnerable to mind* affecting spells * :aiee: *, or crits * :bat: * and sneak attacks * :alien: *. Not immune, just less susceptible; e.g. instead of suffering +50% damage it's just +25%.

*Specifically due to their mind being different, and not because of a high Will defense.

• Like 1