IGN Article about PoE.

I don't see the issue with the term "girl gamer" either. Anyone who does is just trying to be a social justice warrior.

Well, in 90% of cases where it's used it usually is followed by insults, questioning the gamer creed or some sort of sexual remark. 

Not a big surprise people start tiptoeing around it. 

Well, in 90% of cases where it's used it usually is followed by insults, questioning the gamer creed or some sort of sexual remark. 

Bullsh1t. People have been saying girl gamer since like the early 2000s at least, as far as I can remember. It's because gaming has traditionally been more of a male activity, it's only now that gaming is a part of pop culture that it's evened out a bit more.

It's like in a majority white area and you say "that asian guy" to refer to your friend called Steven Ho. It's not being racist and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Same with saying girl gamer.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

Huh, I'm surprised that josh says that you actually don't lose your weapon if you throw it at the attacker. I'd prefer it to be more consequent.

Maybe you should listen that part again.

Huh, I'm surprised that josh says that you actually don't lose your weapon if you throw it at the attacker. I'd prefer it to be more consequent.

Actually he says you DO lose it so there are consequences (that was a point he was making through the video about actions having consequences) :)

My bad, sry. I even thought I should probably listen to it another time before commenting -.-

Somehow sounded to me like he said 'throwing your weapon actually means you don't lose your weapon though'. Maybe because the structure of his sentence implies that what happens is contrary to what you would expect and I'd naturally expect the weapon to be gone, idk.

But that's a good thing then. :)

Bullsh1t. People have been saying girl gamer since like the early 2000s at least, as far as I can remember. It's because gaming has traditionally been more of a male activity, it's only now that gaming is a part of pop culture that it's evened out a bit more.

It's like in a majority white area and you say "that asian guy" to refer to your friend called Steven Ho. It's not being racist and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Same with saying girl gamer.

..just like I feel I should say things such as: "This is my good friend, who is a girl", sometimes. You know, it means something.

Does "girl gamer" mean something other than that "awkward boys are here" in this case, though?

Anyway. Well done, Josh. Very nicely presented :D

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

You sure you're not just saying that because in recent years it's been a fad to point out stuff like that? It might just depend on your social circles, I don't know.

I played competitive Call of Duty (1, 2, 4 and a bit of Black Ops) in the Australian PC Call of Duty scene for 8 years (2005-2012). There were almost zero girls that played between 2005-2007. I literally did not encounter one single female PC Call of Duty player in that time.

There was like a handful of girls in 2008 that played in the casual (free) leagues and by 2010 there was enough that the female AU PC Call of Duty players were given special permission to form an all girls team called "Girls Gone Wild" and they were also allowed to play in their home teams as well (none of the guys were allowed to do that). Most of them played in the lower tier competitive leagues, and there was only one girl that ever made the top league (DashDash / Karmun Suen). Even still, the ratio was like 100 males to 1 female.

In competitive games especially, there is usually a large difference in skill between male and female gamers. Sure, there are certainly female gamers that are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the majority of male players, but nowhere near as good as the best male players. That's why there are often different leagues for male and female gamers at a competititve ($) level just like there is in sports. You use the word female gamer when you are making a distinction between male gamers and female gamers, just like you would if you were talking about a male tennis player or a female tennis player.

When ManifestedISO said "wow she's pretty good for a girl gamer" he was making a perfectly normal distinction between male and female gamers, because historically, male gamers are generally more interested in things like mechanics and stuff like that, but Meghan Sullivan oneUPed both of the GiantBomb interviewers in that regard, and he was just surprised because that's not what you would expect. I would say that's a completely normal response.

It's not sexist, it's not misogynistic, it's a completely bloody normal statement based on historical expectations. And in my eyes anyone who thinks otherwise has just been influenced by the recent social justice warrior trend that has been popularized by many gaming sites such as RockPaperShotgun. Quite frankly I'm sick of it. I can completely understand a chick saying something like "you could just call me a gamer, you know :P" in a jesting manner but the guys who white knight the issue over completely normal statements like the one ManifestedISO made are just plain ridiculous in my opinion.

I guess if you're coming from something like a World of Warcraft environment or something like that, there's probably a more even ratio of guys to girls playing or something.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 4

I wonder if there's a chance to fail certain actions within a scripted interaction. Take the one where you can throw your weapon to save Heodan as an example: your dexterity isn't high enough, so your throw misses the pissed off Glanfathan and inflicts a severe case of sharp-metal-through-face on poor Heodan.

I wonder if there's a chance to fail certain actions within a scripted interaction. Take the one where you can throw your weapon to save Heodan as an example: your dexterity isn't high enough, so your throw misses the pissed off Glanfathan and inflicts a severe case of sharp-metal-through-face on poor Heodan.

