Giantbomb Quicklook on the 24th

About the dialogoue, when Heodan be controled,there are two dialogoue need attribute qualifier;

[Might 14]Only a fool attacks a weak enemu while a stronger one yet lives.

[intellect 13]You can kill him but you might as well be killing yourself.

But my feeling is the first one should qualify Intellect, the second threat one should qualify Might.Am I wired?

Well, it seems like the first one is basically saying "What's the matter... can't handle anything but a weakling?", and sort of flexing your "muscles." That's why it's a Might check. If you're too puny, it wouldn't work. It's pretty much a taunt, though.

While the second seems to be appealing to reason. You know, "If you really think about it, killing him might not be the best idea."

Although, the way that's worded, it COULD also just be a threat. So, I don't think you're weird. It almost sounds like "Kill him and see how long you live..." BUT, it could also be "Just think about it... we don't really have a reason to kill you yet, but if you kill him, we suddenly do. What's more important? His death, or your life?" *shrug*

EDIT: I failed to mention that the "threat" is worded awfully intellectually. You could almost start it with "Confucius Say," :). So, yeah, that reinforces the "you're not weird for thinking that."

About the first one, yes, I understand "Strong or not" need to check "muscles".But the logic in the dialogoue is very wired.In my opinion, only a fool attack a stronger enemy first while a weak hostage under his control. :dancing:

And the second one, the logic is reasonable.But the words make me confused.Maybe this one will be better: "Release him and we will let you go,I promise.Otherwise you need to face our blades."
Edited by bronzepoem

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

I was having such a good day, and this game footage of poe was cool... It seems however, that life has chosen to kick me in the teeth just a moment ago. I won't be posting on the forums anymore for a while.  ;(

I am back sooner than I expected. I also want to apologize for posting something a little depressing on a happy thread. Earlier while I was reading the thread something occurred and in a moment of foolishness I let my problem be the thread's problem. My bad; I'm sorry. It won't happen again.

I like you, I'm glad you are still active on the forums, yaaaaaaaaaaay :thumbsup:

Anyone who can sit through several of our Romance debates and still be civil and offer constructive comments has the type of equanimity that is nothing short of impressive and is the type of personality we really want on these forums :teehee:

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 3

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

About the first one, yes, I understand "Strong or not" need to check "muscles".But the logic in the dialogoue is very wired.In my opinion, only a fool attack a stronger enemy first while a weak hostage under his control. :dancing:

And the second one, the logic is reasonable.But the words make me confused.Maybe this one will be better: "Release him and we will let you go,I promise.Otherwise you need to face our blades."

True. They're a little weirdly worded. They remind me of when games sort of present you with dialogue options that are summaries of what it is you're supposed to be saying. You know, the line you click says "I don't want to risk the villagers." Then, your character actually says "No, that would put too many villagers in harm's way. I don't want to do that unless there's no other way." Etc.

I'm not saying they ARE, just... that's sort of how they're worded. 'Cause the "only a fool" one seems to be trying to be smart or something. It kinda sounds like a philosophical barbarian or something. The Intellect one really sounds abbreviated, though. If that's what it means. I haven't seen the video yet, so I don't have much context to go on. But, if it means "think about this, it's not worth your life," then it seems like it should be less "*shrug*, then you're probably gonna die, too." Just seems like someone in a hostage situation would take that as a threat.

Maybe a question would work better? "Hold on, now. How do you see this playing out if you kill him?" Something like that? *shrug*

At the very least, they appear to be a bit strangely worded. Not crazily weird. Just a little. But, again, I don't have much context. They could make perfect sense in full context. Maybe there're different wordings based on your character personality/stat choices? Maybe that's partially placeholder dialogue? *shrug*. There could be any number of factors there.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Yeah, I dunno... I mean, if "Only a fool would attack a weaker foe, *hair toss, caviar eat*" is supposed to just be a taunt/provocation, it seems like something else would work a lot better.

Such as...

"You fight pretty well against an unarmed man" or something. Or maybe an intimidation? "Hmm *thumbs edge of blade*... I might break my record for limbs severed today. *smirk*"

*shrug*. It's almost like he's using Might... to try to convince the person that fighting a weakling is beneath him?

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Generally very pleased with what I saw, it looks amazing...except for the UI.  I'll have to comb through this over the weekend to get a better idea of it, but really, wow.

They said they'll going to put in a more solid UI.

The UI is much closer to ToEE than the IE games as others have mentioned.  Adding a solid frame isn't going to change the graphics.  Its not necessarily a bad thing, but I'll likely not exercise that option is it won't add any real aesthetic value.  Also, my problem with the UI, as I have stated multiple times and I know won't get changed, is the locating of portraits horizontally at the bottom of the screen.  The two IE games that utilized that orientation were PS:T and IWD2.  PS:T was an alternative setting and IWD2 had, what was considered by many to be the worst of the IE game UI's.  The U shaped frame of both BG's and IWD are the iconic Infinity UI's and I wish they would have gone more in that direction.  

