Giantbomb Quicklook on the 24th

By the 'ability effects' I was thinking of the special FX rather than the power of the abilities - some seemed very big for what was a small ability. (large waves of power coming off it)

Err..Did they? I didn't have such feeling although I watched the video several times...anyway,is that a weakness?

Yes it is - it's not a game-breaking one, but it's distracting when I'm looking at more effect than combat.

This is an IE-style game, not Street-Fighter Alpha ;)

A larger effect from spells is ok - having a rippling from a basic hit seems strange to me.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

By the 'ability effects' I was thinking of the special FX rather than the power of the abilities - some seemed very big for what was a small ability. (large waves of power coming off it)

Err..Did they? I didn't have such feeling although I watched the video several times...anyway,is that a weakness?

Yes it is - it's not a game-breaking one, but it's distracting when I'm looking at more effect than combat.

A larger effect from spells is ok - having a rippling from a basic hit seems strange to me.

Yes, I get your point.A muscle power shouldn't have a magic effect.

If the can design a model action to show that ability, that would be great.But ,it do cost money~

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

I don't know if this has been asked, but the bodies of fiends that you kill, are they supposed to disappear as quickly as they do in the gameplay video? Or will the duration be increased - or perhaps even permanent, or user controlled - in the final release of the game? I mean, it would give a certain sense of cold-blooded seriousness to the frenzy of battle if the freshly decomposing bodies of enemies would remain, lying scattered about gutted, still, and gory. Having them simply vanish that fast makes me wonder what ghastly maggots must inhabit Eora.

• Like 3

1 thing I dont like are bows - or more specificaly there is no arc on arrows - that was done almost perfectly in ToEE, anyway just a minor thing

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I think its only on barbarian, because he got cleave talent

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I don't know if this has been asked, but the bodies of fiends that you kill, are they supposed to disappear as quickly as they do in the gameplay video? Or will the duration be increased - or perhaps even permanent, or user controlled - in the final release of the game? I mean, it would give a certain sense of cold-blooded seriousness to the frenzy of battle if the freshly decomposing bodies of enemies would remain, lying scattered about gutted, still, and gory. Having them simply vanish that fast makes me wonder what ghastly maggots must inhabit Eora.

What makes it even more jarring, in my opinion, is that the corpses of the caravan crew, the deer (?) by the wolves and the lootable dead adventurer inside the little dungeon are all displayed for the purpose of narration.

Also, the lack of XP from combat meaning that combat, apart from the occasional loot, is more about the actual carnage itself. 

This statement is false.

Also, the lack of XP from combat meaning that combat, apart from the occasional loot, is more about the actual carnage itself. 

I see it as the other way around. With no xp for kills, there is no point in killing more than you really have to, to finish the quest.

If you get xp for every kill, the incentive is to kill everything you see (assuming you like to gain levels). Talk about carnage.

• Like 1

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

I see it as the other way around. With no xp for kills, there is no point in killing more than you really have to, to finish the quest.

If you get xp for every kill, the incentive is to kill everything you see (assuming you like to gain levels). Talk about carnage.

No no no no no, I wasn't criticizing the lack of combat XP. In fact, I'm pretty excited about that aspect.

What I was getting at was the visual storytelling; the dead caravan, deer, adventurer/gem thief could all have been handled via those illustrated text screens - but they're not.

So, when the game kills someone and leaves their corpse laying around for the player to see, it's narration. But when the player kills someone/-thing it is not storytelling? 

If you happen to backtrack for just a moment, it's as if those enemies/creatures you slaughtered were never even there... *spooky music*

• Like 4

This statement is false.

What makes it even more jarring, in my opinion, is that the corpses of the caravan crew, the deer (?) by the wolves and the lootable dead adventurer inside the little dungeon are all displayed for the purpose of narration.

Yes, I can understand that they have narrative corpses permanent, and in perfomance aspects, I reckon, that to have non-narrative corpses disappear is advantageous to hardware - whether old or new. Though, to have them too be permanent, as otherwise changeable settings, or have the duration last until PC exits/changes the over-arching map area, is beneficial to the roleplaying aspect, the feel and the immersion and so on. For example: PC slays an abominable monstrosity, spilling guts and intestines all over the place, and as you are frenzied beyond your keyboard and mouse, then, suddenly, the nasty remains vanishes, its gone, whisked away by the next gust of wind - so, what is left to show that a great battle recently occurred? Where is the gory face of that recent battle? But then again, I can't argue that much about this, since I don't know the supposition and the purpose behind having non-narrative corpses vanish like they do, or as fast as they do. Is that how it is supposed to be, or is it merely a temporary function for beta?

