Giantbomb Quicklook on the 24th

I think its ironic that at 6:07:

'So you must have some other plan in mind for coming this way.'

1: -'I hope to meet someone and fall in love.'

I know how that one is gonna end :dancing:

JnVRbVg.png

Ha. Haha. Hahaha! BWAHAHAHAHAHA! An adventure is all about the romance, baby! :D

This is the consolation prize for promancers. Cherish it, there probably won't be any more.

LOL Yep. When developers troll, it's a marvel to behold. :)

Well, what are you guys waiting for? Take this info to the Romance thread and show it to Bruce already!

Hold on, I haven't watched the video but how do we know its a fake because its seems like the beginning of an exciting Romance arc :dancing:  :dancing: .... :wub:

I want a Romeo and Juliette romance. 

Go into a town, fall in love from first sight, marry on the second day, have five people killed on the third day and then leave on fourth day, because your husband is dead now too. Woops. 

Edited by Sonntam
  • Like 2

Hold on, I haven't watched the video but how do we know its a fake because its seems like the beginning of an exciting Romance arc :dancing:  :dancing: .... :wub:

You really didn't disappoint me Bruce :no:

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Only if that arc happens to be: looking for love in allll the wrong places. Since, you know, there are no romances in PoE.

But that's my point, what if Obsidian just said that so when we do find out there is Romance its a completely unexpected surprise ?

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Only if that arc happens to be: looking for love in allll the wrong places. Since, you know, there are no romances in PoE.

But that's my point, what if Obsidian just said that so when we do find out there is Romance its a completely unexpected surprise ?

If it is it might more end up like Sonntam just described.

I did like all of the dialogue nodes however I think there should maybe have been an outright aggressive one, something akin to the terrifying presence perk of New Vegas. However I assume the passionate thread can blossom into such.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Yeah, especially the part in the IGN video where after seeing this screen josh is asked by the reporter if there are any romances and he responds that there aren't is meant to indicate a completely unexpected surprise.

As I've stated earlier in the romance thread, I take this also as clear confirmation of space ship battles and a cameo of Vin Diesel.

Damn that looks good. Can't wait to smite some spiders with my Paladin.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Looooooved this video, so glad I backed this game.

It looked just like a throwback classic IE game.

The dialogue/choices seemed great and most of all varied, lots of choices and options how you want to do things.

Also.......CLOAKS! :w00t:

Edited by Stiler
  • Like 1

Generally very pleased with what I saw, it looks amazing...except for the UI.  I'll have to comb through this over the weekend to get a better idea of it, but really, wow.

They said they'll going to put in a more solid UI.

Looks really good overall, if a bit simplistic probably due to being the very beginning of the game. But at least it seems like the hand-holding tutorial portion of the game will be quite fast-paced, so that's good. I really liked the varied dialogue options.

Some specific thoughts, questions and critiques:

• In character creation, I didn't notice any mention of the racial bonuses, but maybe that hasn't been implemented yet. Also, I think it would be good to just have more gameplay-relevant information at that point in addition to the lore, for example how big an effect each point of an attribute has.
  • I understand that it's a work in progress, but I hope there's a lot more attention to presentation in the final version of the character creation screen. Once you get to the main game, everything ties together nicely, but due to some flaws and quirks the character creation screen gives a cheaper, clunkier first impression. Part of it is the zoomed in view of the character model, which looks worse than when it's zoomed out during gameplay and probably can't be helped. But there are other things that can be fixed, like how when you switch from Meadow to Ocean human, the default option is a rather unnatural looking dark skin + pale straight hair combo. That's fine as an option, but as the default it just makes the Ocean human option seem like a lazy palette-swap.
  • Related to the last point, I hope there end up being appropriate matching portrait options for all or most expected character appearance options. You probably can't make enough portraits, even if some are just minor variations, to cover every single permutation, but most of the ones that you expect people to choose should be covered.
  • Lore representation question: some of the Glanfathan enemies seemed like big, bulky humans. I thought they were supposed to all/mostly be elves and orlans?
  • Other lore representation question: how come selecting an Ixamitl barbarian gives you a fellow with fairly sophisticated-looking armor/clothing while selecting an Aedyran barbarian gives you a guy in rags? Aren't both nations supposed to be at around the same tech level?
  • Maybe I just missed it and it'll be clearer in game, but I didn't see any particular visual feedback for engagement and disengagement attacks. Maybe it ends up feeling intuitive when you're actually playing, but it surprised me that engagement didn't feel like a big deal in the videos.
Edited by Gumbercules
  • Like 1