Anyway, it's something that has been debated over and over, and at this point falls into the realm of pet peeve for me.

@curry,

Didn't they say somewhere that it would actually be decently customizable? I don't think it's supposed to be MMO "literally just put any individual object on the screen in any spot you wish" customizable. But... I could've sworn they said something about that in response to that whole thread wondering whether the UI would be modern or oldschool solid. Something about "we want the option for that oldschool solid UI, but we also want it to be a little more versatile."

*shrug* My memory fails me.

Did anyone else feel that the game looks too much like Baldur's Gate? I mean literally, even the mouse cursor is the same?? Don't get me wrong I am as excited about this game as everyone else, but it's just that I was hoping the game to be inspired by the old BG type games, but stand on its own feet as a new take on the genre like Divinity has done. Now to me it looks like Pillars of Eternity is a BG sequel made 10 years ago.

• Like 1

^ I don't recall anyone at Obsidian saying the UI would be adjustable/transposable.  The thing is that the way the UI elements are depicted, in a sort of wireframe style with fairly delicate ornamentation isn't going to mesh well with any chunky frame.  We kind of have an indication of this in the dialog window where the portraiture and wood block frame visually clash in my opinion, looking like to different motifs stuck together. We also see it in the corners as Sensuki pointed out in one of his posts.  Which btw, contrast with the trading screen which is terrific; graphically consistent and nicely balanced.

Edited by curryinahurry

PS:T was an alternative setting...

Well, just to make sure you realise this, but this game is also using a different setting from BG and IWD. Just saying...

But anyway, to me it doesn't really matter that much. In the grand scheme of things the UI isn't really that important when compared to other aspects of game design (unless it's like Arcanum's, at which point it becomes a problem).

Larger font size for the text... Check! Great, we can read without using a magnifying lense!

View distance increase... NOT check! Characters still sit at an open area without been able to see past 3 meters away. Please, please, please do something about this. It is, at least to say, ridiculous. Characters should be able to see where their eye goes not 3 meters straight forward and everything else covered in darkness!

Animations where not that good I guess. They were a bit boring. Character model at char creation screen also didn't look very nice. Like a toy or something.

With the IWDish inventory and menus I am indiferent. I'd like something more modern, larger icons but I don;t bother much.

Other than that, loved it. Many choices at character creation, all stats matter no matter what.

SUPERB roleplay via dialogue and drawn interactions (stats matter, items you carry matter, reputations etc - impressive at least).

Puzzles - great!

Environments were very beautiful, especially the dungeons. Great atmosphere.

Enemies have abilities that matter even the easyest ones. Loved that.

Fast moving characters - loved that also.

To be honest, I didn't expect that I'd be dissapointed. I knew we'd deal with the beast role play in the genre, because... Obsidian without publisher :p and I just loved seeing that in action. I can live with not so good animations and outdated inventory/icons design - they' re not gonna make me love the game less.

The only thing I care about right now is the SHORT, 15-YEARS OLD (at least!) VIEW DISTANCE BS!!! Other than that, I have complete faith in Obsidian that this will be the best party-based crpg till now.

@Lychee

By Alternative I did not mean so much different in location as different in game design ethos and style.  The game was largely designed as an alternative to the sword and sorcery fantasy of the other IE games...that is certainly not the intent behind PoE

Edited by curryinahurry

One thing I noticed at the demo video (don't know if someone else has already said that - didn't read all the posts) is that when you are about to use something (like lite a pillar with a tortch or throw your weapon to the enemy) there is no indication of how many of these things you got. So you assume you just use that thing and that's it. But we know that you lose it after using (or throwing) it. It'd be good to have an indication when you're about to use something, telling you how many of these things you got. That way, first, you know you're abou t to lose it, second, knowing you're about to lose it, you are reminded how many more you got. Else you'll have to know by heart how many of each little thingies you carry with you.

Hope they implement this detail.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 2

Wow... Just, wow! It looks amazing! Feels inappropriate to try and give it some sort of word, as if a word could describe the sheer amazingness of, if you ask me, this art that I'm looking at! :banana:

purple is my very favourite colour, and it makes sense as a colour for magic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrian_purple

The dye was incredibly expensive and fairly rare, making it something only the wealthy (those with access to education) could afford.

Purple was seen as the colour of wisdom, and aren't wise men wizards? :p

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I don't mind purple or bright pink per se for lighting effects, magic effects, glowing apparatuses in evil wizard labs, etc. Heck, it's in several of my all-time-favourite games!

It's just that it has been used to death, so I'd prefer some variety and perhaps a toned down use of it. I even like the colour purple, heh.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***