As for the lack of XP for combat, it can really go both ways, as it comes down to how one player perceives or enjoys to play his games - a game doesn't play by itself, and so it might become a crutch, or it might not be anything of concern or notice at all. But does it really change the fact that combat, either way, is always a carnage? The only difference being that one receives the XP later, rather than sooner, while the purpose of combat remains the same - either you leave a carnage, or you become the carnage.

Here's another observation.

Enemies drop their possessions when they  :skull: , so filling two or more of their weapon set slots results in much more loot. Much more loot could lead to a destabilized economy. 

I suppose it would be all right for archers to have a backup melee weapon. Melee combatants will do fine with a single weapon set.

It will not be a real IE RPG if you don't end up with xxxxx extra gold and no way to spend it :)

• Like 1

Enemies drop their possessions when they  :skull: , so filling two or more of their weapon set slots results in much more loot. Much more loot could lead to a destabilized economy. 

I suppose it would be all right for archers to have a backup melee weapon. Melee combatants will do fine with a single weapon set.

Since it seems like there is a more FO style barter system for the merchants (i.e. merchants have finite currency, but value on items can be traded for other items) I don't see this as a huge problem. There is also the a level of diminishing returns on attempting to balance loot/currency economy because in the end players are going to break it if they want. If someone feels the need to drag every.single. dagger they find around with them, more power to them. Let them be ones that break the economy as opposed to the economy be balanced around and forcing me to skin every enemy down to their last follicles in order to afford camping supplies.

No no no no no, I wasn't criticizing the lack of combat XP. In fact, I'm pretty excited about that aspect.

What I was getting at was the visual storytelling; the dead caravan, deer, adventurer/gem thief could all have been handled via those illustrated text screens - but they're not.

So, when the game kills someone and leaves their corpse laying around for the player to see, it's narration. But when the player kills someone/-thing it is not storytelling? 

If you happen to backtrack for just a moment, it's as if those enemies/creatures you slaughtered were never even there... *spooky music*

Oh the missing corpses?  That's cause you ate them.  Everyone gets hungry after a long caravan trip amiright?  But they gotta avoid that NR-17 or AO rating so it all happens in chat....  *more spooky music*

• Like 2

Since it seems like there is a more FO style barter system for the merchants (i.e. merchants have finite currency, but value on items can be traded for other items) I don't see this as a huge problem. There is also the a level of diminishing returns on attempting to balance loot/currency economy because in the end players are going to break it if they want. If someone feels the need to drag every.single. dagger they find around with them, more power to them. Let them be ones that break the economy as opposed to the economy be balanced around and forcing me to skin every enemy down to their last follicles in order to afford camping supplies.

I expect there will be a "take all" button, which is certainly going to help you with "forcing me to skin every enemy down to their last follicles" (sounds very time consuming, indeed).

You cannot balance the economy around players that choose to ignore loot.

Otherwise, I think we can agree that this is one of the reasons to not load enemies with additional weapon sets. I wouldn't like finding 2 or more weapons (+ shield) on every enemy capable of wielding them, on top of everything else.

In my first playthrough, I'll scrape bones and suck the marrow out of every corpse. Each and every item will be crammed into my planet-buster of endless invo. I have no idea what they are good for, but in they'll go. I'll be the ultimate junk hoarder. :getlost:

• Like 4

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

In my first playthrough, I'll scrape bones and suck the marrow out of every corpse. Each and every item will be crammed into my planet-buster of endless invo. I have no idea what they are good for, but in they'll go. I'll be the ultimate junk hoarder. :getlost:

I always form caches in each Dungeon I retrieve after I have it cleared.  I could take me quite a few trips back to town to get all the loot out.

• Like 2

Otherwise, I think we can agree that this is one of the reasons to not load enemies with additional weapon sets. I wouldn't like finding 2 or more weapons (+ shield) on every enemy capable of wielding them, on top of everything else.

... Maybe we could introduce some kind of iron contamination, so that most looted weapons were significantly less useful. 8)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

^sell 1 used longsword for 1cp ... sell 1000 used longswords - woohoo, I can now buy a ............ brand new longsword!

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

... Maybe we could introduce some kind of iron contamination, so that most looted weapons were significantly less useful. 8)

Your iron shall forever be contaminated, for you have not defeated the Iron Throne!  :nuke:

• Like 1