One thing that is kind of concerning to me at the start of the game is due to the fact that there's no skill selection in the character creation, how is a new player supposed to know what skills are other than seeing a few options in the dialogue?

They won't really know about them until they hit level 2.

• Like 1

It looks how I remember BG looking when I was twelve and every game looked amazing.

But with PST's writing and IWD's atmosphere.

And a much better UI than any of them.

And there are scripted interaction things and pretty in-world animations and it moves way faster and the combat looks awesome and I am in romantic love with everyone who had any part in this and I wish I could spend another thousand dollars on it and oh my god oh my god OH MY GOD HAD I BUT WORLDS ENOUGH AND TIME TO PROPERLY CONVEY MY EXCITEMENT

This is a knockout punch right in them warm and fuzzy nostalgi-feels, Obsidian. You know those "Grape Job!" stickers that you scratch and then it smells like grapes? You get two of those. Three!

Christ, and I haven't even played the thing yet...!

• Like 11

It looks how I remember BG looking when I was twelve and every game looked amazing.

And there are scripted interaction things and pretty in-world animations and it moves way faster and the combat looks awesome and I am in romantic love with everyone who had any part in this and I wish I could spend another thousand dollars on it and oh my god oh my god OH MY GOD HAD I BUT WORLDS ENOUGH AND TIME TO PROPERLY CONVEY MY EXCITEMENT

This is a knockout punch right in them warm and fuzzy nostalgi-feels, Obsidian. You know those "Grape Job!" stickers that you scratch and then it smells like grapes? You get two of those. Three!

This kind of excitement is infectious :dancing:

• Like 4

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Encore!! :yes:

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I really like what I am seeing here. I love the backgrounds (dissident, philosopher, clergyman) and how they're also different by culture. I'm noticing a very conspicuous obfuscation of how Brandon carefully avoids selecting certain options in character creation, as well as dialogue (a shame! I would have loved to have seen the descriptions of the Vailians, for instance) So I'm wondering, is that because you guys didn't want to show that, or was it unfinished/tested?
Loving the UI too.

One thing though...

color-wheel-digital.jpg

Could we maybe select our character colours off of this one?

Edited by JFSOCC
  • Like 2

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

In character creation, I didn't notice any mention of the racial bonuses, but maybe that hasn't been implemented yet. Also, I think it would be good to just have more gameplay-relevant information at that point in addition to the lore, for example how big an effect each point of an attribute has.

Someone on Neogaf found this :

Racial bonuses - from Gamebanshee

* Aumaua: +2 Might

* Humans: +1 Might, +1 Resolve

* Elves: +1 Dexterity, +1 Perception

* Dwarves: +2 Might, +1 Constitution, -1 Dexterity

* Godlike: +1 Dexterity, +1 Intellect

* Orlans: +2 Perception, +1 Resolve, -1 Might

Looks perfect to me. Dwarves +con -dex is the correct way to do dwarves.

Edited by Aslinng

One thing that is kind of concerning to me at the start of the game is due to the fact that there's no skill selection in the character creation, how is a new player supposed to know what skills are other than seeing a few options in the dialogue?

They won't really know about them until they hit level 2.

I would like to be able to select a talent at level 1 to imprint a style from the get go, but yes, skills are also important.

@Aslinng

Josh Sawyer listed the racial bonuses a few days ago and noted that they're not final.

Eora's dwarves are kind of strong!  :yes: That's fine, though there's lots of +Might already so I'd prefer an accent on Constitution.

• Like 2