There is actually. Let me find the quote for you and I'll edit my post.

I have a question regarding Scripted Interactions. Is the PC always the character who "interacts" with the world through Scripted Interactions, or does it work for whichever character you have selected ? Also for group actions such as "Climb a cliff", "Swim through an underground tunnel" and "Jump over a Bridge", does the one character's check count as a pass for the whole party, or is each individual character's attribute or skill checked individually?

It depends on the interaction. Sometimes it's a single character, other times it's the group and individual members of the party can become injured by being below the threshold. "Injury" in this case means a penalty that lasts until the next time you rest: twisted ankle, swollen eye, etc. Similar to the Dragon Age injuries but less... long-term-sounding.
Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

You sure you're not just saying that because in recent years it's been a fad to point out stuff like that? It might just depend on your social circles, I don't know.

I played competitive Call of Duty (1, 2, 4 and a bit of Black Ops) in the Australian PC Call of Duty scene for 8 years (2005-2012). There were almost zero girls that played between 2005-2007. I literally did not encounter one single female PC Call of Duty player in that time.

There was like a handful of girls in 2008 that played in the casual (free) leagues and by 2010 there was enough that the female AU PC Call of Duty players were given special permission to form an all girls team called "Girls Gone Wild" (...)

I was going to say something about how girls who enjoy playing Call of Duty probably also have just as serious ****-compensation issues as the boys. But then it sort of seemed just.. completely unnecessary to point out as I read more.

I mean, look - they're not girls, who are gamers. They are gamers, who happen to be girls. Difference.

..Anyway, back to the program.

---

First time I'm seeing actual gameplay at least.. The shaders are sweet. Not extremely impressed by the fighting animations so far. They're perfectly fine, on the level of everything else. But the shaders for the fog and light-effects following the terrain and so on are really good.

• Like 1

Mainstream Call of Duty (Non-modded CoD4, CoD5, Black Ops, MW2, MW3, Black Ops 2, all that bull**** with attack dogs, choppers, stun grenades etc) is absolutely horrible and everything you think about it is absolutely correct and then some.

Competitive Call of Duty (Call of Duty 1 with PAM Mod, Call of Duty 2 with PAM Mod and Call of Duty 4 with Promod) were quite valid FPS games that required quite a bit of skill to play, particularly the earlier titles, which focused more on individual aim, skill and game smarts, whereas CoD4 is more about team performance as it's harder to shine as an individual player.

What you said is a tautology, but I see what you're getting at. I think my point about making distinctions due to historical expectations still stands.

Edited by Sensuki

Go Zoroaster.

...Just a point about the dialogue options and the role of the playable character - anyone else thought it was refreshing to see a lowly caravan guard actually not be anything else at the start of the game? No one defers to you, the more experienced soldier thinks you're a fool, events will continue without you, no one pays any special attention to you, etc. Thought that was really well done. Pretty tired of the entire "Hallo, oh completely unproven foreigner/elf/farmer/shoeshiner with a suspicious air of commanding authority and whose word will decide the fate of the kingdom for no apparent reason".

• Like 3

Go Zoroaster.

...Just a point about the dialogue options and the role of the playable character - anyone else thought it was refreshing to see a lowly caravan guard actually not be anything else at the start of the game? No one defers to you, the more experienced soldier thinks you're a fool, events will continue without you, no one pays any special attention to you, etc. Thought that was really well done. Pretty tired of the entire "Hallo, oh completely unproven foreigner/elf/farmer/shoeshiner with a suspicious air of commanding authority and whose word will decide the fate of the kingdom for no apparent reason".

Well, just wait till we get out of the tutorial. I bet by the time it's done we will be the hottest **** on this side of Eora. Kings will defer to us, villages will ask for our council, fate of countries and gods and men will be decided by us. 

Y'know, the usual.  :grin: 

Yes the NPC lines all felt very natural, although I thought the player responses were ... really dry.

I think this is sort of typical to Obsidian's writing. Its characters are usually pretty reserved and in dialogue you rarely show a lot emotion... even Might or Threaten dialogue options are usually more sophisticated and calm than you would expect.

Yes the NPC lines all felt very natural, although I thought the player responses were ... really dry.

I think this is sort of typical to Obsidian's writing. Its characters are usually pretty reserved and in dialogue you rarely show a lot emotion... even Might or Threaten dialogue options are usually more sophisticated and calm than you would expect.

Yeah, there was this one time I busted into some crazy iron throne villain meeting in BG1 where the bad guys busted out this big drawn out bit of dialogue telling me what sort of mistakes I had made.

I responded quite eloquently by saying.

"Eat cold steel!!!"

Well in the other games I just recall there being more responses that weren't simply one-liners.

The NPC writing in the BGs is pretty reminiscent of 90s media. Not all the time. Irenicus was cool, but he told you what his plan was and that's how you knew how to beat him (at least partially), reminded me a bit of Shredder from the Ninja Turtles. Sarevok didn't do that though.

Edited by Sensuki

Making money on streaming cleavage and games.. Sounds legit.. Breasts seem to be a good thing to have..

Well they need money to pay off said cleavage.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I don't see the issue with the term "girl gamer" either. Anyone who does is just trying to be a social justice warrior.

Here's the thing I hate about that:

A) Making females indistinct from male gamers does them no more justice than making them exaggeratedly distinct. Girls are girls, for what it's worth. It's not bad, or good... it just is.

B) It's kind of insulting to take a perfectly harmless phrase, and tell people that, because other people mean negative things by it, you must mean negative things as well because you merely spoke the same words.

People with a cause really need to learn a thing or two about opposing the ideas their against, and not the words people decide to use. Things can be said with all manners of connotation.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 4

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I guess some of the intention with not having too detailed or characteristic player responses is that you can fill in your own more easily. Always hated that with voice-acted player speak, for example. In the sense that the developers want to impress on the NPCs what you really meant. Mass Effect 1 did this well - had short descriptions Shepard expanded on when acting the situations out, that worked, if you wanted to guide Shepard around. Planescape Torment was sort of the same approach, that the player is characteristic on beforehand, but his intentions are what you decide..

But having a shorter line where you see the intention, or it's flagged on beforehand, but that isn't littered with characteristic flairs and so on -- that helps a lot when you don't want to have fifteen different lines for each class and sexes and combinations and variants, and so on.

People with a cause really need to learn a thing or two about opposing the ideas their against, and not the words people decide to use. 

Sounds like some liberul elitist school bs to me!

..seriously, though. Most of the time lately, the problem is that people in "the public sphere" are getting better and better at using exclusive code when they speak. Until no one really knows what it means, just that they like the sound of what is being said. And couldn't care what those words actually imply.

And don't insult people's intelligence by suggesting that labels singling out specific people from a group - aren't used with that specific intention. Frankly, don't even claim it is something else, or that the purpose of that is only benign appreciation. 

One example of how this works was a guy who genuinely believed for himself that he wasn't a racist, because he didn't use the wrong words. Asked him what he thought racism was. Couldn't really answer, had never spoken to a black guy before, but had seen a black murderer on tv once. That's some inter-planetary class self-insight going on right there. The second most favourite version was a guy who hated everything politically correct, but thought he should be taken seriously since he obeyed the "political correctness" demand. That his actual opinions were **** -- no big deal, he thought. After all, it's only the words that matter. I was being unfair for making him look bad when untangling his bs.

After one of these exhaustively interesting conversations, one person volunteered that perhaps getting to a reasonable level of half-orderly thought was necessary to get anywhere at all. Like a foundation. I said, like school, for example? Yes, yes. That was perhaps it, they said, though they were not certain.

I mean, it's not exactly strange that while traits of different kinds have evolved in humans over thousands of years - the brain hasn't changed at all. That's not how we evolve, right? That's not what the survival trait was, to have individuals who can think for the entire tribe, and move **** with their brains and crush enemies with extremely hard thinking. We have stories we tell instead, so people can learn things, and society evolves instead.

Or so the theory went, anyway, until I got involved with politics.

Edited by nipsen

And I think people who use the term "social justice warrior" as an insult are vapid idiots. 

• Like 4

Sounds like some liberul elitist school bs to me!

Just sounds like an observation, to me. Although I did horribly typo "their" instead of "they're." Ahh it hurts me when I do that, haha.

But, all I mean is, if you're against the public's view of female gamers, be against he public's view of female gamers. All this "wait, you actually used the word 'girl' to describe this gamer, who is a girl? YOU CHAUVINIST!!!" is silly. Heh. "Obviously, the fact that you typed 'girl' instead of just leaving the gender off means that you are way too focused on gender, and feel that her being a girl means something bad, which I'm against, so my cause leads me to shun you! SHUNNNNNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!"

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Girl gamer? As if the gender is relevant? She's a gamer, just like anybody else is.

QFT. Let's stop differentiating between male and female, we're all gamers! ;)

Spoilers: they did, kind of...they told us about a good deal of the campaign's story. I stopped reading part way through because I didn't want to know any more about what was going to happen to my character. I must say, though, character creation sounds awesome! I love the way you can select culture and ethnicity, because that's one thing I've always found lacking in CRPGs (except maybe for the Elder Scrolls games).

• Like 5

Ludacris fools!